• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Abortion A Universal Human Right?

Should A Right To Abortion Be An Universal Human Right Protected By Treaty?

• Yes it should.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • No it shouldn't

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Other or Limited Rights (Please explain in thread)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I have a tree in my back yard. WHOOT!

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is abortion a universal human right that should be written into the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights Treaty?

Do you think it should be a universal human right in the case of the mother's life being endangered?

What about in cases of rape and/or incest?

What about in cases of endangerment to the mother's mental and/or emotional health?

What about a universal human right to abortion for economic reasons?

For birth control?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Sunstone said:
Is abortion a universal human right that should be written into the Universal Declaration Of Human Rights Treaty?
No. I think that a right to life trumps a right to have an abortion. FWIW, this is not just a religious conviction. I would have said exactly the same thing when I wasn't religious.

Do you think it should be a universal human right in the case of the mother's life being endangered?
Yes, but that's the right to life of the mother, not the right to have an abortion. In this instance I don't se that the mother is deliberately aborting a foetus per se, but rather that the death of the child is an unavoidable but tragic side effect of the treatment to save a mother's life.

No. Again, I think the child's right to life trumps the feelings of the mother. I don't doubt that this is a terrible situation to be in and I wouldn't even consider condemning someone who had an abortion for this reason but it's still a tragic waste of life.

What about in cases of endangerment to the mother's mental and/or emotional health?
I'd say the above covers this.

Absolutely not. If the only reason you don't want a child is because you can't afford to raise it, why not offer it for adoption to someone who can?

For birth control?
And this is absolutely the worst of all possible reasons. Why would we ever want to enshrine selfishness as a legal right? I see no justification whatsoever in aborting as a method of birth control. If you can morally justify that then you can morally justify infanticide also.

James

c0da

The tree option please.

Yes

Maybe.

Hmm, pass.

No

For birth control?

Certainly not.

darkwaldo

I believe it should be a universal human right; however, I would support legislation banning partial birth abortions. I think the cut off point for abortions, unless the birth would cause harm to the woman, should be the point when the child begins to feel pain. I see nothing inhumane getting abortions when the child doesn't have the capability to feel or think.
Some would argue that we have no right to play god but, arent the people that argue this point doing the same by forcing the child to be born?

Ophiuchus

I believe that abortion is a horrible thing, and that murdering and mutilation of unborn babys is the same as the murder of any Human.

The real problem is the sexuality in our society. Kids see and learn about sex from the media long before they get it from school or their parents. When the teenage years come they already know everything and do not feel that they should wait any longer, because most teenagers want to be grown up. This has been going on for several generations and it continuously gets worse as the new generations are raised by the earlier sex crazed generation.

Our society needs to put emphasis on restraint of their sexual urges, aswell as creating better forms of birth control.

Kids need to be guarded by tighter rules on the medias exploitation of sex.

The adoption of orphans should become a more common thing in familys who want to have children.

There needs to be better state run orphanages with more space and loving workers to care for as many unwanted babys as possible, so that the babys go there instead of to the executioner.

If these things are done there will be less if not no real needs for the existence of abortion, and this sickening practice can finally be obsolete.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Sunstone said:
Same as James.
Sunstone said:
Ectopic pregnancy is not technically the same as abortion. The death of the child is an unintended side-effect rather than the intended effect. As such, it falls under the principle of double-effect: a morally neutral act (the removal of the uterus/fallopian tube), intended for a good (to save the mother), produces a secondary evil (abortion of the child) that is tolerated because it is not inproportional to the good.
Sunstone said:
Same as James.
Sunstone said:
Same as James.
Sunstone said:
Same as James.
Sunstone said:
For birth control?
Same as James.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

For birth control?

Yes

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Ophiuchus said:
The real problem is the sexuality in our society. Kids see and learn about sex from the media long before they get it from school or their parents. When the teenage years come they already know everything and do not feel that they should wait any longer, because most teenagers want to be grown up. This has been going on for several generations and it continuously gets worse as the new generations are raised by the earlier sex crazed generation.

