• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God really THE god?

Segev Moran

You suggested the Earth would be "much more healthy left on its own."
yes. meaning without humans extorting it. humans can find many ways to reduce the damage we cause to our planet and i assume we have no other choice as we are running down on resources.
I am not suggesting humans should be extinct :)
As Man is the only force not leaving Earth "on its own," this suggests that the Earth is a Something that would be better off without Man.
See above :)
For you to dissect that response on my part appears to refute your supposition that "Earth" is a Something that would be healthier without Man.
See above?
I was suggesting that if "Man" is not Created; is not Something Special apart from the rest of the Universe, including Earth, then Man is a natural organism that populates and uses the Earth exactly in the natural manner as does all the Universe.
So far, as much as we know, we are the thing that have the ability to manufacture advanced technology. so this kind of makes us different (for now).
We do, however, strongly invest in trying to answer that question. so if eventually, intelligent life will be found on other planets, then we will know we are nothing more than another formed organism and that evolution is more common than we knew so far.
Until then, we can have the "right" of calling ourselves unique :)
You appear to want to refute that premise by postulating either the Earth or Man would be "better off" NOT using the Earth as we do.
Why?
Either what we do is normal and natural OR, what we do is different than what everything else does.

Not quite. we know for a fact we can do things that nothing else that we know (so far) can, we can intentionally change and manipulate atoms.

now the question is this: either what we do will bring humans to an extinction, or humans will learn to better use our resources and reduce harm to earth.

obviously, if no humans were around, the first will be the truth. i would really really really want to believe, that the latter will be true (so far, i am not yet convinced :().
I have knowledge of the history and practices of most mainstream religions, including Buddhism.
And, no, neither Buddhist writings; nor Hindu writings; nor Confucian writings; nor Muslim writings; nor any other major religion's writings, including earlier civilization's such as Greek, Roman, Sumerian, etc., have anywhere near the complexity and depth of the last 2,000 years of Jewish writings.
I agree :)
Yet those same questions are dealt with almost every religion.
the complexity of religion doesn't make it true, though i tend to agree that the Jewish religion is a more deep philosophical religion.
Your comparisons with "what you were taught as a child" are (and I write this without ill intent) rather child-like.
Lol.. How so?
I was raised to believe there is a god that loves everyone and gives people what they deserve.
took me many years to stop believing it.
ALL of my spiritual beliefs were based on what i was taught as a child.

assuming that, how would you express this idea other than : "what i was taught as a child"?
When you write (which is what I was humorously referring to above):
"So if 1000 years ago, i would ask you, what is more probable: that the sun is a boiling star and there are billions just like it, or is it a godly and divine creation, you will probably answer the first." - This is a child like view of religion.
Lol, i must have been very tired when i wrote that :)
It is meant to be: If would have asked you, a thousand years ago, what is more probable? that the sun is a giant boiling star or a divine object being held in the skies by a divine power, you probably would have answer the LATER :):)p being childish ;))
People, in general, believe all sorts of silly things;
agreed :)
child like things;
i usually don't. most skeptics i know don't. most of my friends and co workers don't, with some exclusions of course :)
ridiculous things;
Agreed. the things people sometimes believe gives me a good laugh.
even today in your modern world of neuroscience.
Indeed.
Scientism;
lol
Climate Change;
Thats a whole new debate i guess. The climate is changing though :)
Environmentalism;
I really hope you too share some environmentalism.
etc. are the new religions of "Thinking Man," while the rest of the peasants who do not think and who formerly wondered about the boiling star believe in the divinity of their celebrities or video games or parties or their righteous indignation that people intrude upon them...
Wow... it seems like we live in a completely different environment.
I see amazing people. some are jerks, true, but most of surrounding seems to be holding great people.
It seems you also have a bit of "technofobia" :)
if one teaches his kids not to admire celebrities, and provide them with good reasoning why not to do so, they will probably wont. religion, creationism, evolution, these are all irrelevant to your claims. the answer is always education. (for both parents and children)
In the Torah and all that that entails, there is a Divine History that is quite unique in the History of Man.
Agree about the unique, disagree about the divine :)
Jews are a-historical.
What do you mean? Jews are nothing but historical.
the entire jewish religion is based on historic tales.
That, combined with the sheer volume of research that Jews have given to This World, leads me to believe that, in the immortal words of Pharaoh (Yul Brynner) in "The Ten Commandments," -
"His G-d... IS G-d."
[/QUOTE]
Great for you :)