• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Intellectual Honesty a Religious Virtue?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Your definition is just a restatement of mine, and I referenced that definition earlier in the thread. The definition references method (I said "the way in which beliefs are formed"), bias and attitude (I said "the way in which beliefs are held"). It is a non-sequitur to suggest that the criteria "personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth" means that faith is dishonest, because faith does not entail in any direct logical way an interference with the pursuit of truth. That also happens to be the least concrete of the four criteria listed in the definition, and the one most amenable to hearing in many different ways. I would suggest that the 3 other points in the wikipedia definition are an exposition of what it means for personal beliefs to interfere in the pursuit of truth. But faith does not entail omitting or misrepresenting facts or arguments, or ignoring work, or plagiarism, or any similar concrete thing.

It's not my definition, it's the definition. It isn't a non-sequitur, it is part of the definition. Personal beliefs do have nothing whatsoever to do with objective truth. It doesn't matter what you believe, it doesn't matter what you like, it matters what is actually so. Emotional attachment to a position has nothing whatsoever to do with the factual truth of the position. The worst conceivable truth is still true and the most wonderful falsehood is still a falsehood. Truth is truth no matter how it makes you feel. When you start talking about religious faith, we get to the definition which is: "strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof." That's a violation of the very principles of intellectual honesty.

Also, I am not redefining terms. I have been using "belief", "knowledge", and "justification" in just the way I believe you would use them, and I've been doing so quite intentionally. I have not tried to suggest for example that the subjective evidence of personal mystical experience could count towards justification. On the other hand, when it has been suggested that the Biblical definition of faith is "belief without evidence", that is in fact no where found in the Bible, and is very much a redefinition.

I didn't say you, I said "the religious". You only have to read some of the more fanatical theists in this very forum to see that this is true. They are absolutely saying that their experiences and their subjective and wholly unsupported conclusions which they wrap around their supposed experiences, are evidence that what they believe is factually true, yet they are unable to actually demonstrate how they got to these conclusions with any logic, reason or objective evidence. They simply assert it, based on totally blind faith. I think we'll both agree that the number of people who operate on pure faith, without a shred of evidence, vastly outnumbers the number of people who try, yet in my view completely fail, to be rational about the whole thing.

I didn't say that they did. The term "historical Jesus" means just the idea that an actual person existed, not that the Biblical characterization is accurate in any way. You've grossly misunderstood the claim I'm making here, and you might want to review the wiki on the historicity of Jesus, which states that "there is near unanimity among scholars that Jesus existed historically", which is not at all the same thing as saying that the description of Jesus in the Bible is accurate.

But if you don't have the supernatural Biblical Jesus, then the whole thing is pointless. There is no salvation, there is no redemption, it's all just a fairy tale. Jesus becomes no more than a teacher, no different than Buddha, he doesn't actually provide any religiously valid ideas, he's just a guy. The reason I bring it up is that there are a lot of Christians who will take the idea that there was a historical Jesus and turn that into a secular admission that the supernatural Biblical Jesus who did miracles and rose from the dead was real. It's nothing of the sort. I'm trying to avoid that misunderstanding by trying to head it off at the pass before it rears its ugly head. Even if there was a historical Jesus, that doesn't mean that any of the things recorded in the Gospels actually came from him, there's no way to verify any of that because we still have absolutely no contemporary eyewitness accounts that he exists. No secular historians have nothing to offer as evidence to support the claim that any historical Jesus ever existed. The best anyone can say is we just don't know.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
But if you don't have the supernatural Biblical Jesus, then the whole thing is pointless.

you missed the point of the argument I was making, which is not about Jesus, but about the potential to hold a belief that P in an honest way without knowing that P. Belief in an historical Jesus was only an example, and only intended in order to support that limited point. However, the point is tangential so it can probably be dropped.

I didn't say you, I said "the religious". You only have to read some of the more fanatical theists in this very forum to see that this is true.

I am not arguing that all religious people are intellectually honest, or that faith is never a factor in a lack of intellectual honesty. The original claim that I objected to was that faith was incompatible with intellectual honesty. The question is whether it is at all possible to have faith and be intellectually honest.

