• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Into Darkness Forever...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Inflation tells us that the period of time before the Big Bang was extremely cold, almost at absolute zero, and it was empty of everything but empty space, and that empty space carried energy that stretched the universe out to this enormous size and into the initial state before the Big Bang...

...Eventually, the only thing that will be left in the universe that we can see will be the few dozen galaxies that are closest to us, and our observable universe will just be dark and empty. That’s the ultimate fate. Just this little island of stars in a completely empty and black space. After a hundred trillion years or so, the last stars will burn out, and the universe will descend into darkness forever.”
What came before the Big Bang? UB physicist’s new popular science book explains one leading theory

The cosmic inflation theory.

What do you think is the ultimate fate of the universe?

My philosophy is...
Well, I'm alive today,
tomorrow, :shrug:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Inflation tells us that the period of time before the Big Bang was extremely cold, almost at absolute zero, and it was empty of everything but empty space, and that empty space carried energy that stretched the universe out to this enormous size and into the initial state before the Big Bang...

...Eventually, the only thing that will be left in the universe that we can see will be the few dozen galaxies that are closest to us, and our observable universe will just be dark and empty. That’s the ultimate fate. Just this little island of stars in a completely empty and black space. After a hundred trillion years or so, the last stars will burn out, and the universe will descend into darkness forever.”
What came before the Big Bang? UB physicist’s new popular science book explains one leading theory

My philosophy is...
Well, I'm alive today,

In the long run, we are all dead.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are several hypothesis on how the universe will end. One thing for sure, there will be no one alive to turn hypothesis into theory.

I do like the heat death idea as opposed to any of the big crunch. It just makes more sense to me that the universe will carry on inflating as it always has.

exchemist

Veteran Member

My philosophy is...
Well, I'm alive today,
I have trouble with this. Energy is not stuff. It is a property of physical systems. I do not understand how there can have been, before the big bang, a universe empty of all matter and radiation, because the energy required to form matter and radiation must have been a property of some physical system. What physical system could that be, if there was no matter or radiation. Fields of some kind, perhaps? I wonder if @Polymath257 can comment.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have trouble with this. Energy is not stuff. It is a property of physical systems. I do not understand how there can have been, before the big bang, a universe empty of all matter and radiation, because the energy required to form matter and radiation must have been a property of some physical system. What physical system could that be, if there was no matter or radiation. Fields of some kind, perhaps? I wonder if @Polymath257 can comment.

What about light?
Light has no mass and it can transfer energy without the transference of matter.
Perhaps some thing that existed prior radiated out all of it's energy as light.

Supposedly light photons colliding into each other can create matter.

exchemist

Veteran Member
What about light?
Light has no mass and it can transfer energy without the transference of matter.
Perhaps some thing that existed prior radiated out all of it's energy as light.

Supposedly light photons colliding into each other can create matter.
Light is radiation. The claim is there was no radiation either.

RestlessSoul

Whether the Big Bang describes a physically real event, a boundary condition, or a mathematical abstraction, is very much open to question.

There is no observable evidence that precedes the release of CMBR approximately 400,000 years after the Big Bang, so anything prior to this, including the period of rapid expansion, is entirely in the realm of internally consistent but non-empirical models.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think we have too little information to dare to make any predictions. We don't know the nature of Dark Matter, Dark Energy or Quantum Gravity. Our current models can only extrapolate some billion years into the future all else is pure speculation.

muhammad_isa

Our current models can only extrapolate some billion years into the future all else is pure speculation.
As I understand it, planet earth is unlikely to last more than a few thousand years more.

..but it doesn't make that much difference, as there could be many other worlds "out there", as this physical life is finite, while existence is not.