• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iran: More than 100 protesters believed to be killed as top officials give green light to crush

Cooky

Veteran Member
Iran: More than 100 protesters believed to be killed as top officials give green light to crush protests

'Verified video footage, eyewitness testimony from people on the ground and information gathered from human rights activists outside Iran reveal a harrowing pattern of unlawful killings by Iranian security forces, which have used excessive and lethal force to crush largely peaceful protests in more than 100 cities across Iran sparked by a hike in fuel prices on 15 November, said Amnesty International today.

At least 106 protesters in 21 cities have been killed, according to credible reports received by Amnesty International. The organization believes that the real death toll may be much higher, with some reports suggesting as many as 200 have been killed. State media have reported only a handful of protester deaths, as well as the deaths of at least four members of the security forces.'

Iranian security forces are using lethal force to crush protests

Iran can NEVER be allowed to possess nuclear weapons, obviously. They cannot be trusted.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Iran: More than 100 protesters believed to be killed as top officials give green light to crush protests

'Verified video footage, eyewitness testimony from people on the ground and information gathered from human rights activists outside Iran reveal a harrowing pattern of unlawful killings by Iranian security forces, which have used excessive and lethal force to crush largely peaceful protests in more than 100 cities across Iran sparked by a hike in fuel prices on 15 November, said Amnesty International today.

At least 106 protesters in 21 cities have been killed, according to credible reports received by Amnesty International. The organization believes that the real death toll may be much higher, with some reports suggesting as many as 200 have been killed. State media have reported only a handful of protester deaths, as well as the deaths of at least four members of the security forces.'

How do you feel about the 76 people killed at Waco by US security forces?

danieldemol

Premium Member
How do you feel about the 76 people killed at Waco by US security forces?
According to Wikipedia ‘During the attack, a fire engulfed Mount Carmel Center. This resulted in the deaths of 76 Branch Davidians, including 20 children, two pregnant women and David Koresh.[8][9]

The events of the siege and attack are disputed by various sources. A particular controversy ensued over the origin of the fire; an internal Justice Department investigation concluded in 2000 that sect members had started the fire.’

So how where 76 people killed by security forces?
And how does the seige of armed combatants stockpiling illegal weapons compare to firing live ammunition at mostly peaceful protesters?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
According to Wikipedia ‘During the attack, a fire engulfed Mount Carmel Center. This resulted in the deaths of 76 Branch Davidians, including 20 children, two pregnant women and David Koresh.[8][9]

The events of the siege and attack are disputed by various sources. A particular controversy ensued over the origin of the fire; an internal Justice Department investigation concluded in 2000 that sect members had started the fire.’

So how where 76 people killed by security forces?
And how does the seige of armed combatants stockpiling illegal weapons compare to firing live ammunition at mostly peaceful protesters?

Yes there is a controversy over who started the fire.
Mostly peaceful? I guess like in the Waco case, the government will determine whether the action was justified.

So if Iraq comes back saying the action was justified, what then?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Yes there is a controversy over who started the fire.
Mostly peaceful? I guess like in the Waco case, the government will determine whether the action was justified.

So if Iraq comes back saying the action was justified, what then?
I assume you mean Iran, and if they say the action was justified it won’t be credible due to the reports and evidence already gathered from independent human rights groups.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I assume you mean Iran, and if they say the action was justified it won’t be credible due to the reports and evidence already gathered from independent human rights groups.
As opposed to all the independent human rights observers and their glowing reports about various US enforcement agencies?

danieldemol

Premium Member
As opposed to all the independent human rights observers and their glowing reports about various US enforcement agencies?
I have not said that US enforcement agencies have a clean bill of health, i was asked for an on the spot judgement regarding Waco.

If you have any independent reports on Waco feel free to share them.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I have not said that US enforcement agencies have a clean bill of health, i was asked for an on the spot judgement regarding Waco.

If you have any independent reports on Waco feel free to share them.
Can't have negative independent reports if you don't allow independent observers.
ollesafeee.jpg

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

It's great to see people (in the west) caring about Iranian protestors and condemning facing them with brutal force.

What its bad though, is the undeniable truth that this care is selective, hypocritic and for political reasons.

Would they similarly care about the protestors in Saudi Arabia, assuming that people can protest there?!

What about the Palestinian protesters?!

The Bahrainis?!

This is how people behave! Allover!

danieldemol

Premium Member
It's great to see people (in the west) caring about Iranian protestors and condemning facing them with brutal force.

What its bad though, is the undeniable truth that this care is selective, hypocritic and for political reasons.

Would they similarly care about the protestors in Saudi Arabia, assuming that people can protest there?!

The Bahrainis?!

Your assumptions are not founded in fact.

Of course I care about the right to protest in Saudi Arabia.

As far as Palestinians go I respect their right to peaceful protests as well, and even applaud them for protesting/resisting illegal settlements (albeit not by random targets on Israel’s population).

And as for the people’s of Bahrain just because their plight hasn’t been brought to my attention doesn’t mean I wouldn’t care if I knew what was going on there.

I think your objections to people criticising obviously excessive use of force are what is hypocritical and politically motivated.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Your assumptions are not founded in fact.

Of course I care about the right to protest in Saudi Arabia.

As far as Palestinians go I respect their right to peaceful protests as well, and even applaud them for protesting/resisting illegal settlements (albeit not by random targets on Israel’s population).

And as for the people’s of Bahrain just because their plight hasn’t been brought to my attention doesn’t mean I wouldn’t care if I knew what was going on there.

I think your objections to people criticising obviously excessive use of force are what is hypocritical and politically motivated.

I don't talk you personally, as I don't know you.
I was talking in general.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

There's probably very little that anyone can actually do, though, short of declaring war on Iran or providing the means for some sort of insurgency.

Just like China is calling the Hong Kong protesters "criminals" and the newly-formed Bolivian government is calling protesters "terrorists," it seems all too easy to just label groups of people to justify any kind of government excess or other scourges of the state. If the Iranian government is doing the same thing, it may not be credible, but what can anyone do about it?

It was much the same with the people at Waco. They were maligned as the "whackos in Waco" and "anti-government nuts." I honestly don't believe that the government intentionally started the fire or wanted to burn all those people. But maybe if they hadn't have gone in like gangbusters from the outset, they might have been able to resolve the situation without violence. There's also the question of whether they should have attacked the compound at all; it could be argued that they should have waited it out longer.

Then there was also the Kent State shootings, which had a much lower death toll, yet still remains as one of the more notorious examples of excessive force against protesters. But the other aspect of that is that the National Guard troops were mainly kids themselves, and they were nervous and afraid and panicked. It wasn't like the government ordered them to go out and shoot people, although Nixon was quoted just a day earlier calling the anti-war protesters "bums."

Shad

Veteran Member

Good thing the USA gave Iran all that money back right?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The Bahrainis?!

I don't know if you can make that assumption about everybody. What about the Bolivian protesters or the Hong Kong protesters or the Chilean protesters? There's lots of protesting going on all over the world. I agree with that.

Reactions to it may differ somewhat. I think there are those who genuinely do care about the protesters and the brutal treatment they receive; some people are just compassionate that way, regardless of who it may be.

Others might also care, but look at it from the viewpoint of the possible ramifications and consequences. Governments which find it necessary to kill large numbers of its citizens exude a certain level of desperation and panic, indicating possible instability and potential for collapse. The consequences would likely be felt in other countries.