Let me try an analogy which I don't think is perfect, but is useful at least in this context. Imagine the claim was made that "political ideology is incompatible with intellectual honesty". If you're like me, you can easily imagine political ideologues who are very intellectually dishonest, and you can even see how, psychologically, a lot of the motivating factors in belonging to a political party or movement encourage intellectual dishonesty. On the other hand, presumably you would disagree that all people who belong to any ideological movement, regardless of specific ideas or beliefs, are intellectually dishonest. It is possible to have a political ideology and yet be honest. This certainly entails the possibility of disavowing specific claims of your ideology in the light of new evidence, but that's always true.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
you missed the point of the argument I was making, which is not about Jesus, but about the potential to hold a belief that P in an honest way without knowing that P. Belief in an historical Jesus was only an example, and only intended in order to support that limited point. However, the point is tangential so it can probably be dropped.

But why would you hold a belief in P without having any rational reason to think that P is true? I don't think it is possible to be intellectually honest believing in something for which you can show no evidence or logically valid reason for belief. I would have to see an actual example of what you're talking about here to see if I found it valid.

I am not arguing that all religious people are intellectually honest, or that faith is never a factor in a lack of intellectual honesty. The original claim that I objected to was that faith was incompatible with intellectual honesty. The question is whether it is at all possible to have faith and be intellectually honest.

Yet I don't think *ANY* religious people are intellectually honest because they are believing something for which they have no good reason to think is actually true. Faith is inherently incompatible with intellectual honesty because faith falls outside of the requirements for intellectual honesty. Again, you'd have to show a specific example of anyone who has faith in things for the reasons outlined in the definition I provided before.

Let me try an analogy which I don't think is perfect, but is useful at least in this context. Imagine the claim was made that "political ideology is incompatible with intellectual honesty". If you're like me, you can easily imagine political ideologues who are very intellectually dishonest, and you can even see how, psychologically, a lot of the motivating factors in belonging to a political party or movement encourage intellectual dishonesty. On the other hand, presumably you would disagree that all people who belong to any ideological movement, regardless of specific ideas or beliefs, are intellectually dishonest. It is possible to have a political ideology and yet be honest. This certainly entails the possibility of disavowing specific claims of your ideology in the light of new evidence, but that's always true.

But politics actually exists, we can demonstrate that various ideologies are real. Yes, I can see how many people involved in politics are dishonest, that doesn't mean that politics isn't an actual thing. Nobody can demonstrate that any part of religion is actually real, especially the supernatural parts, which is really what we're talking about when we speak about faith. We both agree that all people who are political ideologues are not dishonest, but even without talking about the people, the existence and validity of politics is not in dispute. The existence and validity of religion is very much in question. It is not based on evidence, it is not based on logic, reason or critical thinking. It is based on wishful thinking. We can keep going around and around and around on this, but until any theist can show that their supernatural beliefs actually have objective evidence to support them, you're not going to get me to agree with you.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The reason I bring it up is that there are a lot of Christians who will take the idea that there was a historical Jesus and turn that into a secular admission that the supernatural Biblical Jesus who did miracles and rose from the dead was real. It's nothing of the sort. Even if there was a historical Jesus, that doesn't mean that any of the things recorded in the Gospels actually came from him, there's no way to verify any of that because we still have absolutely no contemporary eyewitness accounts that he exists. No secular historians have nothing to offer as evidence to support the claim that any historical Jesus ever existed. The best anyone can say is we just don't know.
I'm not so sure that is a sound position. If I were to accept that premise then we don't have any contemporary eyewitness that George Washington exists therefore we can't accept those things that were written down of him. An obvious fallacy and hardly a position of rationality.

Certainly we have historical proof that he existed (even some secular sources). Then we have accounts of Jesus still appearing to people. One could say "it's their imagination", yet it radically changed their lives--so at the least it is some evidence of a possible supernatural encounter. Two people can look at that evidence and come to two completely different conclusions.

Now, if you choose not to accept the eyewitness accounts of those who wrote Epistles and what people call "The Gospels"--that is a different story. So, I would say "the worst anyone can say is that they just don't know" and the best is "Many people can say they do know".

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
If you go back to read the example involving the historicity of Jesus, you will see that it involves a belief in P which does not rise to knowledge, but which is supported by rational evidence. The evidence is simply somewhat ambiguous, as historical evidence often is. That's why I used it as an example. Not all religious beliefs are going to be similar, but the point was to push back against the line of argument you were taking, which seemed to be implying that holding any belief that P without knowing that P was dishonest. Which I think leads to immediately absurd consequences, such as Bart Ehrman being dishonest for believing in the historicity of Jesus.

