• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing ChristineM

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A husband and career, all together!

That's the cards life dealt me.

Did you ever see yourself with a "proper right wing oik" at the beginning of your time in college? :D

No, back then i loathed the far right. He was a lesson for me that not all oiks are incapable of being trained.

Looking at all these families, do you think there's any common factors as to which ones are the more loving ones, and which ones the more aloof? Or, all pretty random?

I think personalities have a great deal to do with it. The way the parents were raised moulds their personality.
Or which side of the bed they got out of in the morning.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That's the cards life dealt me.

No, back then i loathed the far right. He was a lesson for me that not all oiks are incapable of being trained.
Trained... How'd you do it? :D

Has either of your political views shifted? If not, how do you make the differences work?
I think personalities have a great deal to do with it. The way the parents were raised moulds their personality.
Or which side of the bed they got out of in the morning.
How do you manage to choose the right side of the bed most days?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Industrial plants are controlled not by guys running up and down the miles of lanes and pipes to specific valves to turn on or off but by Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) or computers housed in a cosy, warm control room. When required to change something out in the plant the operator will call up a schematic diagram onto a screen and operate the valve or tap from there. Our idea was to do away with hundreds of schematic diagrams and replace them with a single 3 dimensional image of the plant. The operator would move through the plant on screen and select an operation as if out in the plant.
Difficult to imagine, so consider say 500 2 dimensional platform game of the 90s, any one can be selected and controlled compared to something like this.
View attachment 88112
Hope that helps.

That is so difficult, it's not something i/we think about, it just is.
We talk, do things together, everyday family things, i don't know what else to say.

Only one way... reality. An atheist (certainly in my case) does not have gods to give emotion/love but does (usually) have people. It upsets me to see people go on and on about how much they love their god(s) while neglecting their spouse and children.
Ever do animated diagrams?
(I'm cadging for free work to display scrap iron mechanisms.)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Trained... How'd you do it? :D

Usual way, whips, torture, love...

Really, i think it's just maturing, views meld.

Has either of your political views shifted? If not, how do you make the differences work?

Yes, his view more than mine. He's gone from so far right his ankles bent that way. Now he's a confused liberal democrat and green. Not much conservative left, i think brexit finally tipped it.
Me, my political compass score hasn't changed much for years, (about dead center of the bottom left square)

How we make differences work, i give him the look (and he stays looked at). Actually... Although never confrontational, over the years they have become less of a different, we accept each other as we are.

How do you manage to choose the right side of the bed most days?

It's just luck most days. Though there are days i could scream.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ever do animated diagrams?
(I'm cadging for free work to display scrap iron mechanisms.)

Of course, valves and taps, hoppers, liquids, tank levels, flow, rotation etc.
But you've had it for the free work, the software stayed with the company and is to expensive to buy as a toy to create freebies

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
What ideals do you hold that you'd like those reading the thread to know?

If you could give any advice to the general RF populace, what would it be?

ChristineM

Premium Member
What ideals do you hold that you'd like those reading the thread to know?

There are some obvious ones i hold dear such as family, honesty, being open minded, creativity.

And some maybe not so up front but always there, patience self control, responsibility,

Probably more but I can't think of anything.

If you could give any advice to the general RF populace, what would it be?

Be true to yourself, be honest and don't be afraid to say "I don't know"

River Sea

Industrial plants are controlled not by guys running up and down the miles of lanes and pipes to specific valves to turn on or off but by Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) or computers housed in a cosy, warm control room. When required to change something out in the plant the operator will call up a schematic diagram onto a screen and operate the valve or tap from there. Our idea was to do away with hundreds of schematic diagrams and replace them with a single 3 dimensional image of the plant. The operator would move through the plant on screen and select an operation as if out in the plant.
Difficult to imagine, so consider say 500 2 dimensional platform game of the 90s, any one can be selected and controlled compared to something like this.
View attachment 88112
Hope that helps.

That is so difficult, it's not something i/we think about, it just is.
We talk, do things together, everyday family things, i don't know what else to say.

Only one way... reality. An atheist (certainly in my case) does not have gods to give emotion/love but does (usually) have people. It upsets me to see people go on and on about how much they love their god(s) while neglecting their spouse and children.

@ChristineM let me see if I understand you

Instead of having hundreds of difficult schematic diagrams, you designed a single 3D schematic diagram that the operator could easily navigate through the industrial plant and take care of the industrial plant from one screen.

Did you only create the 3D schematic diagram, or did you also program the code as well, or did someone else program the code and you only did the 3D schematic diagram?

How did they combine the coding from many diagrams into one?

Did they make another code that told many older codes to do so, then add that code to a 3D schematic diagram?

