• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is eating the same meal every day unhealthy?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm pretty uncreative with making food, and also lazy when it comes to making food so I like very simple meals. Not to mention, I don't really know what I want to eat ever (does anybody?)

So lately I've been eating 3 eggs and 4 sausages with a full glass of milk almost every morning for breakfast Monday-Thursday. Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays I'll either skip breakfast, have a quick protein bar, or some baby carrots.

Every day of the week my main meal of the day has been oven roasted chicken, spinach, chopped onion, cheese, black olives, bacon bits, and ranch mixed together. It's just the easiest meal to make for me, and making it once will give me three decent sized meals, one every day for three days.

Friday-Sunday I have tuna sandwiches, though I was thinking about starting doing tuna sandwiches daily too. But I worry that might be too much iron?

I eat one banana a day, and one protein bar a day, every day.

Occasionally I'll snack on mixed nuts or yogurt.

My water drinking is good.

So... just curious for any nutritionists if this is healthy enough? Am I missing essential nutrients or vitamins?

The Sum of Awe

I've been thinking, if not tuna sandwiches on Monday-Thursday (because I guarantee to have them Friday-Sunday), then maybe I would just eat cereal for the second meal of the day.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I suppose tinterweb could address this. Find what a healthy diet needs to contain then compare it against your own diet.
Personally I would suspect the more samey and restricted your diet is, the more you are likely to invite longterm conditions as a result of deficiencies. (PS You're looking a bit low on fibre).

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I'm pretty uncreative with making food, and also lazy when it comes to making food so I like very simple meals. Not to mention, I don't really know what I want to eat ever (does anybody?)

So lately I've been eating 3 eggs and 4 sausages with a full glass of milk almost every morning for breakfast Monday-Thursday. Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays I'll either skip breakfast, have a quick protein bar, or some baby carrots.

Every day of the week my main meal of the day has been oven roasted chicken, spinach, chopped onion, cheese, black olives, bacon bits, and ranch mixed together. It's just the easiest meal to make for me, and making it once will give me three decent sized meals, one every day for three days.

Friday-Sunday I have tuna sandwiches, though I was thinking about starting doing tuna sandwiches daily too. But I worry that might be too much iron?

So... just curious for any nutritionists if this is healthy enough? Am I missing essential nutrients or vitamins?

I would drop the milk and sausage (such a nasty product, sausage is) and replace them with nice ripe avocado.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on what you're eating...

What you've got sounds a little protein heavy, with not enough produce!

(Not judging, I had mac and cheese for lunch. Just sayin'.)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Doesn't look terribly healthy to me. Your breakfasts are providing you a lot of fats and cholesterol. But most of all, a healthy diet is one that is varied, that consists of about 1/2 fruits and vegetables (mixing up green, deep red, yellow), about 1/4 whole grains, 1/4 proteins (fish, meat, beans and nuts in that order). Keep your use of fats to vegetable oils like olive, canola, soy, corn, sunflower, and keep your dairy to one or two small servings. Best to avoid fruit juices, and just eat the fruit (always good for dessert, or breakfast), although change a banana (or two or three) for something else, citrus or pome.

I see things like "3 eggs and 4 sausages and a full glass of milk" as being way to concentrated on fats & cholesterol. If I have eggs, it's one or two, same as sausage -- just one or two. Bacon (I love bacon) very occasionally.

Vegetables are often overlooked, because people don't know what to do -- but truth is, sometimes all you need to do is give them a quick steam (just to soften), then give them a little colour in a pan with just a touch of olive oil. And of course, there is no vegetable I won't put into a salad. Except maybe okra.

The Sum of Awe

Depends on what you're eating...

What you've got sounds a little protein heavy, with not enough produce!

(Not judging, I had mac and cheese for lunch. Just sayin'.)
I intended to have high protein for tha gainz and to be fair I am only aiming for 100-110 grams of protein per day.

But i could add more produce. Hmm. Maybe I’ll throw another mixed veggie bag on my sandwiches I’ll make.

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Why is sausage nasty? It’s turkey sausage if that makes it any better

Well, I am an advocate for a vegetarian diet, so turkey or pork - all nasty ;) Plus the preservatives and other additives in sausage are simply not healthy.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Doesn't look terribly healthy to me. Your breakfasts are providing you a lot of fats and cholesterol. But most of all, a healthy diet is one that is varied, that consists of about 1/2 fruits and vegetables (mixing up green, deep red, yellow), about 1/4 whole grains, 1/4 proteins (fish, meat, beans and nuts in that order). Keep your use of fats to vegetable oils like olive, canola, soy, corn, sunflower, and keep your dairy to one or two small servings. Best to avoid fruit juices, and just eat the fruit (always good for dessert, or breakfast), although change a banana (or two or three) for something else, citrus or pome.

