• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Intolerance Daemonic?

Ellen Brown

Well, where I'm coming from here is that the term also had a quite specific meaning in ancient Greek and later Hellenistic religion which didn't have the same kinds of necessarily negative connotations that the word 'Demon' has.

I'm a white, American, outcast as a Muslim, who pretty much has to figure it out for herself. And, I write Science Fiction. :)

Neutral Name

A sincere question I continue to grapple with is this: How should we deal with the intolerant? Should we tolerate intolerance? It seems a bit paradoxical.

I believe in praying to God that they will change and come to be loving. The higher power can change all things for the better.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I believe in praying to God that they will change and come to be loving. The higher power can change all things for the better.

That could lead to anarchy. Do you tolerate thieves, or do you think we should have laws?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Depends on if it is extreme and if we make an idol of intolerance or tolerance for that matter. Both can be taken to the extreme and worshipped as an idol. If you are tolerant to the point where you can't discern what is be tolerated and what is not to be tolerated then you have taken it to the extreme.

We've all seen members of, I think, every belief system murdered, often in their places of worship. I've lived a profoundly naive life, not understanding that there could be so much hatred in the world, and often it is acted out by people who seemed like Normal members of our society.

I don't understand or agree with anti Semitism, or Christian killing or Muslim killing. This week, it seems like there has been an angry group every single day.

I've not focused on any sort of satanic or demonic activity, but now I am wondering.

I think it was Ernst Junger who said that "man was not made for peace" but whoever said it I think there is some truth in it. At one point in European history people believed that spread of business across countries would lead to an era of peace but we now know that business interests are just as likely to spark wars as Religion or what have you. I think in this life people will always find one reason or another to be violent, as humans we have a violent nature that will find mass release from time to time no matter what we do.

The Reverend Bob

I think it was Ernst Junger who said that "man was not made for peace" but whoever said it I think there is some truth in it. At one point in European history people believed that spread of business across countries would lead to an era of peace but we now know that business interests are just as likely to spark wars as Religion or what have you. I think in this life people will always find one reason or another to be violent, as humans we have a violent nature that will find mass release from time to time no matter what we do.
Intolerance can be a good. If the people of Europe were intolerant of Hitler's territorial expansions prior to the war instead of appeasing him in the name of peace and tolerance they would have been spared a lot of suffering and death.

Neutral Name

That could lead to anarchy. Do you tolerate thieves, or do you think we should have laws?

i do believe in laws but I believe even more in God. God is more powerful and laws can cause as many problems as anarchy. For ins. tance, because I know someone who was murdered, I used to believe in capital punishment until I found out that some innocent people had been put to death. Now I belong to the Innocence Project. Also, I believe that each person is on their own walk. Someone who is a thief may be a drug addict. He or she may have started with legal prescriptions then become addicted. Or the person may be starving or have children which are starving. Meanwhile, white collar criminals are getting away with stealing millions and then c
Intolerance can be a good. If the people of Europe were intolerant of Hitler's territorial expansions prior to the war instead of appeasing him in the name of peace and tolerance they would have been spared a lot of suffering and death.

I'm sure that there is a time when people must "take up the sword" but not over every little thing.

The Reverend Bob

I'm sure that there is a time when people must "take up the sword" but not over every little thing.
Like it says in Ecclesiastes "There is a time for war and a time for peace", sometimes we focus on or idolize one over the other that we can no longer discern when it is a time for war or a time for peace

Neutral Name

Like it says in Ecclesiastes "There is a time for war and a time for peace", sometimes we focus on or idolize one over the other that we can no longer discern when it is a time for war or a time for peace

That makes sense but I think of Jesus saying "turn the other cheek" and "give him also your coat" and similar things. So, I think that first we are to try to do things without violence or anger.