• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet on/off?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Airplane mode does this for WiFi, but is there anything out there that might do this for a wired connection apart from physically pulling the cable out - like a toggle on the Taskbar (Windows 10 laptop)?

The reason I want such is that I do tend to disconnect before switching on and often do so at times when not using the computer. The result is that the plug gets worn and eventually fails to click into place so that I have to buy a new cable regularly.

I know one can go into Settings and disconnect the Ethernet device, but I would like a simple toggle on the Taskbar, as it is also a safety feature. I have an app that shows the amount being downloaded and uploaded, and if any activity is suspicious then I will disconnect.

So is there either an app out there somewhere or can a shortcut be made to do this?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Airplane mode does this for WiFi, but is there anything out there that might do this for a wired connection apart from physically pulling the cable out - like a toggle on the Taskbar (Windows 10 laptop)?

The reason I want such is that I do tend to disconnect before switching on and often do so at times when not using the computer. The result is that the plug gets worn and eventually fails to click into place so that I have to buy a new cable regularly.

I know one can go into Settings and disconnect the Ethernet device, but I would like a simple toggle on the Taskbar, as it is also a safety feature. I have an app that shows the amount being downloaded and uploaded, and if any activity is suspicious then I will disconnect.

So is there either an app out there somewhere or can a shortcut be made to do this?
Dunno about you, but I just pull the internet cable. *grin*

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Make a desktop (or taskbar) shortcut of the connection you want to disable/enable by following the steps below. That way you won't have to go through a bunch of folders every time you want to change connection settings.
  1. Open the Control Panel.
  2. Go to Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Click on the Change adapter settings link.
  4. Click on the folder icon in the address bar and drag and drop it to your desktop.
Now you can simply open the shortcut and click "Disable"/"Enable" every time you want to turn the connection off or on.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Make a desktop (or taskbar) shortcut of the connection you want to disable/enable by following the steps below. That way you won't have to go through a bunch of folders every time you want to change connection settings.
  1. Open the Control Panel.
  2. Go to Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Click on the Change adapter settings link.
  4. Click on the folder icon in the address bar and drag and drop it to your desktop.
Now you can simply open the shortcut and click "Disable"/"Enable" every time you want to turn the connection off or on.
I thought there would be something like this but I'd still like a one-click solution, if available - one click, green, second click, red - type of thing. Thanks. :D

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Capture.JPG
https://www.amazon.com/Internet-CUT-OFF-Kill-Switch/dp/B00RQVFHZ4

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Internet Off - Internet Blocking App for Windows

Internet Off, haven't tried it but it's free.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
That's another option I suppose. Just surprised there isn't something as I would like, but perhaps more are using WiFi now anyway, and not using laptops and such so much. :oops:
I do not trust software to block the internet connection.
The only way for me to be sure I am actually disconnected is to actually disconnect.
Now if the switch I linked to above fails, I will go back to unplugging.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I do not trust software to block the internet connection.
The only way for me to be sure I am actually disconnected is to actually disconnect.
Now if the switch I linked to above fails, I will go back to unplugging.
Well, from some searching, it does appear that any software solution might not be completely safe - different levels of data access, etc. - so perhaps a wired switch is the safest option. I wonder if this was deliberate design. I will probably try the software options first though. :oops: