• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting find

Came across this article recently, as well as a couple previous ones like it: https://www.npr.org/2024/01/24/1226...s-are-now-the-largest-single-group-in-the-u-s

Agnostics, atheists and religious nones. Interestingly enough, this part sticks out to me: "
Religious ‘nones’ are people who describe themselves as atheist, agnostic or ‘nothing in particular’ when asked about their religious affiliation in our surveys,” Pew’s report explains.

Among the 28% of U.S. adults who fall into the broad category of nones, 17% identify as atheists, 20% as agnostics and 63% as “nothing in particular,” Pew found.

Once you know that only 17% of nones identify as atheists, it’s easier to understand the overall group’s feelings about God.

Fully 7 in 10 nones say they believe in God or a higher power and 63% believe there’s something spiritual beyond the natural world, according to the survey."

So I would assume this would imply that many religious nones, or even agnostics, are leaning towards something like Deism, or Pantheism, or something else undefined altogether.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Came across this article recently, as well as a couple previous ones like it: https://www.npr.org/2024/01/24/1226...s-are-now-the-largest-single-group-in-the-u-s

Agnostics, atheists and religious nones. Interestingly enough, this part sticks out to me: "
Religious ‘nones’ are people who describe themselves as atheist, agnostic or ‘nothing in particular’ when asked about their religious affiliation in our surveys,” Pew’s report explains.

Among the 28% of U.S. adults who fall into the broad category of nones, 17% identify as atheists, 20% as agnostics and 63% as “nothing in particular,” Pew found.

Once you know that only 17% of nones identify as atheists, it’s easier to understand the overall group’s feelings about God.

Fully 7 in 10 nones say they believe in God or a higher power and 63% believe there’s something spiritual beyond the natural world, according to the survey."

So I would assume this would imply that many religious nones, or even agnostics, are leaning towards something like Deism, or Pantheism, or something else undefined altogether.
That would make one a theist if they believe in spiritual or higher powers.

Not an atheist, that's for sure.

Theists generally believe that god interacts in the universe, from what I've read.

"belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures."

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It's certainly not atheistic.

It depends if power is the same as god if for atheist:
a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods.
The key part here being god or gods.

In fact you can be an atheist and religious. The common one is at least some Buddhists.

Twilight Hue

It depends if power is the same as god if for atheist:
a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods.
The key part here being god or gods.

In fact you can be an atheist and religious. The common one is at least some Buddhists.
You failed to notice "beyond the natural world" in the op.

That would be theistic belief.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Abrahamic religions will supply more than enough information for you.

No, please look up the defintion of theistic. And find the one about magic being.

I get that you are subjective and using your bias. But you are not the source of general understanding and neither am I. Hence please reference more than your private subjective thoughts.

Twilight Hue

No, please look up the defintion of theistic. And find the one about magic being.

I get that you are subjective and using your bias. But you are not the source of general understanding and neither am I. Hence please reference more than your private subjective thoughts.
Sorry. Your not talking about anything natural but supernatural.

None of what the formal definition shows is conducent with any type of natural phenomenon or being.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Sorry. Your not talking about anything natural but supernatural.

None of what the formal definition shows is conducent with any type of natural phenomenon or being.

"belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world"
That is not all versions of supernatural as for spiritual and supernatural powers.
Theistic is a subset of that.