• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God impossible?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I say maybe.

... if for no other reason than when we ask a question and have no information to help us come up with an answer, the default answer is always "maybe": it could be yes or no, but we don't have enough information yet to tell which.

So could God be impossible? The answer is yes... until someone gives a good reason to believe that God is possible.

Does anyone have such a reason?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I say maybe.

... if for no other reason than when we ask a question and have no information to help us come up with an answer, the default answer is always "maybe": it could be yes or no, but we don't have enough information yet to tell which.

So could God be impossible? The answer is yes... until someone gives a good reason to believe that God is possible.

with Love all things are possible because Love is divine

| - Science of Relationships

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
FYI: I was inspired by something I noticed about this thread: Is there any possibility of God's existence. as well as similar past examples.

I think some people like to play a rhetorical trick where they equivocate between two different senses of "possible":

- "it's possible": I haven't ruled out the conclusion that this thing happened.
- "it's possible": I have ruled out the conclusion that this thing is impossible.

This thread is my attempt to get to the same issue without the trickery.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
IOW:
- everything is possible,
- "everything" includes God,
- therefore, God is possible?

I have some issues with that first premise.

the only ABSOLUTE in science is that there are no absolutes; so all things are possible because of LOVE.

Love isn't logical.

the ideal is to reduce to the lowest ABSOLUTE; which means things are going to get weird and more mysterious

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I say maybe.

God/deity is subjective. From whose point of view?

What do you mean by impossible?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It depends on how you want to define god. A Deist's god or Spinoza's god are certainly far more possible than gods living on Mount Olympus.
Define God however you want.

Are these gods possible enough to be possible, or are they just fatally flawed with fewer fatal flaws than other god-concepts?

Just because God A doesn't have some problem of God B doesn't mean that God A has no problems.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Define God however you want.

Are these gods possible enough to be possible, or are they just fatally flawed with fewer fatal flaws than other god-concepts?

Just because God A doesn't have some problem of God B doesn't mean that God A has no problems.
Personally, I'm not concerned with it. But, as I said, it just depends on how you want to define god, because clearly and obviously most god concepts are easily proven wrong, leaving only a few that don't have the logical problems of others but mostly a lack of evidence. When god can't get the value of pi correct, this god cannot be true (or, at least, certainly not omniscient), but it's harder to disprove if you believe in something like a "clockwork model" where god created the universe, set it in motion, and left it alone after that.

jonathan180iq

I say maybe.

Given everything we currently know about the nature of reality, I say God is an impossibility.

There will always be unknowns, admittedly. But those unknowns don't leave room for a Cosmic Supernatural being just because we want there to be one.

jonathan180iq

Personally, I'm not concerned with it. But, as I said, it just depends on how you want to define god, because clearly and obviously most god concepts are easily proven wrong, leaving only a few that don't have the logical problems of others but mostly a lack of evidence. When god can't get the value of pi correct, this god cannot be true (or, at least, certainly not omniscient), but it's harder to disprove if you believe in something like a "clockwork model" where god created the universe, set it in motion, and left it alone after that.
The latter God being just as useful as No God, right?

jonathan180iq

Not so much. A deistic God would at least potentially reassure us that there is worth in existence itself and a way to make it work.
A Deistic god, by definition, would not bother intervening or making himself known, right?
So whatever worth you derive from that idea would be entirely self-given.

It's not the existence of the god that gives worth or meaning to life, it's our choice to see it as such.

EDIT: We are imbuing this invisible unknown with qualities and attributes that we find appealing - there's no confirmation for any of our suggestions about the nature or character of god, making the assumption that it exists.

See what I'm saying? The existence of a Deistic god, if we are honest with ourselves, could just as easily be confirmation of a diabolical plot to ensure that everything dies...

Last edited:

jonathan180iq

If there is a god or not, it is what it is, and I don't know what it is, I'll never know what it is, thus I don't worry myself over it.
Right - which is why I constantly ask why we even talk about God as a thing at all...

We likewise do not and cannot know if an Invisible Space Wizard exists.
Does it really make sense, then, to spend huge portions of our lives talking about the logical possibility of its existence?

It's something I simply do not understand.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I say maybe.

Sure. Platonic metaphysics show that a Form of Consciousness is required. An immaterial, eternal, independent, conscious being is worth being called God. So God is not only likely, but required.