• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is god a 4th dimensional being?

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
I made a new thread for something I posted in my other thread earlier today. I think this deserves it's own discussion so here it goes.
So I found this extremely interesting article a few days ago. Basically it's about a guy in the late 1800's that theorized about the fourth dimension. What I find interesting is the postulation that we can only comprehend things in our dimension of existance so if acted upon by a being from another dimension, we would not be able to comprehend the workings of that being beyond. Example: You draw a stick figure into life, and then draw a house with no door. It will be impossible for the stick figure to do anything outside if his 2 dimensions. As hard as he trys he can never enter that house EVER, until you draw him a door. If you apply this to us as 3 dimensional beings, could a 4 dimensional being manipulate forces around us, such as gravity, weather conditions, health, etc? Wouldn't that 4th dimensional being that we cannot use any of our 5 senses to detect to us be omnipotent?:shrug:

Here is the link. Higher Dimensional Geometry

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
We exist in three dimensions. Height, width, and depth.

The 4th dimension is time.

Though I still think it's an interesting point... perhaps God doesn't change at all and therefore is the only one who truely lives in the 4th dimension, while we are constantly changing physically and emotionally/mentally.

Mr Cheese

actually time as a 4th dimension was first proposed by HG Wells...

the 4th dimension is not neccessarily time

if one examines tesseracts and 4th and 5th dimensional hypercubes:

figure8.gif

Tesseract.jpg

Tesseract - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In geometry, the tesseract, also called an 8-cell or regular octachoron, is the four-dimensional analog of the cube. The tesseract is to the cube as the cube is to the square. Just as the surface of the cube consists of 6 square faces, the hypersurface of the tesseract consists of 8 cubical cells. The tesseract is one of the six convex regular 4-polytopes.
A generalization of the cube to dimensions greater than three is called a “hypercube”, “n-cube” or “measure polytope”. The tesseract is the four-dimensional hypercube, or 4-cube.
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word tesseract was coined and first used in 1888 by Charles Howard Hinton in his book A New Era of Thought, from the Greek “τέσσερεις ακτίνες” (“four rays”), referring to the four lines from each vertex to other vertices. Some people have called the same figure a tetracube, and also simply a hypercube (although the term hypercube is also used with dimension greater than 4).

Of course the Kabbalah has been shown to explore a 5th dimensional universe, for around 1000 years now... The Sefer Yetzirah goes on to label these as:

up down 1
foward back 2
left right 3
Past future 4
Good evil 5

These are of course labels and we shouldnrt be confused by getting worried about "good and evil" as a dimension.

I tend to think God is more of a quarternion like in being....which is arguably more in tune with the OP

Although as has been posited... maybe God doesnt change at all....

Maybe it is just us that changes...

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I made a new thread for something I posted in my other thread earlier today. I think this deserves it's own discussion so here it goes.
So I found this extremely interesting article a few days ago. Basically it's about a guy in the late 1800's that theorized about the fourth dimension. What I find interesting is the postulation that we can only comprehend things in our dimension of existance so if acted upon by a being from another dimension, we would not be able to comprehend the workings of that being beyond. Example: You draw a stick figure into life, and then draw a house with no door. It will be impossible for the stick figure to do anything outside if his 2 dimensions. As hard as he trys he can never enter that house EVER, until you draw him a door. If you apply this to us as 3 dimensional beings, could a 4 dimensional being manipulate forces around us, such as gravity, weather conditions, health, etc? Wouldn't that 4th dimensional being that we cannot use any of our 5 senses to detect to us be omnipotent?:shrug:

Here is the link. Higher Dimensional Geometry
Sounds like the book "Flatlanders."

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
If so, we should be able to see him in 3d.
Let a 3d object land on a 2d object and the touch will form a point. Let the 3d object fall through the 2d object and you'll see a changing 2d object. However, all 2d objects will only be able to "see" the 3d object in 2d.

If there is such a thing as 4d, we should either be able to see the 3d form of God or God exists outside our 3d realm and is therefor less interresting..

Oh, and taking time as 4th dimension just does not make sense to me..

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
If so, we should be able to see him in 3d.
Let a 3d object land on a 2d object and the touch will form a point. Let the 3d object fall through the 2d object and you'll see a changing 2d object. However, all 2d objects will only be able to "see" the 3d object in 2d.

If there is such a thing as 4d, we should either be able to see the 3d form of God or God exists outside our 3d realm and is therefor less interresting..

Oh, and taking time as 4th dimension just does not make sense to me..
Perhaps we do see evidence of this. I think we call them miracles. Others here like to call it magic.