• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran's Only Female Olympic Medalist Says She Has Defected

danieldemol

Premium Member
'An Iranian Olympian, Kimia Alizadeh, has reportedly defected from the Islamic Republic, according to a letter she published on her Instagram account on Saturday.

The letter was published in Persian and is accompanied by a black and white image of her from the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

She describes her decision to leave as difficult, but referring to herself as "one of the millions of oppressed women in Iran," Alizadeh says it was necessary.

"This decision is even harder to win than the Olympic gold, but I remain the daughter of Iran wherever I am," Alizadeh writes.'

Read more here: Iran's Only Female Olympic Medalist Says She Has Defected

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are whole lotta Iranian ex-pats living here.
Many I know left to avoid dying in the Iraq-Iran war.
Chicago is popular with them.
Oddly though, none describe themselves as "defector".

Audie

Veteran Member
There are whole lotta Iranian ex-pats living here.
Many I know left to avoid dying in the Iraq-Iran war.
Chicago is popular with them.
Oddly though, none describe themselves as "defector".

I have great respect for Iranians, I so wish they
could free themselves from that insane government.

When they find out how, they can pass the word
to us.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Iran voted for the Left and look what they got.

The people have been suffering for that mistake ever since.

Cooky

Veteran Member
They suffer doubly.....under an insane government
which is continually attacked by our insane government.

...Well if Iran does kill those protesting their government, I hope we really do attack Iranian military installments and cripple their government.

"To the brave, long-suffering people of Iran: I've stood with you since the beginning of my Presidency, and my Administration will continue to stand with you,” Trump tweeted in both English and Farsi. “We are following your protests closely, and are inspired by your courage" ~ Donald Trump

"To the leaders of Iran - DO NOT KILL YOUR PROTESTERS. Thousands have already been killed or imprisoned by you, and the World is watching. More importantly, the USA is watching. Turn your internet back on and let reporters roam free! Stop the killing of your great Iranian people!“ ~ Donald Trump

"The government of Iran must allow human rights groups to monitor and report facts from the ground on the ongoing protests by the Iranian people. There can not be another massacre of peaceful protesters, nor an internet shutdown. The world is watching" ~ Donald Trump

Reports of "gunshots" and "pools of blood" have already been reported..
'Clerics get lost!': Iran protests rage on over plane disaster

Cooky

Veteran Member
You believe that is the best path towards peace?
Our experiences with nation building hasn't gone well yet.

I do believe that, yes. Because without the Iranian government, the Iranian people would experience much prosperity. They're not cave dwelling wild nomads like Afghani's.

...Of course I'm not interested in nation building. I'm all about the demolition service, exclusively.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do believe that, yes. Because without the Iranian government, the Iranian people would experience much prosperity. They're not cave dwelling wild nomads like Afghani's.

...Of course I'm not interested in nation building. I'm all about the demolition service, exclusively.
Demolition without guiding what rises therefrom is a crap shoot.
Seems reckless...even more so than Ameristan has been thus far.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Demolition without guiding what rises therefrom is a crap shoot.
Seems reckless...even more so than Ameristan has been thus far.

In my thinking, as a Paleoconservative, it's their prerogative to choose what they want for themselves. With us physically removed from their country entirely...

The Europeans should help do restructuring. We're better at demo.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my thinking, as a Paleoconservative, it's their prerogative to choose what they want for themselves. With us physically removed from their country entirely...
I foresee a huge waste of money, many deaths, & our being
embroiled in yet another nagging war fueled by deficit spending.
That doesn't sound like any kind of "conservative".
The Europeans should help do restructuring. We're better at demo.
You expect the Eurostanians to be useful in finishing our plan for us?
Imagine this....
I'm patting you on the head, & smiling affectionately.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have great respect for Iranians, I so wish they
could free themselves from that insane government.

When they find out how, they can pass the word
to us.
Iranian citizens have a reputation of bring pretty peaceful and friendly. Even to foreigners.

The Iranian government, not so much.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I foresee a huge waste of money, many deaths, & our being
embroiled in yet another nagging war fueled by deficit spending.
That doesn't sound like any kind of "conservative".

You expect the Eurostanians to be useful in finishing our plan for us?
Imagine this....
I'm patting you on the head, & smiling affectionately.

I know I'm not supposed to think like this, being a Paleocon. It's just that I have a hard time turning my back on innocent people in trouble.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I know I'm not supposed to think like this, being a Paleocon. It's just that I have a hard time turning my back on innocent people in trouble.
You suffer from 2 things...
1) Too much empathy.
2) Too little desire for low taxes.
3) Trust that our leaders have will plan things well.

Cooky

Veteran Member
When in war do civilians not suffer? When do they suffer less than actual combatants? Even without bombs, meddling is how Iran became radicalized.

Your hypothesis about Iran's radicalization is just that.

...As far as civilians suffering? That all depends mostly on whether soldiers hide behind human civilian shields for their own safety or not.