I see things like "3 eggs and 4 sausages and a full glass of milk" as being way to concentrated on fats & cholesterol. If I have eggs, it's one or two, same as sausage -- just one or two. Bacon (I love bacon) very occasionally.

Vegetables are often overlooked, because people don't know what to do -- but truth is, sometimes all you need to do is give them a quick steam (just to soften), then give them a little colour in a pan with just a touch of olive oil. And of course, there is no vegetable I won't put into a salad. Except maybe okra.
I was reading a lot about cholesterol and dietary fat (as opposed to trans fat), and it seems the theory that they are linked to heart disease has been debunked. And truth be told I rarely use vegetable oil, but I do melt a bit of butter on the pan to give lubrication to the eggs as I’m cooking, as well as flavor.

I’m not well versed on my veggies, but I’ll look into adding more into my diet. I do like corn, beans, and peas.

I’m trying to eat a protein rich diet as well, as I am borderline underweight and trying to maintain a weight of 170-180 at 6’ tall. I suppose some veggies are high in protein.

The Sum of Awe

Well, I am an advocate for a vegetarian diet, so turkey or pork - all nasty ;) Plus the preservatives and other additives in sausage are simply not healthy.'
That’s true, sausages are very processed which is recommended to avoid. I’ve never had avocado before, what do I do with that?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I intended to have high protein for tha gainz and to be fair I am only aiming for 100-110 grams of protein per day.

But i could add more produce. Hmm. Maybe I’ll throw another mixed veggie bag on my sandwiches I’ll make.
Maybe instead of the three eggs, you could cut it back and mix some veggies in it? You could add more veggies into the mix with that midday chicken meal, and plop some on the tuna sandwich, too!

Regiomontanus

That’s true, sausages are very processed which is recommended to avoid. I’ve never had avocado before, what do I do with that?

For example

It is very versatile. Often I just eat them as is (after peeling them of course) with some wicked hot sauce.

And of course, guacamole.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I’ve never had avocado before, what do I do with that?
Anything and everything. Turn it into guacamole. Makes a perfect spread on toast, or in pretty much any sandwich you can think of. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time -- it's ready to satisfy all. Makes great dips, goes into salads to lift them to another level. Stuff avocado halves with crab, and you've got yourself an appetizer all your friends will praise you for.

anna.

but mostly it's the same

You might want to think about how much tuna you eat per week. Because of the mercury in tuna, it's been recommended that pregnant women and children limit weekly consumption, but now it's recommended that everyone use caution in the amount eaten per week:

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

We can all give you our views on whether and what to change in your diet but the best place to start is with your doctor. Get a physical and a full blood panel done. General dietary advice is just that, general. Personal factors like medical history, genetics, age, and lifestyle significantly play a role. You look youngish, getting medical results to establish a baseline on your health will be invaluable as you get older. Even a person who adheres to current dietary wisdom may discover they're excessively high in or grossly lacking in certain nutrients based on all of the above. And your nutritional needs can and will change as you grow older.

Discuss your diet, habits and test results with your doctor. That way, you can get nutritional advice that's most relevant to your personal health.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would not eat any more tuna than you are eating. Don't get me wrong. I love tuna. Especially at a sushi bar, but a good old tuna salad sandwich is fine with me too. The problem with daily tuna is mercury poisoning. Getting too much iron would probably only give you dark colored BM's. But mercury can build up in your system. I know a guy who did eat too much tuna for a while until it made him ill. He cut way back since then.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I'm pretty uncreative with making food, and also lazy when it comes to making food so I like very simple meals
Me too

I live mostly off Kellogg's Krave cereal, I eat it with Almond milk out of a plastic jug

I sometimes have Nutella and bread and at other times Golden Syrup on microwave pancakes

And I occasionally get a delivery

Is this regime an unhealthy one?

Very likely!

Do I care?

No, not one bit.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Come to Australia. We make jokes about ourselves due to the amount of people who eat avocado for breakfast.

1) Just scoop out some and have it with your sausage/bacon and eggs. Use it to reduce the amount of meat. (so...like...1 sausage and some avocado instead of multiple sausages. Just google smashed avo, or something. (I've included an example here)

2) Use it as a butter replacement on sandwiches or toast. Not uncommon here for people to have avocado and vegemite on toast for breakfast, but I'm assuming you're not up for that...lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Anything and everything. Turn it into guacamole. Makes a perfect spread on toast, or in pretty much any sandwich you can think of. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time -- it's ready to satisfy all. Makes great dips, goes into salads to lift them to another level. Stuff avocado halves with crab, and you've got yourself an appetizer all your friends will praise you for.
Chicken and avocado pasta goes down pretty well in our house.