• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intrusive Advertising

What have you done to avoid annoying advertising?

• I have hacked my browser or installed blockers or blocked cookies

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • I have avoided certain major news networks or other media groups

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have covered my eyes or ears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have switched search engines

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I have officially complained

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have stopped watching TV or Cable or both

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • I mute advertising on media such as DVD

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I have directly downloaded content to avoid advertising

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I pay premium prices to avoid advertising

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have switched internet providers to avoid advertising

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this (rather than impressive search features) caused both Yahoo and Bing to lose market share to google.

What is your opinion, and what level of advertising do you find unacceptable? What do you find acceptable?

Onoma

I don't pay much attention, but I also don't visit many sites that have advertising

As far as intrusive, my internet provider sends junkmail daily, auto-dialed telemarketers daily, emails daily, texts daily, and recently even started sending me texted pictures of various things they think I want to know about

At this point I'm expecting a bird to fly by my window and toss a note in

I couldn't help but think about how wasteful their business practices are

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I think this (rather than impressive search features) caused both Yahoo and Bing to lose market share to google.

What is your opinion, and what level of advertising do you find unacceptable? What do you find acceptable?

If a websites features are regularly and actively covered by advertisements, I will stop using the website completely. I stopped watching Cable TV when I was 18 to avoid commericals, and Cable news.

alsome

I want to see that putting all the adverstments be in area, to the right, or left:
not shift the video up and done, or is that me ? Am I bad !

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

I am not a fan of ads that have to be closed or scrolled through or otherwise require my actively dealing with them in order to do what I am doing.
Ads that merely take up some screen space and only take up some screen space I typically ignore.
UNLESS it catches my attention.
Then I may look at it for a second or two before scrolling by.

I am not a fan of advertising that wastes my time.
When I am looking for something, I look for it directly.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I dont mind advertising of and in itself but I do think advertisers have clearly stepped over the line. Especially involving malware and the use of Trojans. I also am against any advertizer selling my information to anybody without permission or compensation to use it.

Pop up also should be eliminated.

Onoma

I will add that I noticed many websites have adblock detection that can be easily defeated by refreshing the page, then hitting the icon again to stop the page from fully loading. Usually, this allows you to bypass the detection ( Not all websites ). I know nothing about coding, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the order of the execution of the code for the web page ?

Happy reading

On Youtube if the ad is any more than 5s I refresh the page continuously until the video starts without an advert.

Sometimes this takes longer than watching the advert itself, but it's more satisfying :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ive given up on most TV
Bought a lifetime membership on RF and other sites i use regularly
Use Chrome and its popup blocker (doesn't work against on page frame popups through)

I was told by those in the know that if a webpage takes more than 5 to 7 seconds to load you loose 90% of your visitors who expect instant results or simply back out of the page never to return.

I have seen sites with so much advertising that the page takes aeons to load.

Google on site advertising (adwords) limits the number of ads allowed on a page to 3 to keep loading time down and hence increase potential customers.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I haven't had television since the '90's, including dvd's. I listen to the radio, and usually turn down the ads. I've even quit some of my online shopping at certain retailers due to the constant interruptions to my shopping by obnoxious pop-ups and such. I've seriously considered getting rid of the telephone due to all the robocallers that constantly call during my sleep period in spite of being on the do-not-call registry, but I do need the telephone in case of emergencies.

Last edited:

Eyes to See

I believe people have freedom of speech by nature, and it would be impossible/ridiculous/cruel/unwise to try to control speech. People should be allowed to say what we think.

I mean I don't get advertising. I am not bothered with it, not that I don't mind it, but that I use precautions so as not to be bombarded with it.

Deidre

Sometimes, I get sucked in and purchase something I don't need due to ''intrusive advertising.'' I'm weak. :pensive:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I find intrusive advertising to be counter productive. If you have to interrupt a video someone is watching, just to promote a product that is neither wanted nor needed, I am just going to hate you for the interruption....and would never buy a product from you anyhow. With TV you expect it, but the bank of ads these days is sometimes more than the content of the show you're watching. I don't watch much TV anymore because of that.
mad0095.gif

But FaceBook is the worst......you're watching an interesting short video and bang in the middle of the most interesting part they force you to watch an add.....it makes me so angry that I just scroll to the next video.
mad0177.gif

How is that making your product attractive, if you are forcing your adds on people?

Even trying to read news items, the page takes forever to load because of the ads.....

I am so sick of these marketing ploys! If I want to buy something, I'll go and look for it. If your website is to my liking, and you have the right price....I may buy off you.....
indifferent0028.gif

Twilight Hue

I believe people have freedom of speech by nature, and it would be impossible/ridiculous/cruel/unwise to try to control speech. People should be allowed to say what we think.
I agree yet the practice of censorship is undoubtedly widespread and used often.

Twilight Hue

I find intrusive advertising to be counter productive. If you have to interrupt a video someone is watching, just to promote a product that is neither wanted nor needed, I am just going to hate you for the interruption....and would never buy a product from you anyhow. With TV you expect it, but the bank of ads these days is sometimes more than the content of the show you're watching. I don't watch much TV anymore because of that.
mad0095.gif

But FaceBook is the worst......you're watching an interesting short video and bang in the middle of the most interesting part they force you to watch an add.....it makes me so angry that I just scroll to the next video.
mad0177.gif

How is that making your product attractive, if you are forcing your adds on people?

Even trying to read news items, the page takes forever to load because of the ads.....

I am so sick of these marketing ploys! If I want to buy something, I'll go and look for it. If your website is to my liking, and you have the right price....I may buy off you.....
indifferent0028.gif
You know it does come across as a collective mental sickness to just about spam ones advertising on just anything out there that isn't nailed down.

Like a graffiti tagger that can't resist the urge to copy and paste their mark everywhere they point their spraycan at as if that is going to impress people.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I always use an ad blocker and have set my browser to delete cookies from all but a few selected sites after each session. If a site has adblock detection there's usually (in small letters somewhere) an option to "continue without supporting us" or something like that, if not, I just exit don't go back to the site.

As far as broadcast TV is concerned I simply don't watch it live any more (expect BBC News, which doesn't have adverts) I always download (legally) from my satellite provider and free to air recorder and then simply fast-forward through the ads. But I find I'm watching far more on Netflix and Amazon these days anyway.

Radio, I use either ad-free internet stations (there are some) or BBC (no ads).

I always find the option to opt out of all marketing communication (email, phone, text, and mail) from anything I sign up to - there are EU and UK regulations that say you must be given the option to do so, not sure if it's the same elsewhere.

As a result, I really don't see much advertising.