Yeah, and the fact that there are tons of groups out there lobbying for "abstience only" sex edcuation programs that don't teach kids about the mechanics and biology of sex, STD's, pregnancy and how to prevent them, and the types of birth control methods is making that problem worse and not better. How many of those kids will listen? And how many of the ones that don't listen won't use a condom when they do have sex? Improper edcuation about and use of birth control is not helping the rates of young women who get pregnant when they don't want and can't take care of children.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
putting aside my personal feelings on abortion, i think people should have a basic universal right to choice (but subject to the basic rights of others) - so yes, people should have the right to choose to have an abortion, regardless of the context of the situation

Faint

Yes, it is my right to be aborted if I want to.

Yes, the good of the one who is here outweighs the potential good of the potential/newcomer human.

Always

Yes

Sure, fetuses are potentially expensive.

For birth control?

Yes, accidents happen...damage control is necessary.

[SIZE=+0]I believe that abortion in 99% of the cases is murder.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]God said "Thou shalt not kill" not "but it's ok if it's just inconvenient for you"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Even rape and incest victims have no right to kill their babies, when that baby has the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]right to live just like you and me. The only time that abortion is the decision of the mother is when her life is in eminent mortal danger[/SIZE]

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ibelieveinonegod said:
[SIZE=-0]I believe that abortion in 99% of the cases is murder.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]God said "Thou shalt not kill" not "but it's ok if it's just inconvenient for you"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Even rape and incest victims have no right to kill their babies, when that baby has the[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]right to live just like you and me. The only time that abortion is the decision of the mother is when her life is in eminent mortal danger[/SIZE]

Greetings, ibelieve, may i start by welcoming you to the forums!

if i may, you might wish to look through our "guide" for new users, which you may wish to have a quick read through, with links to other useful information like the forum rules, FAQ's etc.

thanks in advance,
mike

sparc872

Perhaps, definitely only up to a certain point in the development of the fetus however.

Absolutely, she is entitled to her life.

Touchy subject. I guess after mulling over it a bit, I would say no. The child can be given up for adoption.

I would say that in the case of her mental stability failing her due to the pregnancy, then yes, so if the rape or incest caused her to lose control of herself, then abortion should be permitted.

As stated above, I would say that the child could be given up for adoption.

For birth control?

Nope.

Our society needs to put emphasis on restraint of their sexual urges, aswell as creating better forms of birth control.
I disagree. The problem with our culture is not that we display sexuality, it is how we represent sexuality. It is taboo, of limits here in the states. Most parents are uncomfortable talking about it to their children and so the children do turn to the media. Sex is used for advertisement, for arousal; It is manipulated to bring about certain responses. The problem is not that we are sexual the problem is that sex is not respected.

Teenagers do not know all there is to know about sexuality. They are not ready for it, what they have seen of it is fake, it is not real sex, it is advertising.

Cutting off sex altogether just builds up the desires. What we need to do is be open about sexuality in a real and truthful manner. We need to abandon our preconcieved notions of what sex is, based solely on how the media represents it, and embrace sexuality for the loving, caring wonder that it is. We need to realize that sex is not a way of pleasure, it is not like playing sports or going thrill seeking, it is something that needs to be developed in a good relationship.
Kids need to be guarded by tighter rules on the medias exploitation of sex.
Yes.

The adoption of orphans should become a more common thing in familys who want to have children.
Absoutely! I agree 100% We have a problem with overpopulation already, and if families would just be willing to adopt more often, it would solve many of our problems.

There needs to be better state run orphanages with more space and loving workers to care for as many unwanted babys as possible, so that the babys go there instead of to the executioner.
Are we killing off babies?

Ophiuchus

sparc872 said:
Are we killing off babies?

Yes I would say that abortion is killing babies. They were alive and they were killed, they were human and they were treated like a tumor.

Abortion is identicle to the nazi holocausts. It's insane to see how many people do not see this reality. Hundreds of millions of human lives have been exterminated for selfish purposes.

It is not beyond us in the free world to put an appropriate end to this cycle of murder.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I do not believe that any government has the right to prevent people from having abortions if the choose to.