With regard to politics actually existing, that doesn't get us anywhere because religious faith also exists. I can demonstrate that various religious faiths also exist. That is a different question than whether the specific beliefs of a particular religion or political ideology are true or rationally justified. The validity of various political viewpoints are also very much in dispute. Religion is entirely analogous in this regard. Its existence is not in dispute, the validity of religious content is. And again, not all political ideology appears to be based on logic, reason, and critical thinking.

until any theist can show that their supernatural beliefs actually have objective evidence to support them, you're not going to get me to agree with you.

Right, because you are conflating establishing the epistemic justification of a theistic belief with intellectual honesty, when they are not the same thing. I will concede immediately that it is likely impossible to persuade you that belief in a God is rationally justified, and that does not mean you are being irrational or dishonest. This is where, if the rational basis of belief were the topic, I would actually depart from the epistemological assumptions we've been making, about the nature of justification, and talk about faith as a faculty beyond (but not separate from) the mind and senses, about philosophical issues with assuming that only what can be objectively demonstrated can be real, or talk about the near universality of certain human experiences, expressed in differing ways. I don't expect any of it would be persuasive to you, and I accept that. But none of it should be necessary when the topic is intellectual honesty, because honesty is not the same thing.

The only argument presented so far for the incompatibility of faith with intellectual honesty is that, somehow, and this has not been specified in any concrete way, faith necessarily entails allowing personal beliefs to interfere with the pursuit of truth. My contention is that this is not so, as long as faith is not understood as the content of a specific belief, or adherence to a particular religion (which mistakes a specific "faith" in the context of a set of doctrines with faith itself) but either as trust in the Biblical sense, which is not a matter of intellectual assent to some proposition, or as a kind of open-ness and capacity for a certain type of experience, as per Gregory of Nyssa, Richard of St Victor, and others. Faith does not entail necessarily holding onto beliefs stubbornly in the face of evidence. Faith is not inherently irrational, although it may require an unprovable assumption that rationalism is not everything. I would even probably concede that this assumption would be irrational if there were no reason to hold it, but I hold it as a matter of experience that I find very difficult to deny.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
Much shorter well named: if holding beliefs with anything short of full rational justification is intellectual dishonesty, then basically everyone is intellectually dishonest, and that's not what anyone means by the term. They mean "a virtuous disposition to eschew deception when given an incentive for deception", to quote wikipedia again.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I'm not so sure that is a sound position. If I were to accept that premise then we don't have any contemporary eyewitness that George Washington exists therefore we can't accept those things that were written down of him. An obvious fallacy and hardly a position of rationality.

Except we have plenty of contemporary eyewitnesses to George Washington, we have tons of things that Washington himself wrote that survive to this day, we have paintings made of Washington done by direct eyewitnesses, etc. With Jesus, we have none of that.

Certainly we have historical proof that he existed (even some secular sources). Then we have accounts of Jesus still appearing to people. One could say "it's their imagination", yet it radically changed their lives--so at the least it is some evidence of a possible supernatural encounter. Two people can look at that evidence and come to two completely different conclusions.

If you're speaking of Jesus, then you'd have to provide that historical proof. You have stories, you have third and fourth hand claims, you have nothing to verify that any of those claims have validity. That is entirely unlike what we have for Washington.

Now, if you choose not to accept the eyewitness accounts of those who wrote Epistles and what people call "The Gospels"--that is a different story. So, I would say "the worst anyone can say is that they just don't know" and the best is "Many people can say they do know".

No credible historian thinks those accounts were made by eyewitnesses. You're talking faith, I'm talking historical justification. We simply do not have any reason to think that Jesus actually existed, at least not the Jesus in the Bible. Nobody can say they know because nobody has any actual evidence. Claims of knowledge require some kind of rational and demonstrable basis. You have none.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

Just wanted to point out that the body of reliable historical evidence for George Washington is immense - conversely we have no eye witness accounts of Jesus, no contemporary references and a case for historicity largely drawn from textual analysis. To compare the evidence for the historicity of Jesus with that of Washington is simply erroneous.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Just wanted to point out that the body of reliable historical evidence for George Washington is immense - conversely we have no eye witness accounts of Jesus, no contemporary references and a case for historicity largely drawn from textual analysis. To compare the evidence for the historicity of Jesus with that of Washington is simply erroneous.

