• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a fetus human?

Is a fetus human?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hi all! I'm just wondering what the general consensus of this forum is about whether or not a fetus is a human being. If your answer is no, please leave a reason or two as to why you answered the way you did. I'm especially interested in the explanations for why a fetus isn't human.

If you believe a fetus isn't human because the brain and other organs aren't fully developed, do you at least believe it is human after birth? So the day prior to birth was it not human?

The word fetus (plural fetuses) is from the Latin fētus (“offspring”, “bringing forth”, “hatching of young”).

Please vote. Thanks!

MD

qualiaphile
This forum is extremely pro choice and far Left. You won't find many pro lifers here.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I believe a baby in the womb is a human being. The question, IMV, that people in disagreement would have to answer is when does the child become human?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Human, yes. A person, no.

A fetus is not an individual. It does not become an individual until the moment of birth. Until that point it does not have individual rights.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
This forum is extremely pro choice and far Left. You won't find many pro lifers here.
Well, I should find some interesting explanations for why a fetus isn't human. Also, a person can believe a fetus is human and still be pro-choice.

I believe a fetus is human and still believe some people, myself included, should have been aborted.

Ted Bundy was an unwanted pregnancy born out of wedlock. His Mother lied to him and told him his grandparents were his parents to hide his illegitimacy.

His Mother should have just aborted him and it would have been a blessing, saved himself, and more importantly, a lot of other people an enormous amount of heartache and grief.

I'm not going to give you any studies, but I know being an unwanted pregnancy and not having both parents or having dysfunctional parents can contribute to sociopathic behavior.

So I believe a fetus is human but also don't believe abortion should be illegal.

Kenny

Premium Member
Human, yes. A person, no.

A fetus is not an individual. It does not become an individual until the moment of birth. Until that point it does not have individual rights.
So, you are saying that the exiting through the vagina makes it human?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me the fetus becomes human when the soul enters it. Since we as humans can't know when that is, I would put it as when the fetus becomes viable outside the womb, somewhere around 22-24 weeks. Before then I have no problem with abortion. After that, I do. This of course puts me strongly in the minority since I don't subscribe to either extreme.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What's the difference about being an individual vs human?
The hair on my head is human. My foot is human. My fingernails are human. Being human means very little.

But an individual has rights, an individual is a person.

A fetus is part of someone else.

I do believe a fetus does have certain rights, vague and undefined as they may be. But I believe it is the prerogative of the mother to exercise those rights, or not, on behalf of the fetus. Even if she chooses to abdicate those rights on behalf of the fetus. There is no one else, not the father, not the government, not the church, not any other family member who can exercise these rights on behalf of the fetus. The relationship between a mother and the unborn fetus is unique, no other relationship in human life compares.

(And before you say it, I realise that a fetus is not like hair. That was a crude analogy I admit. )

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but I don't believe human status, or even personhood status, is relevant to the discussion of legal abortion and body autonomy. As far as I'm concerned, it could be a fully adult person crawled up in there and the mother would still have the legal and moral right to have them removed. The only difference is an adult would be viable outside the womb, so should be removed live. With a non-viable embryo, live extraction would be pointless (at our current technology level anyway.)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, I don't know what rights a fetus has either and I'm not trying to argue that it has any, but if a fetus is human, or if a mother believes the fetus is human, that makes abortion a tragedy, because the Mother believes a human life was taken in the process, and that human would have been her son/daughter.

I'm not saying a fetus should have rights or that legal abortions shouldn't be available, but pointing out that if the fetus is human, that explains why some women regret their decision for a lifetime and it eats away at them like cancer.

They believe they killed a human being that was their son/daughter. That isn't an easy fact for some people to live with.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So, I don't know what rights a fetus has either and I'm not trying to argue that it has any, but if a fetus is human or if a mother believes the fetus is human, that makes abortion a tragedy because the Mother believes a human life was taken in the process and that human would have been her son/daughter.

I'm not saying a fetus should have rights or that legal abortions shouldn't be available, but pointing out that if the fetus is human, that explains why some women regret their decision for a lifetime and it eats away at them like cancer.

They believe they killed a human being that was their son/daughter. That isn't an easy fact for some people to live with.
Sometimes people have similar regrets about eating meat. Emotional judgements and values vary.

Kenny

Premium Member
To me the fetus becomes human when the soul enters it. Since we as humans can't know when that is, I would put it as when the fetus becomes viable outside the womb, somewhere around 22-24 weeks. Before then I have no problem with abortion. After that, I do. This of course puts me strongly in the minority since I don't subscribe to either extreme.
I wonder if modern technology will lower the 22 weeks.