• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview with Booko discussion

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I always enjoy learning about how people arrived at their particular faith and some of the things that interest them away from the computer.
:clap Very nicely done!
Oh, the mention of Sunstone's special friend was epic.:run:

lunamoth

Will to love
Thank you for the interview Maize and Booko. Booko I'm amazed at how similar we are in so many ways. I also love gardening, although right now I am busy raising kids instead of flowers. Also have have to learn about gardening with limited water here in CO.

Best wishes,
lun

Buttercup

Veteran Member
First I'd like to say to Booko:

"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"

And then I was wondering if we can ask further questions. If so, I would like to ask a question I often ask people I don't know well.....

What has been the funnest job you've had and include any related escapades or reason/s why you enjoyed the job so much. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
CaptainXeroid said:
Oh, the mention of Sunstone's special friend was epic.:run:
What can I say? That's what happens to my brain cells when I'm typing late at night. Did anyone seriously think I could choose just one of you to meet? :rolleyes:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
First I'd like to say to Booko:

"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

And then I was wondering if we can ask further questions. If so, I would like to ask a question I often ask people I don't know well.....

What has been the funnest job you've had and include any related escapades or reason/s why you enjoyed the job so much. :)

There are two jobs that I'd call most fun. The first is, when I was young I used to work in a library. One of my jobs was to go through the mouldy old stuff in the basement that was very interesting, but quite forgotten. That's a dangerous place to leave someone like me! Also I used to help the Reference Librarian with research -- also a blast.

Funny story from the library job: They used to put all the SF in the Young Adult section, because of course there is not *serious* fiction in SF, as opposed to, say...romances. :biglaugh: So one day I brought some returned books to that section and was talking with the YA librarian, and mentioned that it was kinda strange they would put all this stuff here automatically, just because of the genre. In the course of the discussion, I asked if anyone read the books to see if they were age-appropriate, and he asked -- well how would they not be? So I plucked out the copy of Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love" and flipped to the section where the time-traveling protagonist is having an incestuous threesome with his future granddaughters. :eek: He turned very red and thanked me for bringing it to his attention. The next day the head librarian gave me the assignment of pulling books out of the YA section that were not appropriate for the youngins'.

My other best job is the one I have right now -- garden design. My business partner and I get along well, and I enjoy anything that is both a science and an art. Due to my mom's incorrect ideas about what kids are "supposed" to be doing artistically, I left that part of life behind mostly, and now get to rediscover that intuitive and artistic side by working with design elements of color, textures, and form. It's great stuff to go into an area and create something that you know will be beautiful year round. I start all designs with winter in mind first.

My partner loves it because her mum never let her get dirty as a kid. Now we make mudpies and get paid to do it. Hurrah!

Oh yeah, I taught chemistry at university for a while also. It was always amusing to show up for lab sections dressed in my motorcycle leathers, plop my helmet down on the counter, and proceed to explain the mysteries of acid-base titration. That was a fun job.

Not fun jobs: anything in corporate America, but hey, it pays the bills.

Booko

Deviled Hen
lunamoth said:
Thank you for the interview Maize and Booko. Booko I'm amazed at how similar we are in so many ways. I also love gardening, although right now I am busy raising kids instead of flowers. Also have have to learn about gardening with limited water here in CO.

I thought as much from some of the exchanges we've had previously.

Gardening will come in time. You can put the kids to work and have fun letting them get dirty. Be sure to let them water the plants and each other, and then they think it's just great fun. :)

I do a lot of xeriscaping in my plans, since Atlanta does have periods of drought, clients don't know enough to water stuff, and sometimes we have watering restrictions. I don't think it's as extreme as it is by you, though, because our humidity means we always get a decent dewfall.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Oh please, just sing this once along with me:

We're knights of the round table, we dance whene're we're able.
We do routines, and border scenes, and footwork imp-e-cable;

We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spamalot.

We're knights of the round table, our shows are for-mid-able
The many times, we're given rhymes, that are quite un-sing-able
We're often mad in Camelot, we sing from the lie of hamalot!

Though we're tough and able,
Quite in-de-fa-ti-gable,
Between our quests, we seek incest and impersonate Clark Gable,
It's a busy life in Camelot.