It's not even drawn from textual analysis, it's drawn from blind faith. There aren't any remotely valid texts from which to draw an analysis, just wishful thinking from the religious.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Do any of the world's religions explicitly uphold intellectual honesty as a virtue? If so, please quote where they do that, or explain how and in what manner they do that. Also, why they do that? That is, what value or values do they see in intellectual honesty.
Perhaps a religious virtue but certainly a Biblical virtue. Strangely the Bible has little to say about exactly what virtue is. This from Phil. 4:8 is the only thing I've found that defines virtue: "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." KJV

Honesty is very important as Proverbs 6:16-17a says, "
These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue..." KJV

Now as for speaking what you believe to be the truth through ignorance this from Hosea 4:6 may apply, " My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children." KJV

This from St. Augustine is one of my favorites on this topic, "Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he holds to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion."

(All bold highlights are mine)

Kenny

Premium Member
Except we have plenty of contemporary eyewitnesses to George Washington, we have tons of things that Washington himself wrote that survive to this day, we have paintings made of Washington done by direct eyewitnesses, etc. With Jesus, we have none of that.
If these are your points for definition, then we have plenty of contemporary eyewitnesses to Jesus Christ.

If you're speaking of Jesus, then you'd have to provide that historical proof. You have stories, you have third and fourth hand claims, you have nothing to verify that any of those claims have validity. That is entirely unlike what we have for Washington.
It is obvious that you are slanted towards an anti-Jesus position.

Did Jesus Christ Really Exist? Proving Jesus Without the Bible | Beginning And End

Archaeology continues to discover more evidence. The most recent one is a fragment of Mark that they believe will become the oldest fragment found dating it in the first half of the 1st century. It is still under investigation and the information will not be released until the efforts are completed.

I wouldn't call the Epistles of John and Peter--third and fourth hand claims... they were eye witnesses.

No credible historian thinks those accounts were made by eyewitnesses. You're talking faith, I'm talking historical justification. We simply do not have any reason to think that Jesus actually existed, at least not the Jesus in the Bible. Nobody can say they know because nobody has any actual evidence. Claims of knowledge require some kind of rational and demonstrable basis. You have none
Please don't use playbook tactics. To say that any historian who disagrees with your position is not a credible historian is a dishonest statement. If you have a personal opinion, state it. This is an example of intellectual dishonesty

There are many credible historians who disagree with your position and many an intelligent person who came to the conclusion that the accounts written are true.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
It's not even drawn from textual analysis, it's drawn from blind faith. There aren't any remotely valid texts from which to draw an analysis, just wishful thinking from the religious.
We all have personal opinions and I respect your right to have one.

SkepticX

Intellectual honesty doesn't seem to be an important Western religious virtue. The most fundamental problem with the idea is that faith is elevated as the highest virtue, and biblical faith (Hebrews 11) is just presumption dressed up as such. But by and large in my experience and in the popular rhetoric believers are dramatically changing how the word is used--not only turning away from biblical faith, but also trying to distance themselves from it ... at least until it's really necessary in order to maintain their religious beliefs. The intellectual honesty of Western Christianity (the limit of my personal significant experience) is more about the sense of it, not its actual application, because honesty to a point isn't really honesty, IMO. It's being truthful until it's inconvenient, or protecting a sacred cow. It's antithetical to intellectual honesty. To take honesty seriously one has to accept one's own biases (once identified) and treat them as critical thinking and science would have them treated. If there's a question as to whether one's worldview is dependent upon problematic bias the strict measure would be the standards of peer reviewed science. But as long as that which doesn't cut it is accepted as uncertain I don't think there's any problem. The catch is that very few are that comfortable with uncertainty, which is a big part of the faith schtick to begin with.

Bob Altemeyer did some limited research on religious conversions, mostly using his college students as subjects. He wrote it up in popular form in a book called Amazing Conversions: Why Some Turn to Faith & Others Abandon Religion. The aspect of apostasy that stood out most to me is that it was frequently distilled down to taking this religious intellectual honesty ethic seriously rather than as lip service--cutting out the to a point nonsense. So to an extent those apostates (myself included) learned this ethic in their religious training/upbringing, but saw the problem with cutting it short in order to protect a sacred cow and, having been truly sold on the ethic, refused to lame it.

NulliuSINverba

Do any of the world's religions explicitly uphold intellectual honesty as a virtue? If so, please quote where they do that, or explain how and in what manner they do that. Also, why they do that? That is, what value or values do they see in intellectual honesty.

