• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Intolerance Daemonic?

Ellen Brown

We've all seen members of, I think, every belief system murdered, often in their places of worship. I've lived a profoundly naive life, not understanding that there could be so much hatred in the world, and often it is acted out by people who seemed like Normal members of our society.

I don't understand or agree with anti Semitism, or Christian killing or Muslim killing. This week, it seems like there has been an angry group every single day.

I've not focused on any sort of satanic or demonic activity, but now I am wondering.

dingdao

The eternal Tao cannot be told - Tao Te Ching
No, no, I attribute it to Kali.

Those humans are supposed to have a loving God.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We've all seen members of, I think, every belief system murdered, often in their places of worship. I've lived a profoundly naive life, not understanding that there could be so much hatred in the world, and often it is acted out by people who seemed like Normal members of our society.

I don't understand or agree with anti Semitism, or Christian killing or Muslim killing. This week, it seems like there has been an angry group every single day.

I've not focused on any sort of satanic or demonic activity, but now I am wondering.

No, because there are somethings IMO, we should be intolerant of. Like child abuse for example.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
A sincere question I continue to grapple with is this: How should we deal with the intolerant? Should we tolerate intolerance? It seems a bit paradoxical.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No, because there are somethings IMO, we should be intolerant of. Like child abuse for example.
There's a difference between actions, child abuse in your example, and intolerance based on race, religion, national origin etc. The later is what to me the OP is asking about.

I don't believe in what Christians and others refer to as "demons". But I do see intolerance as retrogressive into the dark past and tolerance as part of what is forward looking and positive.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A sincere question I continue to grapple with is this: How should we deal with the intolerant? Should we tolerate intolerance? It seems a bit paradoxical.
We occasionally see examples of where intolerance was successfully challenged and caused someone to renounce intolerance. This is one example of where it worked A Former Neo-Nazi Explains Why Hate Drew Him In — And How He Got Out

The article ends

So I started to sell punk-rock music and heavy metal and hip-hop and when the customers came in to buy that music, who were often African-American, or Jewish, or gay, at first I was very standoffish, but they kept coming back.

The community, even though it's Chicago, everybody knew what I was doing, everybody knew how hateful I was and how violent I was, but these customers came in despite that. And over time I started to have meaningful interactions with them, for the first time in my life.

In fact, I had never in my life engaged in a meaningful dialogue with the people that I thought I hated, and it was these folks who showed me empathy when I least deserved it, and they were the ones that I least deserved it from. I started to recognize that I had more in common with them than the people I had surrounded myself for eight years with — that these people, that I thought I hated, took it upon themselves to see something inside of me that I didn't even see myself, and it was because of that connection that I was able to humanize them and that destroyed the demonization and the prejudice that was happening inside of me. Music brought me in, but in many ways it also brought me out.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Demonic activity is the cowards way out. Humans are intolerant doucheholes. If you can’t stand the sight of that mirror reflection then perhaps there’s good reason.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There's a difference between actions, child abuse in your example, and intolerance based on race, religion, national origin etc. The later is what to me the OP is asking about.

I don't believe in what Christians and others refer to as "demons". But I do see intolerance as retrogressive into the dark past and tolerance as part of what is forward looking and positive.

Ok, I suppose I don't see a need for tolerance in that regard since I don't care about inconsequential things like race, religion or origin, but hey sure, for folks having issues with that stuff let them approach their own bias cum grano salis.

Ellen Brown

I'm intolerant at times, and I know that some of it is wrong. The best I can do so far is to allow those I don't have easy feelings about to live in peace, and keep my mouth shut.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

Did you use the term 'Daemonic' in your thread title deliberately? i.e. rather than 'Demonic' (or 'demonic')?

Shantanu

It is the brainwashing of people from idealogies that generate evil, and it can be corrected through counselling.

Shantanu

Good luck on that.
There is a way in which satan-evil characteristics can be disposed off peacefully through appropriate counselling in which one delivers truths that are unpalatable to evil. Satan-evil does not like being exposed as such.

Ellen Brown

There is a way in which satan-evil characteristics can be disposed off peacefully through appropriate counselling in which one delivers truths that are unpalatable to evil. Satan-evil does not like being exposed as such.

It is best to trust no one.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
It is the spelling I am most comfortable with to describe the apparitions. I know it is considered archaic.

Well, where I'm coming from here is that the term also had a quite specific meaning in ancient Greek and later Hellenistic religion which didn't have the same kinds of necessarily negative connotations that the word 'Demon' has.

sooda

Veteran Member

No friend, these vile acts are not the work of demons or Satan.. they are the work of our fellow humans. Very sick and sad and cruel.. Impossible for most of us to comprehend, but human none the less.