My other best job is the one I have right now -- garden design. My business partner and I get along well, and I enjoy anything that is both a science and an art. Due to my mom's incorrect ideas about what kids are "supposed" to be doing artistically, I left that part of life behind mostly, and now get to rediscover that intuitive and artistic side by working with design elements of color, textures, and form. It's great stuff to go into an area and create something that you know will be beautiful year round. I start all designs with winter in mind first.
Sounds like great fun! I am envious and it's wonderful to have a job that makes you happy. :) You've done some interesting work! Thanks for sharing.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Oh please, just sing this once along with me:

We're knights of the round table, we dance whene're we're able.
We do routines, and border scenes, and footwork imp-e-cable;

We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spamalot.

We're knights of the round table, our shows are for-mid-able
The many times, we're given rhymes, that are quite un-sing-able
We're often mad in Camelot, we sing from the lie of hamalot!

Though we're tough and able,
Quite in-de-fa-ti-gable,
Between our quests, we seek incest and impersonate Clark Gable,
It's a busy life in Camelot.

I get to push the pram a lot!

Sounds like great fun! I am envious and it's wonderful to have a job that makes you happy. :) You've done some interesting work! Thanks for sharing.

For those of you who have sucky jobs, it's really easy to say, but keep this in mind -- everyone should have at least one sucky job, because then you'll know and appreciate a good one when you have it.

Someone told me this years ago and I thought they were nuts too -- and it's absolutely true.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Booko said:
I get to push the pram a lot!

Alright. I'm done testing you......you are most definitely a Monty Python Holy Grail fan! Hee. :D

For those of you who have sucky jobs, it's really easy to say, but keep this in mind -- everyone should have at least one sucky job, because then you'll know and appreciate a good one when you have it.
Someone told me this years ago and I thought they were nuts too -- and it's absolutely true.
Very true and can be applied to lots of other lessons in life.....like first husbands. ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Buttercup said:
Alright. I'm done testing you......you are most definitely a Monty Python Holy Grail fan! Hee. :D

You should see the kids...they're even worse, if that's possible.

Very true and can be applied to lots of other lessons in life.....like first husbands. ;)

I've been very lucky in that regard, but I've heard from friends of mine that their first spouses were very...um....educational in terms of what they could make work in a relationship.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
This was very cool Booko. I enjoyed it. I was able to learn a little bit about your religion. I really don't know much outside of Christianity, since that's how I've been raised. Right now I'm kind of trying to find something that's a little more "me", which is part of the reason I am here. But I really don't know where to start. Since you went through the same thing, do you think you have any suggestions as to how I might broaden my knowledge of other religions?

Booko

Deviled Hen
zombieharlot said:
This was very cool Booko. I enjoyed it. I was able to learn a little bit about your religion. I really don't know much outside of Christianity, since that's how I've been raised. Right now I'm kind of trying to find something that's a little more "me", which is part of the reason I am here. But I really don't know where to start. Since you went through the same thing, do you think you have any suggestions as to how I might broaden my knowledge of other religions?

Being the bookish sort, I resorted to reading books, especially the primary texts. haha, actually I wasn't looking for something that was a little more "me" as I was an atheist at the time. :)

But I think there's quite an advantage here, in that you can find real people who really practice their religion to talk too.

What kinds of things were you looking for in a religion? A sense of community? Some structure for your life? Connection with the divine or nature? What you end up with will depend on what's important in your life. I won't shade the truth, ZH, you will have a difficult time with most of the "major" religions, but you probably already know that anyway. :hug:

Ultimately, search until you find what it is that you believe to be true. You may not like everything about whatever religion you find (hey, I don't), but who ever gets everything their way? And be patient and persistent. It could take years, even a lifetime, but look under every rock you can find. What you need is out there.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
Booko said:
Being the bookish sort, I resorted to reading books, especially the primary texts. haha, actually I wasn't looking for something that was a little more "me" as I was an atheist at the time. :)

But I think there's quite an advantage here, in that you can find real people who really practice their religion to talk too.

What kinds of things were you looking for in a religion? A sense of community? Some structure for your life? Connection with the divine or nature? What you end up with will depend on what's important in your life. I won't shade the truth, ZH, you will have a difficult time with most of the "major" religions, but you probably already know that anyway. :hug:

Ultimately, search until you find what it is that you believe to be true. You may not like everything about whatever religion you find (hey, I don't), but who ever gets everything their way? And be patient and persistent. It could take years, even a lifetime, but look under every rock you can find. What you need is out there.

Thanks Booko. I honestly am not really even sure myself what I am looking for. I'm honestly kind of turned off by the thought of religion, but at the same time I'm insecure because of it. Part of me seems to push it away while another part of me wants to seek it out. I am distraught with ambivalence. I'm not sure you needed to hear all of that, but yeh. I just need to find my place, I guess. Thanks again!:)