• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Comedy Forbidden By The Progressive Left?

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that a comedy club in Seattle will not allow certain comedians to appear becuase they do not conform to the pollitical correct views of Seattle.

Wonder how the progressive left would view the comedians that I listened to in my younger days. Comedians like Richard Pyror, Red Foxx, Flip Wilson, George Carlin, Foster Brooks, Steve Martin; or shows like Laugh-In, All In The Family, The Jeffersons, The Red Foxx Show, and others.
I guess the progressive left doesn't have a sense of humor.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Wonder how the progressive left would view the comedians that I listened to in my younger days.

Well let's see. I'll post a video by one of the comics you mention: George Carlin. Tell me progressives, are you outraged by the things he says?

Warning: video contains foul language

Oh wait! He was a progressive himself? Or at least he had some pretty progressive ideas for his day, if nothing else

Did you know George Carlin was arrested for saying bad words? For exercising his first amendment rights?

Comedian George Carlin was arrested at Summerfest on July 21, 1972 for saying the 'seven words you can't say on television' while opening for Arlo Guthrie. TMJ4 News spoke with Carlin the day after his arrest. The comedian argued his set pointed out the irony of which words are 'allowed' to be used and which are not.

People want to complain that they can't say what they want to say anymore, but at least we don't arrest people now like we used to, or worse. Faulty memories about how things used to be vs. now

Last edited:

☆Dreamwind☆

Probably. They remind me of all those people on the far right who burn pokemon cards, and claim games make kids violent. Both hafta make up crap to be upset over in completely innocent works. They're both equally extremist, pearl-clutchy, demanding and absurd. Two sides of the same coin. My advice to them is the same as the other. If ya don't like something, turn the channel, don't read it, don't listen to it.

☆Dreamwind☆

Was it your intent to model such silliness? :)
Not really. I get annoyed and confused when people scream about how fantasy promotes "devil worship", as much as I do when people scream that She-Ra promotes sexism. Like, how did any of those people possibly arrive at those conclusions?

Like okay, I get being upset if media uses hateful slurs, that makes me very uncomfortable and annoyed. Even when it is older or done in a historical context. Which is why I'll turn it off or put it down, because that's not cool.

But there's far worse things to be genuinely upset, then trying to analyze media to virtue signal about.

ETA: I think tone has a lot to do with it too, if it's just light, friendly ribbing you know that's alright. If it's mean-spirited and tasteless, then it's clearly meant to tear people down which isn't cool at all.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Not really. I get annoyed and confused when people scream about how fantasy promotes "devil worship", as much as I do when people scream that She-Ra promotes sexism. Like, how did any of those people possibly arrive at those conclusions?

Like okay, I get being upset if media uses hateful slurs, that makes me very uncomfortable and annoyed. Even when it is older or done in a historical context. Which is why I'll turn it off or put it down, because that's not cool.

But there's far worse things to be genuinely upset over then trying to analyze media to virtue signal over.

ETA: I think tone has a lot to do with it too, if it's just light, friendly ribbing you know that's alright. If it's mean-spirited and tasteless, then it's clearly meant to tear people down which isn't cool either.
And I get annoyed at inane false equivalencies.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Seems that a comedy club in Seattle will not allow certain comedians to appear becuase they do not conform to the pollitical correct views of Seattle.

Wonder how the progressive left would view the comedians that I listened to in my younger days.
"The left" seems to be split on that matter. I'm not sure if that split goes through the progressives as well. The liberal (i.e. freedom loving) left is traditionally against most forms of censorship, including by private entities. The "bleeding heart" left is more concerned with hurt feelings. There they meet with the (mostly religious) "decency" right.
And here we see that it isn't the horizontal axis of the political compass, that determines who's in the cancel culture.

Comedians like Richard Pyror, Red Foxx, Flip Wilson, George Carlin, Foster Brooks, Steve Martin; or shows like Laugh-In, All In The Family, The Jeffersons, The Red Foxx Show, and others.
I guess the authoritarians on the left and the right have no sense of humour.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Wonder how the progressive left would view the comedians that I listened to in my younger days. Comedians like Richard Pyror, Red Foxx, Flip Wilson, George Carlin, Foster Brooks, Steve Martin; or shows like Laugh-In, All In The Family, The Jeffersons, The Red Foxx Show, and others.

You also have to consider the audience. It makes sense that a club that caters to progressives wouldn't want to have comedians that espouse certain views. Like, the club is there to make money, right? Would a club that caters to an extremely Christian religious community host a Ghost concert?

esmith

Veteran Member
There's the regular, tolerant, progressive left, and then there's the snowflake fringe that we roll our eyes at.
So you consider the majority of our colleges and universities students and professors snowflakes.....works for me.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

It may be helpful to consider that "progressives" may just not find comedy from a conservative's "younger days" funny.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Latin poet Juvenal used to say indignatio facit versum.
It's the outrageous situation that makes the joke.

Normal situations don't make anyone laugh.

The Ancient Romans invented the satyre. The Satura, and this is something that is anthropologically linked to the wit of the Ancient Romans.
Satura quidem tota nostra est, used to say Gaius Lucilius.

Last edited:

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
quote-sacred-cows-make-the-tastiest-hamburger-abbie-hoffman-13-43-00.jpg

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Latin poet Juvenal used to say indignatio facit versum.
It's the outrageous situation that makes the joke.

Normal situation don't make laugh anyone.

The Ancient Romans invented the satyre. The Satura, and this is something that is anthropologically linked to the wit of the Ancient Romans.
Satura quidem tota nostra est, used to say Gaius Lucilius.

And Terry Pratchett said "Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying."

I find that sonetimes when people get all "PC culture is killing comedy," what they are really saying is they want to continue bullying people for laughs.