• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God sending us a message?

sparc872

Let me preface this one by saying that I do believe in a higher power. In my opinion, *what* figure you believe in is relatively unimportant.

With that being said, it seems to be that this higher power might be talking to us. Why do I think that? One reason seems to be the recent irregular patterns of what we like to call "mother nature".

--There was just another earthquake in Indonesia and the body count keeps rising.
--Hurricane activity and frequency
--Quite a few temperature records have been broken at both extremes (hot & cold)
--Earthquakes leading to Tsunamis
--Recent snow amounts and blizzards

I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't take these extreme natural disasters and weather fluctuations for granted; I believe everything happens for a reason even though we may not know WHY or for what purpose. It's my theory (and that's all it is, not fact) that our divine being may be speaking to us through the earth's core functioning.

Think about it.

Many of us roam the earth in these violent temperaments, subjugating each other to unnecessary violence, rape, murder, white collar crime, neglect, abuse, and anything else that does harm to our brethren. Not to mention how we disrespect the planet by engaging in everything from littering to ozone destruction whether conscious or subconscious.

Yet we don't hesitate to seek refuge and help when we are about to witness nature's fury, and understandably so.

My point is that sometimes human arrogance disallows us to realize that there are forces much more powerful than we, and those forces could easily negate our sometimes selfish quibbling and inconsiderate decisions within moments notice. At the hands of nature, thousands can be wiped out in a flash. Could our higher power be trying to tell us something?

I'd like to know what y'all think.

Peace

In Response to above:

I agree that we are witnessing some extreme weather/earth conditions on a seemingly more frequent and more intense basis... and yes, I believe that we are being "told" to MOVE away from these extreme conditions... but maybe it is Mother Earth's natural immune system cleansing out her most detrimental parasite or virus, humans. I know it's difficult to consider ourselves as a parasite, eating away at our host cell everyday, on a constant quest to continue our own survival in this unsympathetic universe, but it's a striking similarity that has kept me humble for many years already. I think it all boils down to chance and survival of the fittest... we are in a race against nature and time, inevitably yielding the final decision to the stronger forces in the universe... we are all vulnerable... sitting ducks... no matter if we litter or use aerosal sprays or drive suv's... at the end of the day, Nature will take us out if that's what needs to happen for the planet to survive. We can only do so much to prevent that meteorite from striking the middle of North America (or wherever it lands) and we should not take our time here on planet Earth for granted. Everything DOES happen for a reason, but that reason might not be the final answer to all questions... rather it might be so that the next thing in Earth's long history can take place... the dinosaurs met their fate so that mammals could evolve... mammals will surely meet the same fate eventually... I think the planet will survive longer than humanity, and our skeletins will be examined by other beings in the future as we have done with dinosaurs. I know it's uncomfortable to think about, but I see everything happening in cycles, and we are just a small part of one of our planet's cycles. If the planet is telling us anything, it's probably saying that we should enjoy and appreciate our time here as much as possible... because we may be the next target in Mother Nature's fight to survive. Lots of these same concepts are expressed in my blog "Fractal Examples" here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...=7E8BB195-FBBA-4E3E-868775FE49CB5854815500578
Fractals are mathmatical patterns found in Nature and many other aspects of our lives... understanding fractal concepts helps put everything into perspective... I will be writing more about them soon. They are equivalent to a higher power because they seem to decode a lot about nature's unpredictability, giving a sort of language or order to everything through math and patterns.

So, after reading these two posts from another site, what do you think is the ultimate cause of all the calamities occuring on earth? I am sure you probably know what my beliefs are on the subject but I am always interested in hearing differing opinions.

And in case you want to know, I found this at a blog on http://www.myspace.com/asylum7

Asylum 7 is a hip hop artist out of Detroit that I just found out about. I really appreciate his lyrical message and figured I would help promote him a little :)

Jerrell

First off, The this quote is irrelivant to your own question. You ask if God is sending us a message, yet the quote says, "*what* figure you believe in is relatively unimportant." I am sorry, i cannot answwer your Question unless you specify which "god" you are speaking of, because each "god" is a diffrent "god".

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
sparc872 said:
In Response to above:
So, after reading these two posts from another site, what do you think is the ultimate cause of all the calamities occuring on earth?

I don't what others say,I believe the accuracies of the prophecies of the bible coming to pass and rest in the fact that Jesus has got his hand on the door ready to return,are ya ready he says? Luke seems to capture this well.

The Signs of the Times and the End of the Age
Luke 21
1) So they asked Him, saying, "Teacher, but when will these things be? And what sign will there be when these things are about to take place?"
And He said: "Take heed that you not be deceived. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and, 'The time has drawn near.' *Therefore do not go after them. But when you hear of wars and commotions, do not be terrified; for these things must come to pass first, but the end will not come immediately."
Then He said to them, "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be great earthquakes in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven. But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name's sake. 13 But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony. 14 Therefore settle it in your hearts not to meditate beforehand on what you will answer; 15 for I will give you a mouth and wisdom which all your adversaries will not be able to contradict or resist. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents and brothers, relatives and friends; and they will put some of you to death. 17 And you will be hated by all for My name's sake. 18 But not a hair of your head shall be lost. 19 By your patience possess your souls.
20 "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. 22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 23 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! For there will be great distress in the land and wrath upon this people. 24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
The Coming of the Son of Man
25 "And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; 26 men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
29 Then He spoke to them a parable: "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. 30 When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near. 31 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
34 "But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may *be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man."

kai

ragamuffin
as to the first is god sending us a message no!
as to the weather conditions, to the earth its perfectly normal weather cycles change all the time, the sahara was once a sea and some parts of the sea were once land, all perfectly normal over time

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Yes...God's sending us a message. It says; 'The climate control is busted, the plumbing is shot and the house needs restumping. Can someone please send the relevent tradesmen?'

Ulver

The "Good" morality of God working through nature I think is a load of cr*p. I could be perhaps convinced that acts of nature occur in accordance to the will of God, but if that is the case then God is not an absolutely Good being. For if nature is a reflection of his will and nature is neither Good nor Evil, then God is neither Good nor Evil. It just is itself.

As to the rather nihilistic view mentioned. Yes, that's certainly possible. It's a possibility though. Mankind being doomed is a possibility, not a certainty.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Is this the start of a movement to include the theory of Intelligent Destruction in weather classes? Those secular meteorologists are always trying to leave God out of the weather. :eek:

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I dunno if it's "God" ... but natural disasters, world disease, and humans generally screwing themseleves over has existed since existance :p

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Name me a time in history when there were none rising up claiming to be some kind of messiah.

Name me a time in history when there was no war; when nations and kingdoms were not rising up against each other.

Name me a time in history when there were no earthquakes, famines or pestilence.

Name me a time in history when there were never groups of people persecuting their neighbors for holding beliefs different than themselves.

Name me a time in history when families did not turn on each other and betray each other.

The speaker or writer of those words of Luke 21 was quite brilliant, really. The signs of the "end times" are those things that always have been, and always will be.

I'm sure that during the Little Ice Age and the Bubonic Plague outbreak, people sat around fires and went into their synagogues and preached on the streets and lamented about how the time was at hand ....