• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interpretation... Or God's View

nPeace

Veteran Member
You too offer your own interpretation of scripture. There is no such thing as scripture without interpretation.
You can prove that? No you can't.
Have you been following the thread? Seems you haven't.
Will I be repeating? No I won't.

So you can do one thing. Provide one scripture you know I have interpreted.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Despite the fact that I pointed out to you that factually, an explanation does not need interpreting, you return with such a claim.
I don't need to agree to claims.
I agree with something shown to be factual, or at the least reasonable.
Your claim here is neither factual, nor reasonable, so I don't think any sensible person will understand that.

If something is not clear, or there is no explanation given, then one may see the need to interpret, which may not be the correct interpretation.
Many of the things presented to you, in scripture, are clear. They are explained, and yet, you see the need to turn it into allegory.
If the Bible interprets itself, why are there so many online interpretations of verses by Christians?

ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Any sensible person would realize that everything that is written is read and requires interpreting.

Why Do We Have to Interpret the Bible?

Can’t we just take the Bible for what it says? Isn’t it plain enough? Do we really need others to help us interpret the Bible?

The Bible itself teaches that we need others to help us comprehend its message correctly. For example, the disciples of Jesus needed his guidance to comprehend the meaning of the Scriptures.

Dear (friend), your question is an important one and also one that could take a book to answer, but a modest email will have to do. Thanks for asking and for paying me the compliment that I might have some sort of answer to offer.

All Communication Involves Interpretation

First I would say that all communication involves interpretation. As we read each other’s emails we are interpreting what the other is saying. Sometimes we are accurate and sometimes we may misunderstand each other. Speaking the same language and having the same cultural background helps in the communication process. Still, as I read your email (and you mine) because it is written communication, we must discern things that would be more easily communicated face to face. For example, when communicating face to face, I can see your facial expressions, your hand gestures, and I can tell a lot by your tone of voice as to what you mean. As I write this you can’t see those things. You only have the written word, so you have to decide from the language whether I am speaking with a kind considerate tone, or whether I am being condescending or sarcastic etc. That process is interpretation. It is possible that even with the best of intentions you and I may misunderstand each other. You might be positive I’m saying one thing, when in fact, I’m intending to say something different. It is only through the communication process–the give and take–that we finally come to a true interpretation of what the other meant. Because the Bible is a written document, this not only makes interpretation necessary, it also makes it more challenging!
Exactly what I said. You interpret the Bible based on your believe in what Bahaullah said, because you believe Bahaullah to be infallible.
You might as well leave the Bible out. That would make more sense to me.
You cannot even admit that you are the pot calling the kettle black.

Exactly what I said on the other thread. You interpret the Bible based on what Christianity teaches, because you are a Christian.

At least be honest. There can be no honest discussion with someone who won't t least admit what they are doing.

nPeace

Veteran Member
If the Bible interprets itself, why are there so many online interpretations of verses by Christians?

ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Any sensible person would realize that everything that is written is read and requires interpreting.

Why Do We Have to Interpret the Bible?

Can’t we just take the Bible for what it says? Isn’t it plain enough? Do we really need others to help us interpret the Bible?

The Bible itself teaches that we need others to help us comprehend its message correctly. For example, the disciples of Jesus needed his guidance to comprehend the meaning of the Scriptures.

Dear (friend), your question is an important one and also one that could take a book to answer, but a modest email will have to do. Thanks for asking and for paying me the compliment that I might have some sort of answer to offer.

All Communication Involves Interpretation

First I would say that all communication involves interpretation. As we read each other’s emails we are interpreting what the other is saying. Sometimes we are accurate and sometimes we may misunderstand each other. Speaking the same language and having the same cultural background helps in the communication process. Still, as I read your email (and you mine) because it is written communication, we must discern things that would be more easily communicated face to face. For example, when communicating face to face, I can see your facial expressions, your hand gestures, and I can tell a lot by your tone of voice as to what you mean. As I write this you can’t see those things. You only have the written word, so you have to decide from the language whether I am speaking with a kind considerate tone, or whether I am being condescending or sarcastic etc. That process is interpretation. It is possible that even with the best of intentions you and I may misunderstand each other. You might be positive I’m saying one thing, when in fact, I’m intending to say something different. It is only through the communication process–the give and take–that we finally come to a true interpretation of what the other meant. Because the Bible is a written document, this not only makes interpretation necessary, it also makes it more challenging!