I don't know if any of the world's religions explicitly uphold intellectual honesty, but there are undoubtedly instances when the exact opposite is the case:

"We believe that the 66 books of the Bible are the written Word of God. The Bible is divinely inspired and inerrant throughout, in that holy men of God were moved by the Holy Spirit to write the very words of Scripture. It is without error (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21). The final guide to the interpretation of Scripture is Scripture itself, and that Scripture is our final authority. No apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and science, can be valid if it contradicts Scripture." ~ Statement of Faith from Creation Today.

Wow. Let that last bit sink in. If any evidence contradicts the scripture, the evidence is invalid? That's a rather incredible claim.

Never mind scriptural contradictions:

"Immediately after the distress of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken. Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other. Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened." ~ Matthew 24:29-34

Despite all the intervening centuries, I guess that means that the generation that Jesus was addressing hasn't passed away yet?

Christian vampire movies, anyone?

SkepticX

Here's my favorite example of what your blue quote shows:

"Should a conflict arise between the witness of the Holy Spirit to the fundamental truth of the Christian faith and beliefs based on argument and evidence, then it is the former which must take precedence over the latter, not vice versa." -- William Lane Craig (Reasonable Faith: Christian Truth and Apologetics)

I do love the idea of simply inventing your own word meanings in debate, but it leaves me no useful response. I could say; "Well yes! That is true if you define 'banana' in the traditional sense! But I define 'banana' as the sound a mouse makes when it farts - then you are clearly wrong!" It is essentially a pretty pointless approach.

I didn't invent my own word meanings. This is what my experience of religion has been—that it is a body of teachings that a group of people share and that those beliefs differ from group to group. It is not monolithic (although, I understand that it's easier to deal with it and dismiss it if you believe that it is). Religion means different things to different groups of people, but the concept of religion as being only the irrational and superficial dogmas and superstitions of an aggregate group called "the religious" is a relatively new "definition."

By pointing out that what I mean when I say "religion" and what you mean may be two different things, I merely suggest, if we are going to converse, we need to agree on a terminology or we're just talking past each other.

I described what those words mean to me and to many people of faith. Because our faith is the subject of discussion, might it not stand to reason that the religious person in the discussion gets to have input into what he or she, in fact, believes? I often encounter anti-theists who insist on imposing definitions onto religious people (as if faith meant the same thing to everyone) rather than taking religious people and their beliefs as they really are. Many dogmatically insist that their definitions (religion=superstition or intolerance or dogma or ritual and faith = blind acceptance of whatever without use of the rational faculty) are the ones we all use.

Short form: You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means—or at least, it means more than you think it means.

I'd argue that it would be more accurate to speak of religious dogmatism if that is what we're addressing and use the broader term religion to mean something closer to the dictionary definitions: 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: (i.e.)the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion. 3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:

The word religion is from a latin root that means simply, "to bind together". Can we, for the sake of discussion define religion as a fundamental set of beliefs that binds together a group of people in common purpose?

If that is unacceptable to you, I'm willing to adapt and use whatever definitions of religion and faith you wish. But then we need to come up with terms for belief systems that are not that. So, for example, if your definition includes the idea that science is the enemy of religion, then by that criteria, my belief system is not, in fact, a religion. If it includes the idea that life here is pointless and we're just waiting for pie in the sky by and by, then again, not a religion—and by extension, the teachings of Christ, Buddha, Krishna, et al are not religion either.

Of course it excludes intellectual analysis, gods are mythological. There is no evidence for the esistence of gods. Moreover the entire concept is fanciful.

No, it doesn't exclude intellectual analysis at all. You believe it does for some reason, but that doesn't make it fact, and that is not the experience of many religious people. In other words, Bunyip, you're conjecturing about something with which you have limited experience. I live here in the intersection between faith and reason. It is my life's experience. Just because some religious people don't think deeply about the beliefs that have been handed down to them, or who have not bothered to test their faith with reason, or discover God for themselves, don't assume they are representative of all or even most religious people or that all religious experience is the same.

There is plenty of evidence for the existence of God, just as there is evidence for the existence of neutrinos or evidence that evolution is the mechanism by which we came to be here now and in this form. The very fact of our having this discussion of abstracts, the fact of the means we are using to convey these purely intellectual concepts is, in itself, an evidence of the existence of God. Another evidence is that endless sequence of Prophets that have been appearing since time immemorial, teaching the same fundamental principles and who insist that they've been sent by a surpassing Intellect to teach us what it means to be human.

I was referring to faith as defined in the bible.

