• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is forced labour in prisons ethical?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Even just prison privatization has caused serious abuses. Judges not long ago were caught sending minors to private detention centers in return for kickbacks from the greedsters operating those centers.

I sometimes wonder how long it will be before scenes like this are repeated in America's prison systems:

Audie

Veteran Member
That hasn't been a rule in my family, I would not expect those who are unfit to work to not eat, and in a probably soon to be automated society I wouldn't expect anyone to work to eat once that point in time is crossed. I also would not stick a family member in solitary confinement for refusing to work for any reason in my view.
Everything is conditional.
Of course some cannot be expected to work.
Nobody would dispute that.
A listing here of such exceptions would be tedious
and pointless.
And speaking of point, what's the point of
your thread here?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Everything is conditional.
Of course some cannot be expected to work.
Nobody would dispute that.
A listing here of such exceptions would be tedious
and pointless.
And speaking of point, what's the point of
your thread here?
The point of the thread is whether or not it is ethical to *force* prisoners to work in my view.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
This is interesting to me because my youngest brother had a complete mental breakdown, committed some crimes, and was not bailed out by anyone, so until his trial he was incarcerated in Arkansas. He didn't do a bit of work, and was deemed incompetent to stand trial, and sent to a mental institution to get as straight as he possibly can be. He never did one lick of work anywhere, and now, though he CAN work part time, he won't. So he's not working at all, still. With his college degree and everything. Now, to be clear, I don't think he should work anywhere, but he can so there's that. But I wouldn't want him working with me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is forced labour in prisons ethical? My intuitive hunch is probably not, so why do we allow it exactly?
I say it's ethical.
Slavery is wrong because of coercion (in the extreme). Punishment
by incarceration is coercion for a just purpose, ie, dissuading people
from criminal behavior.
It should also rehabilitate, & prepare inmates for return to society.
If prisoners work, this could serve both goals.

Prison does far worse things than forcing labor....
- Solitary confinement.
- Exposing inmates to high levels of physical abuse & murder.
- Poor medical care.

I work by choice.
Were I imprisoned, & denied work, this would be worse for me.
Even if forced, work occupies the mind & body.

danieldemol

Premium Member
This is interesting to me because my youngest brother had a complete mental breakdown, committed some crimes, and was not bailed out by anyone, so until his trial he was incarcerated in Arkansas. He didn't do a bit of work, and was deemed incompetent to stand trial, and sent to a mental institution to get as straight as he possibly can be. He never did one lick of work anywhere, and now, though he CAN work part time, he won't. So he's not working at all, still. With his college degree and everything. Now, to be clear, I don't think he should work anywhere, but he can so there's that. But I wouldn't want him working with me.
Do you think it would have done his mental health any good to have been stuck in solitary confinement?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I say it's ethical.
OK
Prison is supposed to be punishing, to dissuade people from crime.
So you believe people commit crimes because prison is not punishing enough? I don't, I believe the causes of crime are far more complex and that punishment does not deter those causes.
It should also rehabilitate, & prepare inmates for return to society.
If prisoners work, this could serve both goals.

I work by choice.
Were I imprisoned, & denied work, this would be worse for me.
Well for the record I'm not denying that prisoners who want to work should be allowed to.
Even if forced, work occupies the mind & body.
So how do you prevent abusive work if prisoners are not even allowed to go on strike without punishment?

danieldemol

Premium Member
You'd have dispute that with yourself.
Well your argument appears to have been that people who are in the general population are forced to work. Do we stick people in the general population who go on strike in solitary confinement? It seems a system prone to abuse to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you believe people commit crimes because prison is not punishing enough?
No.
That's an odd inference.
I don't, I believe the causes of crime are far more complex and that punishment does not deter those causes.
I say that crime has multiple causes.
Do you have evidence that the threat
of prison doesn't deter crime?
I'll spare you anecdotes of people
I know who learned their ways must
change because they wanted never to
return to prison.
Well for the record I'm not denying that prisoners who want to work should be allowed to.

So how do you prevent abusive work if prisoners are not even allowed to go on strike without punishment?
The big problem I see is that because voters care
little about prison reform, elected leaders have no
interest in it. So the system runs without proper
oversight to protect inmate rights, to rehabilitate,
or for alternative (potentially better) punishments.

I've no solution to this problem.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I say that crime has multiple causes.
Do you have evidence that the threat
of prison doesn't deter crime?
I'll spare you anecdotes of people
I know who learned their ways must
change because they wanted never to
return to prison.
I'm not advocating that we abolish prisons, only that we remove punishment and replace it with isolation unless and until the point of rehabilitation.

The big problem I see is that because voters care
little about prison reform, elected leaders have no
interest in it. So the system runs without proper
oversight to protect inmate rights, rehabilitate,
or use alternative (potentially better) punishments.
Agreed
I've no solution to this problem.
Me either unfortunately, but I still care about it even if I don't have a solution.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well your argument appears to have been that people who are in the general population are forced to work. Do we stick people in the general population who go on strike in solitary confinement? It seems a system prone to abuse to me.
Only you can settle whether it's ethical in
your view.

When I said " everything is conditional"
I could have said it depends om infinite what- ifa
that i consider pointless.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Only you can settle whether it's ethical in
your view.
Agreed, but I find it helpful to make an informed opinion
When I said " everything is conditional"
I could have said it depends om infinite what- ifa
that i consider pointless.
Well if nobody forces governments to legislate and enforce those conditions then they won't exist in reality, so I believe there is a point to having them ironed out accordingly

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think one of the problems we face in the U.S. is that there are too many people locked up to begin with. I was looking up some stats and found this site: Mass Incarceration: The Whole Pie 2024

incarcerationgraph.jpg

Assuming that they're all guilty (which is questionable, but nevermind), it does make one wonder how we, as a society, end up producing so many offenders to begin with.

I also think we could chip away at some of these numbers by ending the "war on drugs." Violent offenders should remain locked up, but perhaps other arrangements could be made for non-violent offenders.