You cannot even admit that you are the pot calling the kettle black.

Exactly what I said on the other thread. You interpret the Bible based on what Christianity teaches, because you are a Christian.

At least be honest. There can be no honest discussion with someone who won't t least admit what they are doing.
Are you okay Trailblazer? Are you upset? Are you listening? Do you want me to say what you want? :shrug:

nPeace

Veteran Member
@Trailblazer you said this is not the case.
You said some thing are plain.
Another contradictory statement.
So it is clear you are just saying anything you feel to say.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Are you okay Trailblazer? Are you upset? Are you listening? Do you want me to say what you want? :shrug:
Why can't you just answer my question? Do you want me to say what you want?

ANSWER THE QUESTION.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Trailblazer you said this is not the case.
You said some thing are plain.
Another contradictory statement.
So it is clear you are just saying anything you feel to say.
Even things that are plain require interpreting.

What do these verses mean?

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

To me they are plain and they mean that Jesus had finished the work that God gave Him to do and Jesus will not be in the world again, so why do most Christians believe Jesus is going to return to the world again and do more work?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why can't you just answer my question? Do you want me to say what you want?

ANSWER THE QUESTION.
I answered your question, and something is wrong here. You seem erratic, and upset at the same time.
You are not understanding anything I say.

First, you keep repeating this other Christian thing, and you never answered my question about the definition of Christian you gave.
Second, when I answer you, it's as though I said nothing.

So something is wrong here.
I want you to calm down, so it's over and out for me.
Take care.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Even things that are plain require interpreting.

What do these verses mean?

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

To me they are plain and they mean that Jesus had finished the work that God gave Him to do and Jesus will not be in the world again, so why do most Christians believe Jesus is going to return to the world again and do more work?
We've been there ... done that.
Bye Bye.
Red signals danger. Take care.
sign0190.gif

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I answered your question, and something is wrong here. You seem erratic, and upset at the same time.
You are not understanding anything I say.

First, you keep repeating this other Christian thing, and you never answered my question about the definition of Christian you gave.
Second, when I answer you, it's as though I said nothing.

So something is wrong here.
I want you to calm down, so it's over and out for me.
Take care.
I do not have to calm down because I am not upset.

I understood everything you said and I acknowledged it, but I disagreed.

Do you expect me to agree with everything you say just because you say it?

I did answer your question bout the definition of Christian I gave, I said a Christian is someone who believes in Jesus and that was my own definition.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You never addressed anything I asked, thus the red.
Bye.
I did Trailblazer. I did.
Did you not understand when I said we went through that before, and I saw no need to repeat it. Did you not understand. It was not written in Japanese Trailblazer.
How could you not understand it. I said it twice.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I did Trailblazer. I did.
Did you not understand when I said we went through that before, and I saw no need to repeat it. Did you not understand. It was not written in Japanese Trailblazer.
How could you not understand it. I said it twice.
No, you did not. Several times I asked you about the following verses and why in spite of them Christians believe that Jesus is coming back to the world to do more work, and you never answered.

(John 14:19, John 17:4, John 17:11, John 19:30, John 18:36)

You never even acknowledged what I said.
If you responded to what I asked you would have a post proving it, but you don't.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You can prove that? No you can't.
Have you been following the thread? Seems you haven't.
Will I be repeating? No I won't.

So you can do one thing. Provide one scripture you know I have interpreted.
I am making a blanket statement. We cannot read anything, including the Bible, without interpreting it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I am making a blanket statement. We cannot read anything, including the Bible, without interpreting it.
Why make a blanked statement of madness? Does madness trump fact?