I'd point out that the Bible is only one set of scriptures among many in the world's religious landscape, but fine, let's look at the Biblical definition. Here's one:

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For, by it, the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.” —Hebrews 11:1-3

The idea of faith requiring evidence and testimony (experience, authority) is part and parcel of the author's definition of faith. Consider this definition as you read an account of how the existence of neutrinos was discovered. The subatomic particle "hoped for" by Clyde Cowan who theorized its existence yielded fruit in experimentation and the rational exercise of inference by which we know (or have it on good authority) that the behavior of particles which are seen is influenced by something not seen. The idea that things we see are made up of things we can't see is a foundational scientific concept. And given that this verse in Hebrews is over 2000 years old, I have to applaud the author for finding words in his Hebrew or Greek vocabulary to describe such a principle.

"If religious belief and doctrine is at variance with reason, it proceeds from the limited mind of man and not from God; therefore, it is unworthy of belief and not deserving of attention; the heart finds no rest in it, and real faith is impossible. How can man believe that which he knows to be opposed to reason? ... Reason is the first faculty of man, and the religion of God is in harmony with it.” — Abdu’l-Bahá, Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 231

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
If these are your points for definition, then we have plenty of contemporary eyewitnesses to Jesus Christ.

Then where are they? I didn't mean contemporary today, I meant at the time of George Washington. Where are the writings of people who lived at the time of Jesus, who claimed to have actually seen him? I'd tell you to take your time, but it would be a waste of time because those accounts do not exist.

Archaeology continues to discover more evidence. The most recent one is a fragment of Mark that they believe will become the oldest fragment found dating it in the first half of the 1st century. It is still under investigation and the information will not be released until the efforts are completed.

Which proves nothing because the Gospels weren't written by eyewitnesses! It doesn't matter how many copies of the Gospels you find, they tell you nothing of value. In another 2000 years, no matter how many copies of the Harry Potter books they find, that doesn't do a thing to demonstrate that Harry Potter was actually real.

I wouldn't call the Epistles of John and Peter--third and fourth hand claims... they were eye witnesses.

No one credible considers them eye-witnesses at all, sorry.

Please don't use playbook tactics. To say that any historian who disagrees with your position is not a credible historian is a dishonest statement. If you have a personal opinion, state it. This is an example of intellectual dishonesty

There are many credible historians who disagree with your position and many an intelligent person who came to the conclusion that the accounts written are true.

I'm not, I'm pointing out that historians who take positions based on faith are not credible, only those who have actual objective evidence to support their positions. The only people who take the position that the unnamed Gospel-writers were eyewitnesses are all religious and their only evidence is faith. That is not impressive.

Kenny

Premium Member
Then where are they? I didn't mean contemporary today, I meant at the time of George Washington. Where are the writings of people who lived at the time of Jesus, who claimed to have actually seen him? I'd tell you to take your time, but it would be a waste of time because those accounts do not exist.
Your simply saying that doesn't translate that it doesn't and certainly you haven't supported your statements.

I understand that for you it is a waste of time because of your belief system. I am fine with you having your belief system

Which proves nothing because the Gospels weren't written by eyewitnesses! It doesn't matter how many copies of the Gospels you find, they tell you nothing of value. In another 2000 years, no matter how many copies of the Harry Potter books they find, that doesn't do a thing to demonstrate that Harry Potter was actually real.
When is reality real?

I'm not, I'm pointing out that historians who take positions based on faith are not credible, only those who have actual objective evidence to support their positions. The only people who take the position that the unnamed Gospel-writers were eyewitnesses are all religious and their only evidence is faith. That is not impressive.
EXACTLY! And at this time, your statements are based on faith. You haven't given one "actual objective evidence" to support your position.

Certainly not intellectually honest.

Why don't we just stay on the subject of the thread and not start a strawman.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Your simply saying that doesn't translate that it doesn't and certainly you haven't supported your statements.

Then you should be able to produce those accounts and we can evaluate them rationally. Just pretending that they exist without producing them and testing them is meaningless.

I understand that for you it is a waste of time because of your belief system. I am fine with you having your belief system

It has nothing to do with my belief system. I believe things because they have been demonstrated to be factually true and not until they actually are. It's called being rational.

When is reality real?

100% of the time, that's the definition of the word.

EXACTLY! And at this time, your statements are based on faith. You haven't given one "actual objective evidence" to support your position.

Please quote where I've even given a position to provide evidence for.