• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Hell Really Fair?

MJFlores

upload_2019-9-28_0-2-20.jpeg

Two things that each one of us are expected to do.
How do you fear God and keep his commandments?
Is it fair to reward someone who could not comply with this duty?

DO YOU THINK THAT SPENDING AN ETERNITY SUFFERING IN HELL FOR A MISTAKE MADE ON EARTH IS FAIR?

giphy.gif

A man won't go to hell for a mistake he made on earth.
It does not work that way.

Further, the fiery hell does not exists yet.
When a person dies - his breath of life goes back to God who gave it [Ecclesiastes 12:7]
his body returns to dust [Ecclesiastes 12:7]
his soul clings to the ground [ Psalms 119:25]
Now when Judgement Day comes - the dead will be judged for all the things they have done
The Books will be opened - the Book of Works and the Book of Life
If you don't find your name on the Book of Life [Revelation 20:15]
Then off you go to the fiery hell, specially made for you - the second death [Revelation 21:8]

Going to hell on Judgement Day is so easy.
Do nothing - not even a mistake
Be nothing, do not even lift a finger, be apathetic
Because all people have the wrath of God in them [John 3:36]
There are two choices - eternal life or eternal punishment [Matthew 25:46]
Why not choose the former? Seek it out as though you are going to die tomorrow.
Hasn't this temporary life told us what is reward and punishment?
This one is when the day of Judgement comes

Bob the Unbeliever

I'll let C. S. Lewis, a Christian who wrote things I can agree with, reply:

There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. Those who knock it is opened.”

(and)

“Hell is a state of mind - ye never said a truer word. And every state of mind, left to itself, every shutting up of the creature within the dungeon of its own mind - is, in the end, Hell.

― C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce

Lewis? Was a hack-- seriously. He was a sad, sad little man, desperately attempting to "explain" the pure evil that is having an innocent be brutally murdered in order to appease the horrific appetite for death, of the Ultimate Creator.

But nevermind that-- "thy will be done"? Those are the words of Slaves, to their Owners.

Immoral, in other words.

The entire christian premise of "appease the bully or he will torture you forever" is immoral.

Period.

Irony: God gives humans Free Will, but punishes them for Using it.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Aside from the claim that god knows what's best for us so we shouldn't question his decisions,

DO YOU THINK THAT SPENDING AN ETERNITY SUFFERING IN HELL FOR A MISTAKE MADE ON EARTH IS FAIR?

View attachment 33214

God does:

Matthew 25:46
"And these will go away into eternal punishment"
I don't

And your opinion?

I believe that God has made it easy to avoid Hell so it is fair.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I think that once anyone enters into eternal separation from God they will have no question about whether it is fair. They will know it is and that they have only themselves to blame for rejecting the full forgiveness of sins and eternal life which was offered to all as a free gift.

A free gift, or an offer that you cannot refute? Not the same thing.

Ciao

- viole

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think retributive justice over restorative justice is already unfair. So an arbitrary and authoritarian version where words like 'eternity' get thrown around is so off base that it's no surprise 'classic'* concepts of hell is falling out of favor.

*Hell as we know it is a medieval concept, not what early Christians and Jews believed.

I believe Hell is neither retributive justice nor restorative justice. It is simply the result of making the wrong decision.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, it means the grave.

I believe sometimes it is taranslated that way incorrectly. It is actually the lake of fire. In Norse mythology Hel was the entrance to the lake and Hel the mistress/master of the place and the burial place of the wicked.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Sure, sure-- be a Slave to a Celestial North Korean Dictator...

In short? Do not use your brains; don't do it! The lesson of Garden of Eden?

Knowledge Is Evil-- remain ignorant, or go to hell.

I believe I have a brain and know evil but I choose God who is good. I will not miss evil at all.

Bob the Unbeliever

I believe I have a brain and know evil but I choose God who is good. I will not miss evil at all.

But. You think that "not my will but god's" is a valid statement.

That pretty much belies your claim, above.

Worse: The Lesson of the Garden? Knowing is a SIN.

Better to NOT KNOW.

That is horrible!

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hell is not forever, the punishment will fit the crimes/sins. There is also no fire in Hell, the fire is going to be on earth. It is not physical torture, it is mental terror. All sin is conceived of in the mind before being acted upon. Eventually your spirit will be extinguished and you will cease to exist. Hell is a Black Hole. It is darkness, freezing cold, hyper-gravity and a bottomless pit. Astronomers have recently found and photographed Hell.

I believe that is correct. Hell is eternal which means in this case timeless.

I don't believe that enters into it.

I believe that is incorrect. Hell will be fire only and is not the same as the fire coming on earth.

I believe there is no body or mind so any terror is dependent on the spirit.

I believe I have never seen a verse that says this despite those who misinterpret some verses.

I believe that is not the case. Black holes exist in the heavens and Hell is inside the earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
But. You think that "not my will but god's" is a valid statement.

That pretty much belies your claim, above.

Worse: The Lesson of the Garden? Knowing is a SIN.

Better to NOT KNOW.

That is horrible!

I believe it is when it comes to questions of good or evil but I still have a will for doing things that are good.

I believe you have not learned the lesson of the Garden of Eden. Disobeying God is a sin. Knowing evil is death.

I believe that is true so that is why I opt for not knowing evil.

JJ50

Some people seem to get a kick out the scenario of people burning in their creation of hell for ever. I think those that do have mental health problems!:eek:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes it is. Fortunately, like @ADigitalArtist stated, that’s not what Hell really means.

I believe there are two meanings to eternal: everlasting and without time. It is the latter that pertains to Hell. With no time there is no way to discern an end. However as Jesus says "I am the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end."

Muffled

Jesus in me
Some people seem to get a kick out the scenario of people burning in their creation of hell for ever. I think those that do have mental health problems!:eek:

I believe you have the mental health problem since you are denying reality.

I believe it is not theirs but is a creation by God.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't believe in hell. Not the way religion depicts it, anyway.
It's a boogeyman tatic used to keep the children obedient and compliant and in one place.

"Don't leave or do this or do that or else the monster will get you".