• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is humanity good or evil?

On a scale of 1-9, with 1 being pure good and 9 being pure evil, rate humanity.

• 1 - Pure Good

Votes: 3 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 7 46.7%

Votes: 2 13.3%

• 9 - Pure Evil

• Total voters

How do you think humanity as a whole rates in terms of how good or evil it is?

Do you think humanity will be more good than it is now in 50 years, get worse, or stay about the same?

What rating would you have given if the question was the same, but the time period was for the year 1900?

Overall, does religion make humanity more good or more evil, or does it not influence this much at all?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
None of the above. Good and evil are in the nature of polarity. The ol good guy and the bad guy. Opposite sides of the same coin. its like saying, which is the better view, up? or down? Those poor Australians are looking down on me, and I'm looking down on them too here from Canada.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Humanity is ignorant, as are all beings. Evil things tend to be things caused by ignorance, but to call humans evil would be misleading.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't believe humans are either good or evil. People do good things and bad things, but no one does all bad things or all good things. And if that statement isn't enough to make you crazy...:D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I believe that each individual is inherently good, so that's how I voted. BUT it has to be realised in the life lived. And thereby hangs the complexity. And so the potential for evil.

Levite

Higher and Higher
How do you think humanity as a whole rates in terms of how good or evil it is?

Do you think humanity will be more good than it is now in 50 years, get worse, or stay about the same?

What rating would you have given if the question was the same, but the time period was for the year 1900?

Overall, does religion make humanity more good or more evil, or does it not influence this much at all?

Aside from the fact that "good" and "evil" are deeply debatable and often subjective terms, I don't believe that humanity is any one thing en masse. "Humanity" is merely the mass of individuals. And I believe no human being is intrinsically good or evil: everyone is born a moral tabula rasa, with free will, and what character we end up with is dependent upon our choices and actions.

and what character we end up with is dependent upon our choices and actions.

As well as genetics, what kind of parents we have and how they raise us, what kind of schools we go to, who our friends are, whether we grow up in poverty or wealth, and all kinds of other environmental factors. I think who we are is dependant on all those things.