• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Alternative Healings against Jesus Christ?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Strange as it sounds, I've heard they are. Are things like aromatherapy, chakras, yoga, etc. against Jesus Christ and Christianity? If so why, and is there any practice that are non-doctor that are appropriate?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Well, a lot of the alternative medicines are bad for you and/or have the success rates of placebos.
Some alternative medicine works though. Like using vodka to cure hiccups and fungal growth.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Well, a lot of the alternative medicines are bad for you and/or have the success rates of placebos.
Some alternative medicine works though. Like using vodka to cure hiccups and fungal growth.

I'm more going towards the yoga, meditation, chakras, etc., are they acceptable to Christians and Christianity?

FFH

Veteran Member
Strange as it sounds, I've heard they are. Are things like aromatherapy, chakras, yoga, etc. against Jesus Christ and Christianity? If so why, and is there any practice that are non-doctor that are appropriate?
If they teach "the power is within" to heal, then that is definitely against the teachings of Christ.

Christ is the "resurrection and the life," not us...

UnityNow101

Of course meditation and the like would not be against the teachings of the Christ. The power of God is within you and we must awaken the power within, which is the Holy Spirit, if we are to get any benefit out of anything I believe. Meditation is simply the quieting of "self" to gain a better understanding on the world and its being. Nothing more, nothing less. In Luke 17:21, Jesus tells us that the "Kingdom of God is within us."

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Mar 6:13
(13)
And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

Anointing oil with Cannabis is known to heal leprosy and many aliments.

may

WHAT does "meditation" mean to you? If you follow the teachings of some Eastern religions, you may believe that it is something that brings greater clarity of thought or special enlightenment. Meditation practiced in Buddhism encourages emptying the mind of all thought. Other forms of meditation are said to encourage filling your mind with "universal truths of wisdom."​
The Bible’s view of meditation differs from these.

Bishka

Veteran Member
If they teach "the power is within" to heal, then that is definitely against the teachings of Christ.

Christ is the "resurrection and the life," not us...

So I am assuming you have some ideas in mind that are 'against Christ'.

Angelfire

Of course meditation and the like would not be against the teachings of the Christ. The power of God is within you and we must awaken the power within, which is the Holy Spirit, if we are to get any benefit out of anything I believe. Meditation is simply the quieting of "self" to gain a better understanding on the world and its being. Nothing more, nothing less. In Luke 17:21, Jesus tells us that the "Kingdom of God is within us."

Thank God for the voice of reason. Thank you, Thank you.

The Kingdom of God is within you, what does this mean? It means amongst other
things, that healing is within you, that peace is within you, in fact it means that just
about anything you could ever need or want, is within you. Eternal Life is within you,
what would the Kingdom of God be without eternal Life?

regarding Beckysoup OP: Aromatherapy-enjoy it. Meditation, yoga, chakras have
there place in a very advanced Christian.

peace

robtex

Veteran Member
If faith healing is faith in something other than God and Jesus than isn't it a direct violation of the first commandment ?

Popeyesays

Becky,

ALL healing is from God. Whether it is through laying on of hands, prayer, or the skills of a surgeon--it all comes from the same place.

Whatever is effective comes from God.

Regards,
Scott

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Anglicans and many other Churches have services of prayer and healing.

when the disciples found others healing in Jesus name, they asked Jesus about it, and he told them to let them be as those that were not against him were for him.
I think that is a reasonable precedent.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
I have seen a Native American Medicine Man do a Healing ritual for some one that was really sick, and all most right there, the person got better. So is one to tell me the Native Americans are Anti0Christ because there Healing and all is not though Jesus and the Christian God?

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I'm more going towards the yoga, meditation, chakras, etc., are they acceptable to Christians and Christianity?
Well, yoga is just stretching and has no medical benefit. You gain just as much from 30 seconds of stretching as from 10 minutes of it.
Some of the breathing yogas can actually cause hemorrhages in the brain.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I think it depends, really, on the individual and where their minds and hearts are when they practice aromatherapy, chakras, etc.

I find yoga to be quite centering and empowering. And acknowledging one's chakras makes bellydance quite fun. :)

When I practice meditational-type yoga (if that's even the correct term for the type of "yoga" I practice) I've ventured into very light places and very dark places. I use mantras that are specific to my faith and areas in my life that I need to improve. I believe that inner power and strength can come from Christ and I also believe that strength can be given by darker forces as well. Sometimes, the latter forces, at least in my personal experiences, posess more appeal.

I believe that everything we do is either "of Christ" or it isn't. I don't believe that there are any in betweens. God blessed us with bodies, complete with sniffers and arms and legs and we have the ability to express ourselves and use our talents in so many awesome ways. If we receive healing and comfort from things like aromatherapy and meditation...I think the important thing is to give glory to God while we're enjoying and appreciating the gifts that he's bestowed upon us. And of course, we should exercise good judgement if our hearts aren't in the right place when we exercise our gifts.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I believe that everything we do is either "of Christ" or it isn't. I don't believe that there are any in betweens. God blessed us with bodies, complete with sniffers and arms and legs and we have the ability to express ourselves and use our talents in so many awesome ways. If we receive healing and comfort from things like aromatherapy and meditation...I think the important thing is to give glory to God while we're enjoying and appreciating the gifts that he's bestowed upon us. And of course, we should exercise good judgement if our hearts aren't in the right place when we exercise our gifts.

This is such a beautiful statement and I appreciate your comments Dawny. I fully believe the same way as you and think it is really neat that you use all of that. :)