• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is church attendance that important?

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have been struggling lately. I became a Christian again earlier this year and have been looking at churches. It seems when I start getting involved, I lose interest. I believe in God, love Jesus and want to follow his teachings, but I want to take part in helping the poor, sick and marginalized more than I want to go to Sunday services. I want community and like-minded folks, nonetheless. Help!
I go at least once a year, but that is clearly not enough. The thing is that they want me to sit still and listen to someone speak (usually some random speech they have desperately cobbled together), and the whole time I am ignoring everyone around me. Then we sing some songs. Then they send me home, and I just don't think that is church. Practically the only community connection is the announcements. I go to a 'Bible class' and its some guy going through pamphlets and facilitating child level discussions that go nowhere; and I'm absolutely impotent to change it. Nothing I say matters, because only one person matters: the preacher. In fact there is only one thing the church really wants: for me to get married and pay tithes and pretty much do whatever I want when I'm not at church. The pastor can do the same, for nobody is keeping an eye on him except his own family. We're all strangers except when we meet for events at church. Its weird. Its like a job. Finally there are all the shibboleth tests. Do you believe enough? Can you follow this zany worship leader? Don't you 'Feel the spirit' ? NO. No, I don't feel the spirit.

Tinkerpeach

I'm just curious, not judging here. May I ask what beliefs are these that you have that are at odds with various churches.

Here are my own thoughts, and it's perfectly okay if you see things differently. It makes sense to me that a person would not feel comfortable attending if that person disagrees with the core teachings, such as that Jesus is God and messiah and he died for you sins. On the other hand, there is no such thing as a church that is going to agree with anyone on every single issue. This isn't really an obstacle to worship with that community.

I know that any synagogue I attend is not going to match me perfectly. One may drive me nuts because they light candles after Shabbat has already started. Another one doesn't want me to sit in the same area as men. But I find it meaningful just being with my fellow Jews, praising God together. Ultimately, I feel at home in any synagogue.
It’s not so much any specific doctrine it’s the fact that church leaders do not like you to question or debate them.

Once I do that about whatever issue it was I usually find myself politely isolated in that church, the congregations are usually a pretty tight community and since I don’t fit in I just move on.

This happens almost anytime a pastor gives a sermon on Revelations and I question him afterwards. They don’t like to be second guessed.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
It’s not so much any specific doctrine it’s the fact that church leaders do not like you to question or debate them.
I understand. You are not the first Christian to tell me this, so apparently it is not uncommon. Certainly if you have had many of those experiences, I can see where you would reach the point of no longer wanting to try.

It's an entirely different culture than mine. In Judaism, we are encouraged to question as it is seen as interacting with the material on a higher level. Indeed, the student that asks questions is the Rabbi's favorite LOL. We have a very strong tradition of debate, seeing it as a way to explore the truth. But the arguments are not taken personally. You might have two Rabbis feverishly debating with each other over the Talmud, and then they will turn around and go out to lunch together. As I hear about the difference of experiences in other faiths, it makes me very grateful for what I have.

Tinkerpeach

I understand. You are not the first Christian to tell me this, so apparently it is not uncommon. Certainly if you have had many of those experiences, I can see where you would reach the point of no longer wanting to try.

It's an entirely different culture than mine. In Judaism, we are encouraged to question as it is seen as interacting with the material on a higher level. Indeed, the student that asks questions is the Rabbi's favorite LOL. We have a very strong tradition of debate, seeing it as a way to explore the truth. But the arguments are not taken personally. You might have two Rabbis feverishly debating with each other over the Talmud, and then they will turn around and go out to lunch together. As I hear about the difference of experiences in other faiths, it makes me very grateful for what I have.
Another problem in Christianity is that the hypocrisy is crazy, people preaching one thing then doing the opposite outside of church.

It seems to be rare to find people actually walking with Christ and many of the ones that do seem to be extremists doing things like speaking in tongues or dancing with snakes or something.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Another problem in Christianity is that the hypocrisy is crazy, people preaching one thing then doing the opposite outside of church.
I understand. I don't see that as a Christian problem. I see that as a people problem.
It seems to be rare to find people actually walking with Christ and many of the ones that do seem to be extremists doing things like speaking in tongues or dancing with snakes or something.
Every religion has its people on the fringe. I don't see such people as being better Christians or Jews or Muslims or whatnot. Actually, I tend to see them as an embarrassment to their respective religions.

muhammad_isa

That doesn't just happen in religion.
We all do that from time to time.
i.e. preach one thing and do another .. we are all sinners

..the ones that do seem to be extremists doing things like speaking in tongues or dancing with snakes or something..
speaking in snakes, and dancing with tongues?? ;)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don’t attend Church because I can never fully agree with who is leading it.

I made a decision long in coming, namely to leave organized religion and continue to embrace basic humanitarian teachings. However, I will still be attending mass with my wife but not participating as I am not in any way anti-Catholic nor anti-religion.