• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Evolution a religion?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is evolution a religion? If so, what makes it a religion? How is it like other religions? How is it different?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
It is certainly not. A religion or faith depends upon a belief in something not necessarily based upon evidence. However, most who profess a belief in evolution do so because of evidence, percieved or actual as it may be.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
To my way of thinking, you cannot argue that evolution is a religion without showing that belief in evolution shares with one or more religions some essential characteristic. If so, what characteristic or characteristics does belief in evolution share with one or more religions?

Does it say anywhere in the bible that evolution cannot be? It only says that creation took place, not how. So far, evolution answers that question.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
goodjewishboy said:
Does it say anywhere in the bible that evolution cannot be? It only says that creation took place, not how. So far, evolution answers that question.
That's all well and good, but is evolution a religion?

robtex

Veteran Member
Evolution is an evidencable theory. Religion rests on faith which is to say that which cannot be evidenced. Therefore evolution as proposed and researched falls outside of the realm of what can be described as religion.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
belief in a creator- NO
infalable doctrine- NO
ordained preisthood- Scientists with doctorates?
Scripture - peer reviewd publication
revieled faith - tested exparaments and facts.

hmm... I'm going to have to say that Science is not religion... not to say that there arn't scientists who don't 'worship' it, but as a whole it isn't designed to be that way.

wa:do

Sunstone said:
That's all well and good, but is evolution a religion?
Evolution is a science. :cool:

edit: painted wolf gives a better explaination.

edit edit: however I'd say that belief in a creator is not a question that science asks, so it has no bearing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
goodjewishboy said:
Evolution is a science. :cool:

edit: painted wolf gives a better explaination.
I think its a case of I agree unnanimously........:D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
goodjewishboy said:
Does it say anywhere in the bible that evolution cannot be?
That is the wrong question, as opposed to: where in the Bible is it argued that something other than evolution was responsible for biodiversity? The answer is obvious.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Deut. 32.8 said:
That is the wrong question, as opposed to: where in the Bible is it argued that something other than evolution was responsible for biodiversity? The answer is obvious.
It is? Do share...

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The bible argues that biodiversity is the case because that's the way God created it.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Nope.

... I think that about covers it. "Evolution is a religion!" is a cop-out for why believers of religion/ideology x just can't believe it. :rolleyes:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'd say no, though I think some people get as passionate about it (and creationalism, too, of course) as if it is a religion, instead of a view on how things came to be.

If evolution is a religion, what would be its teachings?

cmotdibbler

Kent Hovind has argued that TIME is god of Evolution.

I do *not* regard evolution as a religion but in some very twisted way can see where a YEC might get that idea.

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
The bible argues that biodiversity is the case because that's the way God created it.
My answer is also no.

Sunstone, I am neutral as to whether the Bible is making this claim. (My belief system allows for this). I was only asking for the verse with context.

~Victor

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've heard it said that it requires more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in creation, and that (since faith is an essential characteristic of religion), this means belief in evolution is a religion. What do you make of this notion?

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
Victor, the claim is, in effect, made by the creation stories in Genesis.
Sunstone, I'm sure you know that interpretation is everything. In that sense, it can be said that there was gradual change. Just like science says. Althougth I am not personally convinced of the evidence.

~Victor

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sunstone said:
I've heard it said that it requires more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in creation, and that (since faith is an essential characteristic of religion), this means belief in evolution is a religion. What do you make of this notion?
Another good question! (Getting a lot of those today, yay!) Since my take on things is as a theist (and therefore biased), I look forward to the atheist's perspective of this.

My opinion is that evolution can be a part of someone's religion, but it would make for a pretty non-rolicking religion in itself.