• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is god...

InChrist

Free4ever
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the Antichrist....what a handy Cameleon!

I am old enough to vividly recall the candidates that have been run with "The Bible clearly warns" just in the last fourty years...

First it was The Pope/Rome and every Evangelical new the dangers of Antichrist Popery!

Then it was the Godless Commie Pinkos Soviet/China/Cuba- Antichrists all!
(I even heard Evangelical Christians advocating oposition to the Peace Movement because it might deter the inevitable Nuclear Conflict that would bring about the End Times and the final conflict with the Antichrist)

Then it was Michael Jackson...
1,860,000 results "Is Michael Jackson the antichrist"

Then I gave up listening to such fruitloop theology:facepalm:

There may be many who have gone off on their own tangents concerning the antichrist, last days, etc. Nevertheless, the warnings are included in the scriptures by God the Creator for a purpose and for our protection. I think it is foolish to ignore or mock God’s warnings.

InChrist

Free4ever
What you overlook is that the First Coming didn't fulfill the exact prophecies of the Jewish scriptures, either! For example, the name was not Emmanuel, nor was the One who appeared any sort of king.

So the fact that the Second Coming isn't a literal fulfillment either isn't surprising:
These prophecies have spiritual significance, not literal!

Simply false!

The Bible also states:
First John 4:2 "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God."

Which Baha'u'llah, Founder of the Baha'i Faith, clearly does state!

Thus, not everyone who appears is false.

Q. E. D..

Bruce

The prophecies related to the first coming of Christ and His birth as a human baby were fulfilled to the detail. You are correct; the prophecies concerning His second coming as a King were not fulfilled the first time, but will be in the future. When it comes to the prophecies I accept and believe they were intended to be taken literally, otherwise they are meaningless.

The name Emmanuel is translated, ”God with us”. It is one of the names or references to Jesus Christ which shows that He was God who came to earth to live in human flesh. If Baha'u'llah, Founder of the Baha'i Faith, denies this truth about Jesus Christ then he had the spirit of the antichrist according to the Bible and the verse (John 4:20) which you cited.

Orias

Left Hand Path
The Bible clearly warns that these teachings are of the antichrist and many will believe them and accept the new world order under that leadership of a false Christ claiming to be an enlightened human who will bring peace to the earth. But instead of peace he brings ruthlessness and destruction.

Sounds like a good story, I wonder how much of this story is actually taken into a retrospective reflection.

Seems there more finger pointers than there is people to blame :shrug:

And to think, it all leads back to One suspicious fellow.

BruceDLimber

The name Emmanuel is translated, ”God with us”. It is one of the names or references to Jesus Christ which shows that He was God....

ONCE AGAIN, and which response you just IGNORED above, Jesus repeatedly stressed that He was NOT God, little as you care to admit this fact!

Bruce

earlwooters

Jesus called himself the son of man more than 70 times in the NT. How many times did he call himself the son of God, or God? Do you think that Jesus was so ignorant that he didn't even know who he was? He called himself the son of man. Thats what he was.

AmbiguousGuy

how can anyone know what god is?

It's easy to know stuff. I've gotten so good at it that I don't even have to click my heels together or shout Abracadabra! or anything.

'Know' is one of the most dangerous words in any human language, I think. It's a deceiver. People are seduced into believing that when they know something, it means that their internal mental concept is exactly equal to the external known thing.

Pretty silly. I call it magical thinking. We're fallible humans. We can't know anything in that way. (Not unless we are God or God's actual prophet, I mean.)

Let's say you are standing around, knowing that you have 3 dimes in your pocket. But when you reach in and pull out your hand, there are only 2 dimes in it. So did you know that you had 3 dimes? Of course you did. To 'know' a thing is simply to hold great psychological certainty about the external known thing. And you had that certainty about your dime count.

So anyway, I think people can know anything they like about God. But it certainly doesn't mean that their knowledge is somehow magically equal to 'God'.

I mean, if anyone could do a thing like that, clearly it would be my own humble self. There is no prophet greater than AmbiguousGuy.

And I know that for an actual fact.

InChrist

Free4ever
ONCE AGAIN, and which response you just IGNORED above, Jesus repeatedly stressed that He was NOT God, little as you care to admit this fact!

