• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intertestamental Period

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
True, they have included some here some there, with the pertinent clarifications, in case you have not checked it.
I'm not sure what you mean.

If you want to respond to me, please quote me otherwise I don't know you've responded.

Eli G

You can find some non-canonical (OT or NT) books in some versions of the Bible, but the editors include the notes about those non-canonical books. That is why we are certain about which are, and which are not ...

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can find some non-canonical (OT or NT) books in some versions of the Bible, but the editors include the notes about those non-canonical books. That is why we are certain about which are, and which are not ...
No, these books are in all Catholic Bibles. The Catholic canon necessarily includes them. You won't find a Catholic Bible without these books. Pre-Reformation everyone knew about them and considered them scripture. It's the Reformers who have to justify taking them out.

Eli G

Mmmh, no. There is not any Catholic canon.

The Catholic Church reaffirmed the books that WERE ALREADY RECOGNIZED as inspired since the early 2nd century, and they sort of took it upon themselves to put the collection together... but they didn't decide which book was canonical or not.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Mmmh, no. There is not any Catholic canon.

The Catholic Church reaffirmed the books that WERE ALREADY RECOGNIZED as inspired since the early 2nd century, and they sort of took it upon themselves to put the collection together... but they didn't decide which book was canonical or not.
So who do you believe ordered the Western/Roman Catholic Christian Canon?

The books that are not in the Protestant Bible (Tobit, Judith, 1 and 2 Mac, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch) are in the Catholic Bible. The Protestants took them out. They were and are recognised as canonical by the Roman Catholic Church and always have been. It's the Protestants who changed that and don't include them in their Bibles.

Last edited:

Eli G

So who do you believe ordered the Western/Roman Catholic Christian Canon?

The books that are not in the Protestant Bible (Tobit, Judith, 1 and 2 Mac, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch) are in the Catholic Bible. The Protestants took them out. They were and are recognised as canonical by the Roman Catholic Church and always have been. It's the Protestants who changed that and don't include them in their Bibles.
To order is not to decide the canon of inspired books. This thread is not about who ordered the books, but about which ones were canonical.

Besides that: it was GOD through His spirit who inspired the books, and for the rest, no man has anything to do with it.

Actually, the Catholic Church appeared on the scene many years after the canonical books had come into existence and were already circulating.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To order is not to decide the canon of inspired books. This thread is not about who order the books, but about which one were canonical.

Besides that: it was GOD through His spirit who inspired the books, and for the rest, no man has anything to do with it.

Actually, Catholic Church appeared in the scene many years after all canonical books came to exist.
Yes, the books were written before the Catholic Church existed. The Church took it upon itself to decide which to include in the Biblical canon. The Christian Canon doesn't match the Jewish Bible in the OT.

What is your position on this?

Eli G

No, the Church didn't decide a thing ... It just took what was already known and made the collection. That's it.

It is similar to what happens with Mathematics: some believe that mathematical principles and laws are not inventions, but discoveries. There is a great diference among both things.

Last edited:

Eli G

(...) The Christian Canon doesn't match the Jewish Bible in the OT.

What is your position on this?
About that, I disagree and I already told you the reasons why ...

The same books that Jews believed to be canonical in the First century and before, are in the OT in the modern versions of the Bible... all the 39 books we have today were there before Jesus was born, maybe other order, some together, with diferent names, etc, but the same books we have today.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
About that, I disagree and I already told you the reasons why ...

The same books that Jews believed to be canonical in the First century and before, are in the OT in the modern versions of the Bible... all the 37 books we have today were there before Jesus was born, maybe other order, some together, with diferent names, etc, but the same books we have today.
There was no Jewish Canon in the first century ce. But yes, the Church includes all those books and more.

Eli G

So let's go with that.

You accept Maccabees as canon? You should, given your above statement.
No. Not even Jews do.

Jews had a lot of books of that time. They know that those books are non-canonical. They know the difference, why don't you ask them?

Do your homework before posting anything else.

We'll continue the dialog some other moment. Thanks for your time.

PD: It is funny that you believe that Catholic Church has anything to do with the Hebrew-Aramaic canon of the Scriptures. Who gave them that authority?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No. Not even Jews do.

Jews had a lot of books of that time. They know that those books are non-canonical. They know the difference, why don't you ask them?

Do your homework before posting anything else.

We'll continue the dialog some other moment. Thanks for your time.
That's why diaspora Jews included those books in their collections, right? Why they had the books of Maccabees and others?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
PD: It is funny that you believe that Catholic Church has anything to do with the Hebrew-Aramaic canon of the Scriptures. Who gave them that authority?
They believe these books are divinely inspired. Christianity is a different religion to Judaism, why should it have the same books? On what authority do they include the Gospels? After all, the Jews don't include them.

KW

I never notice much reference about this time period, but I would think it lends importance to both Jews and Christians.

The Intertestamental period refers to the years intervening between the closing of the OT canon(ca. 400–165BC and the composition of the NT (ca. AD 48-95)

Many scholars prefer to designate the era as the Second Temple period+ spanning the years from 58BC the destruction of the -first Temple down to the destruction of the second Temple in AD70 and its aftermath in the Bar Kochba Revolt of AD 132-135.

The importance of this era can scarcely be overemphasized for an in depth study of the NT because the roots of Christianity reach back into this formative period and significantly conditions meaning. since second Temple Judaism itself is rooted in the ancestral faith of Israel as enshrined in the Hebrew Bible. Hebraic thought is the matrix out of which the message of the NT emerges.
(DOC) Intertestamental History | Larry Helyer - Academia.edu

There are books of the bible in that period that protestants removed.