If such a blanket statement were true, the interpreter's words must be interpreted, and the interpreted words of the interpreter who interpreted the interpreter's words, must also be interpreted. :dizzy: Get the picture?

If we appreciate however, that the Bible is it's own interpreter, in that explanations to what is said, is found elsewhere in the Bible, and what it says is indeed what it means in other places, we have the complete package... as stated at 2 Timothy 3:16, 17
16All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.
You'll notice it says, All, not some.

Either these words are true, or they are false. They can't be both true and false.
Your job then, if you believe they are false, is to prove they are.
If they are true, then your beliefs, claims, and opinions are all false, when you say we need to interpret interpretations, or explanations. Madness.
The Bible explains itself. You protest, "But that can't be."

The truth is, that's the way it is.
The Bible was written by some forty men. So the words said by one person, are often explained by another. The words said by one person, are interpreted by another.
Example ...
(Nehemiah 8:5-8, 13) 5 And Ezʹra proceeded to open the book before the eyes of all the people, for he happened to be above all the people; and as he opened it all the people stood up. 6 Then Ezʹra blessed Jehovah the [true] God, the great One, at which all the people answered, “Amen! Amen!” with the lifting up of their hands. They then bowed low and prostrated themselves to Jehovah with [their] faces to the earth. 7 And Jeshʹu·a and Baʹni and She·re·biʹah, Jaʹmin, Akʹkub, Shabʹbe·thai, Ho·diʹah, Ma·a·seiʹah, Ke·liʹta, Az·a·riʹah, Joʹza·bad, Haʹnan, Pe·laʹiah, even the Levites, were explaining the law to the people, while the people were in a standing position. 8 And they continued reading aloud from the book, from the law of the [true] God, it being expounded, and there being a putting of meaning [into it] (gave the sense); and they continued giving understanding in (caused to understand) the reading.
13 And on the second day the heads of the fathers of all the people, the priests and the Levites, gathered themselves together to Ezʹra the copyist, even to gain insight into the words of the law.

Here we see the words of Moses being explained / interpreted by the Levites.

Consider another example...
(Luke 24:27) And starting with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them things pertaining to himself in all the Scriptures.
Jesus interpreted what was written by Moses and the Prophet. So reading Jesus' words, we have the interpretation - the explanation.
To claim you now need to interpret Jesus' words, is madness, yes. Would we not then need to interpret your words? Pure madness.

Who interprets Jesus' words. Often, it was Jesus himself who explained his own words (for example Matthew 13). His followers too, later explains Jesus' words, and these were written down.
Do we need to interpret their interpretation? Madness. Isn't it.

In the case of the revelation by John, we often have the angel explaining, but not always.
So what do we do here? Who will interpret, or explain? Would that not be the Christian congregation which has the backing of God's holy spirit?

So. it is clear to me that persons are really using the interpretation argument, in an attempt to undermine the Bible's authority in teaching, reproving, setting things straight, disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

nPeace

Veteran Member
No, you did not. Several times I asked you about the following verses and why in spite of them Christians believe that Jesus is coming back to the world to do more work, and you never answered.

(John 14:19, John 17:4, John 17:11, John 19:30, John 18:36)

You never even acknowledged what I said.
If you responded to what I asked you would have a post proving it, but you don't.
No Christian believes what you are claiming here. None.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Where do you live, in a cave?
Almost all Christians believe that Jesus is coming back to the world to do more work, to build the Kingdom of God.

Oh right. You are going by your definition of Christian.
As I said, no Christian believes what you claimed. None.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Where do you live, in a cave?
Almost all Christians believe that Jesus is coming back to the world to do more work, to build the Kingdom of God.

Also. I looked at the words of that song, and nowhere does it say Jesus is coming back to earth to do work. So it seems you are interpreting the words of people to mean what you want them to say.
The words I see there are in harmony with scripture. Jesus promised to return for the remaining ones of his church.
That's what these people are singing.