Bruce

I don’t recall reading anything in the scriptures where Jesus repeatedly stressed He wasn’t God. He actually said things and made claims which would have been inappropriate and arrogant, if not blasphemous if He was not truly God. He is called in scripture the Son of God and the Son of Man demonstrating His deity and His humanity. He is a unique one of a kind Being: fully God/ fully human, making Him the only ONE capable and in the position to be Mediator and Savior.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's easy to know stuff. I've gotten so good at it that I don't even have to click my heels together or shout Abracadabra! or anything.

'Know' is one of the most dangerous words in any human language, I think. It's a deceiver. People are seduced into believing that when they know something, it means that their internal mental concept is exactly equal to the external known thing.

Pretty silly. I call it magical thinking. We're fallible humans. We can't know anything in that way. (Not unless we are God or God's actual prophet, I mean.)

Let's say you are standing around, knowing that you have 3 dimes in your pocket. But when you reach in and pull out your hand, there are only 2 dimes in it. So did you know that you had 3 dimes? Of course you did. To 'know' a thing is simply to hold great psychological certainty about the external known thing. And you had that certainty about your dime count.

So anyway, I think people can know anything they like about God. But it certainly doesn't mean that their knowledge is somehow magically equal to 'God'.

I mean, if anyone could do a thing like that, clearly it would be my own humble self. There is no prophet greater than AmbiguousGuy.

No you don't.

As surely as one man says to you.....'this is this, and that is that'....

someone else will come along and say...'no it ain't'.....

ellenjanuary

Jeez... what's the first rule? Thou shalt have no god before me. Therefore you are god. People stop preaching the right of the self, listen to the righteousness of another... why, they'd be more learning, less yappin, no? ;)

AmbiguousGuy

No you don't [know that for a fact]. As surely as one man says to you.....'this is this, and that is that'.... someone else will come along and say...'no it ain't'.....

It was my idea of a joke, Thief. Nevermind.

But I'm pretty sure that no one ever has or ever will know more about God than I do -- so long as He remains incorporeal, I mean.

BruceDLimber

How exactly can you prove that...out of curiosity?

Exactly how many quotes do you need?:

Matthew 19:17 And He said unto him, Why callest thou Me good? There is none good but God....

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good save One, that is, God.

Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good save One, that is, God.

Q. E. D.

Bruce

waitasec

Veteran Member

:yes:

InChrist

Free4ever
Exactly how many quotes do you need?:

Matthew 19:17 And He said unto him, Why callest thou Me good? There is none good but God....

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good save One, that is, God.

Luke 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good save One, that is, God.

Q. E. D.

Bruce

[FONT=&quot]The three verses you posted say the same thing. A young man came to Jesus and addressed Him as, “Good teacher”. Jesus said, “Why do you call Me good? There is none good but GodJesus’ question was rhetorical. He wanted the man to think about what he was saying and who he was speaking to. Jesus knew that God alone is good, yet He did not get angry or correct the man for calling Him good. The scriptures are consistent that the life of Christ was sinless, perfect, and good. These are qualities that the scriptures also attribute to God alone. Therefore, Jesus is GOD...and He knew it and accepted being called good. [/FONT]

-------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&quot]"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish things that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of thing Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would rather be a lunatic -- on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God...But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
[/FONT]

ellenjanuary

Then I have to disagree, for the AmbigiousGuy that responds to me, would be greater than the one not seen. ;)

drilyasharun

God is the creation of Man in order to dominate human beings. Man in this sense is an elite group, supported by diehard followers. Since the beginning of human history, there were many gods and holy books. There were the Sumerian god, Egyptian god, Chinese god, Hindu god, Greek god, Roman god, Jewish god, Christian god, Islam god, Baha'i god, Sikh god, etc.

BruceDLimber

[FONT=&quot]These are qualities that the scriptures also attribute to God alone. Therefore, Jesus is GOD.[/FONT]

Wrong PRECISELY because it's an unwarranted extrapolation!

You simply can't have it both ways:

The attributes are of God ALONE, as you yourself said! Therefore they apply ONLY to God and hence, not to Jesus!

"God alone" means "God alone"--NOT "God and Jesus!"

Perhaps you need to review the meaning of "alone."

Q. E. D.

Bruce