Is creating a 3D schematic diagram allowed to combine codes into one code, so a code will tell many codes what to do? Or was there no need to combine codes into one code?

Is it only the 3D schematic diagram that makes it easier for the operator, as one can pile a bunch of codes into the 3D schematic diagram, or did the coder combine many codes into one and be able to do so because of the 3D schematic diagram?

If so, then not only did it make it easier for the operator to only need one screen, but it also made it possible to combine codes into an added code, meaning that a 3D schematic diagram allowed for advanced coding on one screen. Does my question make sense?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Instead of having hundreds of difficult schematic diagrams, you designed a single 3D schematic diagram that the operator could easily navigate through the industrial plant and take care of the industrial plant from one screen.

It was generally a 3d representation of the plant, say a multiple layets of schematic but fleshed out to represent the plant.

Did you only create the 3D schematic diagram, or did you also program the code as well, or did someone else program the code and you only did the 3D schematic diagram?

The plants are operated by PLC. We interface with the PLC via computer. Which would send codes equivalent of a series of key presses to operate a piece of equipment. The codes were simple enough, usually using ascii.

How did they combine the coding from many diagrams into one?

Operator j/complex number equations/3d matrices. So rather than x and y of 2 dimensional schematic we worked with x, y and z planes. Where the z is essentially the number of a particular schematic, i.e. the 3rd dimension

Is creating a 3D schematic diagram allowed to combine codes into one code, so a code will tell many codes what to do? Or was there no need to combine codes into one code?

No need, although it could easily be done. We did allow for interlock, i.e. one cannot open a valve fo fill a tank if the tank is already full or closed for maintenance.

Is it only the 3D schematic diagram that makes it easier for the operator, as one can pile a bunch of codes into the 3D schematic diagram, or did the coder combine many codes into one and be able to do so because of the 3D schematic diagram?

See x,y and z

Does my question make sense?

Yes

River Sea

We did allow for interlock, i.e. one cannot open a valve fo fill a tank if the tank is already full or closed for maintenance.

@ChristineM

Continue to ask questions about industrial plants.

Did the many 2D schematic diagrams not at all have interlock, which prevented one from already opening a valve to the full tank, or was the full tank also safe with those many 2D schematic diagrams, so one could not open the valve to a full tank?

Has it ever happened due to the challenges from the many 2D schematic diagrams that it caused to open a valve in an already full tank? Is it dangerous if that happens? How did they clean this area up?

So the code Z was added for interlock to the 3D schematic diagram, so one cannot open a valve to fill an already full tank.

What caused 3D schematic diagrams to need an extra code (z) to solve this interlock compared to the other codes? Is it due to the fact that it can't repeat the interlock code in its layers? How was that impossible to do? What caused that? That needed an extra code Z to solve it.

Did you at first try 3D schematic diagram to repeat for layers of interlock and it didn't work, then realize you needed extra code Z, or did you realize this right away?

What about bad weather? Was there any danger to industrial plants due to the weather? Can the 3D schematic diagram help with these weather challenges?

When you were in the process of creating the 3D schematic diagram, were you ever afraid someone else was also creating this, and was there any pressure to be the first? Or did you feel at ease while creating, knowing there were no fears if others were also creating?

If I mistaken anything please correct me.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Did the many 2D schematic diagrams not at all have interlock,

They did but it was a complicated mechanical process

Has it ever happened due to the challenges from the many 2D schematic diagrams that it caused to open a valve in an already full tank?

I don't know,i suppose it must have happened at some time

Is it dangerous if that happens?

Depends on the contents of the tank, hydrofluoric acid, or phosgene gas (for example) arw deadly

How did they clean this area up?

Dunno

So the code Z was added for interlock to the 3D schematic diagram, so one cannot open a valve to fill an already full tank

No z is the 3rd dimension.

What about bad weather? Was there any danger to industrial plants due to the weather? Can the 3D schematic diagram help with these weather challenges?

The sites are designed to be as protected as possible from bad weather.

No need.

When you were in the process of creating the 3D schematic diagram, were you ever afraid someone else was also creating this, and was there any pressure to be the first?

Business is business, if we accepted a contract then no one else would be in a position to usurp us.

If I mistaken anything please correct me

Only the z dimension

River Sea

The plants are operated by PLC. We interface with the PLC via computer. Which would send codes equivalent of a series of key presses to operate a piece of equipment. The codes were simple enough, usually using ascii.
@ChristineM

ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)

Is there a standard code for other countries too, or did all other countries use ascii American standard code?

ChristineM

Premium Member
@ChristineM

ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)

Is there a standard code for other countries too, or did all other countries use ascii American standard code?

ASCII is the standard worldwide though in some cases custom codes are used.