• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is American culture shallow and superficial?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's often said that American culture is shallow and superficial. Is this true? What do you think?

No*s

Captain Obvious
I can't say for certain. My experiences of multiple cultures outside of reading is a bit limited :p.

From what I've seen, American culture is simply another culture. Granted, it's rife with materialism, but that comes in times of plenty. It'll pass, and we'll be back to something else (hopefully, it'll pass gently).

Saw11_2000

People who say american culture is shallow are biased. A lot of Americans I bet think their culture is shallow. Classic, if you don't do what I do, you're wrong, crap.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Culture? :confused:

:biglaugh:j/k

It is the same as any other culture, but, as No*s said, it is the culture with (probably) the most materialism.

robtex

Veteran Member
If shallow means lack of dept than yes due to the fact that the new people came over less than 500 years ago we have quite a bit less cultural history to our lives than other countries.

However, superficial is not pratical at this point in our history. We are currently in what is called a bear market combined with an economic downturn. This means trading is more conservative than the norm and our economy has less value than say 5 years ago.

With the average family earning less money and probably haveing more expenses than just a few years ago most people are making do on less. The first thing to go is luxaries in times like this. Departement stores sales are falling through the floor espcially in electronics and furniture. Auto sales are lower with more conservative cars (as opposed to flashy) being sold than normal. Recreations are being redefined by many in the way of hiking and camping instead of resort trips.

This economic crunch which is now about 5 years old ( it stared before 9/11 happened), is making many people who are not wealthy much more simple in their pleasure seeking ideas.

I think that the economy of any country is tied to their level of superficially and the length of the cultures existance is tied to how shallow it is. If my opinion holds merit than the USA, being one of the newer cultures today is going to be shallow by justified comparision and superficailty is becoming less and less practical over here as the economic slump matures.

Master Vigil

I think the biggest problem is that the shallow material part of our culture is the one that everyone sees. (Media, hollywood, music, etc...) I actually think those people are the minority, they just have the biggest voices. Because the simple people have better things to do. :D

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
From what I've seen among my peers, too many people care too much about movies and fashion and not enough about their fellow man and the world. Yes, American culture is shallow and superficial.

martha

I think I have to agree with Jensa. Sometimes I wish there was a Good News newspaper and station on TV so that I could see the goodness in day to day life. I get tired of the misery and shock value as the standard.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I don’t need your war machines
I don’t need your ghetto scenes
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else’s eyes

:) Sorry , I grew up listing to the Guess Who . But yes , it can be very shallow . It can also put a man on the moon ....

BTW there is a story behind the song " American Woman ". Randy wasn't too happy have a border guard when he wrote it . It seems that when he asked the gaurd directions to the nearest " service station " , the band was sent to the nearest recuiting station . And that was during Vietnam , so I think that he may have had reason to be a little upset .... :)

Melody

I don't think American culture is any more or less shallow than any other western culture.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Sunstone said:
Have you listenned to conservative talk radio recently? Isn't that shallow?

Is it honestly any less shallow than the opposing side? Conservative talk radio is simply one manifestation of our politics, and if you ask me, both sides can get pretty shallow.

Lightkeeper

There is so much to our culture, that I don't see how you can make an overall statement. We come to the rescue of countries in trouble. We have many outreach programs. We have artists, musicians, poets, scientists, engineers, etc. Many people are on a spiritual quest. The fact that we make mistakes shows that we are seeking.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No*s said:
Is it honestly any less shallow than the opposing side? Conservative talk radio is simply one manifestation of our politics, and if you ask me, both sides can get pretty shallow.
I actually agree with you, No*s. Even though I'm pretty liberal, I admit that liberal pundits can be as shallow as conservative pundits. Maybe it's just that politics itself tends to be shallow.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Lightkeeper said:
There is so much to our culture, that I don't see how you can make an overall statement. We come to the rescue of countries in trouble. We have many outreach programs. We have artists, musicians, poets, scientists, engineers, etc. Many people are on a spiritual quest. The fact that we make mistakes show that we are seeking.
Good point, Lightkeeper. It's a sweeping generalization to say that American culture is either shallow or profound. The truth is closer to saying that some aspects of it are comparatively shallow and some aspects of it are comparatively profound.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Sunstone said:
I actually agree with you, No*s. Even though I'm pretty liberal, I admit that liberal pundits can be as shallow as conservative pundits. Maybe it's just that politics itself tends to be shallow.

OK :).

I think you're right in that. The best minds tend to go elsewhere. They're in physics or the sciences predominantly now. We can also find them in philosophy, and in the past theology (this is less of a trend now). I find it interesting that I rarely read a political treatise where the author's work simply seems brilliant, but I do in science, philosophy, theology, and so on. I've wondered about that before :).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No*s said:
OK :).

I think you're right in that. The best minds tend to go elsewhere. They're in physics or the sciences predominantly now. We can also find them in philosophy, and in the past theology (this is less of a trend now). I find it interesting that I rarely read a political treatise where the author's work simply seems brilliant, but I do in science, philosophy, theology, and so on. I've wondered about that before :).
I'm relieved that the Founders didn't have the same aversion to politics as most of us do today. Maybe the founding of the country was the last time we had many first rate minds engaged in politics.

Melody

Sunstone said:
Have you listenned to conservative talk radio recently? Isn't that shallow?
That's only a small aspect of our culture. I'm sure you can find the same sort of stuff in many European countries.

Melody

Sunstone said:
I wouldn't argue with you on that. We were watching one of those news shows this morning and they were discussing the Schiavo case in terms of the political advantage/disadvantage of taking sides. Apparently memos are already circulating among the politicians on how they can best use this for their advantage. Shallow and disgusting.