• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is god evil

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Really, my question is: why didn't Adam warn Eve not to listen to the serpent? He knew about all the animals. He would have known that this beast was dangerous.
None of the animals should have been dangerous at this time. Nature wasn't tooth and claw.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What I'm saying is they had no reason to believe any of the animals were dangerous... And the snake wasn't biting anyone... it was just talking.
As I mentioned to another poster, take a look at Gen 2:19. " ... whatever the man called each living thing, that was its name." One way of interpreting this is that Adam deduced the name of each creature based on its nature. If so, Adam would have known that the serpent was cunning and dangerous.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Not in (and I love saying this) context. Gen 2:17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.

That has to be seen as a true statement from God and the outcome has to be seen as complying with what this statement says.
It is just a very short story and has been read by Jewish redactors and translators and theologians for a long time. Maybe the story would be corrected if it said the obviously wrong thing.
That would mean that they somehow did die on that day (and we hunt around for a way they died on that day) or the statement is a legal judgement statement as in other parts of the Bible and does not mean necessarily that anyone died in any way on that day.
Or of course the length of a day could be longer than 24 hours as the JWs say it meant.

Brian2

Veteran Member
the serpent wanted to be punished. it was part of the plan. the serpent aspired to be the most cursed, it was in its nature.

Really? Is that part of Jewish Talmudic interpretation or something? Maybe it thought it could get away with it in making an ambiguous statement to Eve and then following it up with a true statement about what eating the fruit would give to Eve.
But God certainly sees the Serpent as guilty of something.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Apt Hindi proverb: "Soot na kapās, julāhe se lattham latthā"
(You neither have the thread not cotton, and you are having a fight with the weaver)

You neither have any proof of God or serpent, Adam or Eve, but you are hotly discussing them.

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
I never said God must be evil. The fact is that if God is good you should be able to demonstrate that. What do you call a person that could stop a rape with no harm to themselves but chooses not to? This is what your God does everyday. So is that Evil?

As God said to Cain: 6“Why are you angry,” said the LORD to Cain, “and why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you refuse to do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires you, but you must master it.”

God did not turn into the moral police to stop us exercising our moral choices even though He could disect those choices minutely and apportion blame etc.
Something had been unleashed on the world and God knew it would happen and already had a way figured out to put it back in it's box and to judge everyone on their choices and show us that we should trust Him and not go off and do our own thing according to what we want.
God is not evil in what He allows us to do, He just knows more than we do and that it will all be sorted out for the best in the end.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Apt Hidni proverb: "Soot na kapās, julāhe se lattham latthā"
(You neither have the thread not cotton, and you are having a fight with the weaver)

You neither have any proof of God or serpent, Adam or Eve, but you are hotly discussing them.

Surely the saying means that we don't know what God has or had in mind and we want to say to God that we know best.

MonkeyFire

From what I see being said...
'in the beginning adam and eve would never die, suffer, etc if they did not eat the forbidden fruit. Instead of controlling them god gave them freewill to let them choose for themselves.

They knew the consequences yet chose(that free will thing) to eat the forbidden fruit. So from then on they experienced suffering, death, etc. because of the choice they made.

Was god evil or fair since they were allowed choices, not forced one way or the other?

If I lay an apple on the table and tell you don't eat that or you will die,, but you choose to eat it anyway and die..
Is that my fault? Does that make me evil? Or did you die by your own hand and choices?

The apple is forbidden to Adam, but not God.

Clizby Wampuscat

As God said to Cain: 6“Why are you angry,” said the LORD to Cain, “and why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you refuse to do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires you, but you must master it.”

God did not turn into the moral police to stop us exercising our moral choices even though He could disect those choices minutely and apportion blame etc.
Something had been unleashed on the world and God knew it would happen and already had a way figured out to put it back in it's box and to judge everyone on their choices and show us that we should trust Him and not go off and do our own thing according to what we want.
God allowed evil to be unleased or was he an innocent bystander unable to stop it?

God is not evil in what He allows us to do, He just knows more than we do and that it will all be sorted out for the best in the end.
It is evil to allow a child to be raped when you have the ability to stop it without any consequences to himself.