• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inspirations From The Adam & Eve Story

JesusBeliever

Hi all,

Was thinking about the Adam & Eve Story tonight and a few things occurred to me about that story that I hadn't noticed before. I noticed that the Lord still called to Adam after they had sinned, and He didn't cut them off and stop talking to them. It says that they both heard the voice of the Lord and they hid from Him, not the other way around. Did the Lord not already know what they had done? The Scriptures tell us that He had to have known because everything is naked before Him and that even in the dark of night it is like midday to Him...and yet He still called for them. You will see the same is true of Cain. It was Cain who said, "from thy face I shall be hid" and yet the Lord was talking to Him at that very moment.

Makes me wonder, is it us who have been trying to hide from God all this time?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Hi all,

Was thinking about the Adam & Eve Story tonight and a few things occurred to me about that story that I hadn't noticed before. I noticed that the Lord still called to Adam after they had sinned, and He didn't cut them off and stop talking to them. It says that they both heard the voice of the Lord and they hid from Him, not the other way around. Did the Lord not already know what they had done? The Scriptures tell us that He had to have known because everything is naked before Him and that even in the dark of night it is like midday to Him...and yet He still called for them. You will see the same is true of Cain. It was Cain who said, "from thy face I shall be hid" and yet the Lord was talking to Him at that very moment.

Yes.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Personally, I am not hiding from God at all. I would love nothing more than a shred of contact. But I have never been so blessed.
I've never even heard of anyone who has. At least, nobody who has had such contact in a way that can be distinguished from delusions of grandeur or hallucinations.

So I have drawn the conclusion, utterly based on facts, that there is no god who cares enough about what I believe or do to say what that is.
Tom

David1967

Premium Member
Personally, I am not hiding from God at all. I would love nothing more than a shred of contact. But I have never been so blessed.
I've never even heard of anyone who has. At least, nobody who has had such contact in a way that can be distinguished from delusions of grandeur or hallucinations.

So I have drawn the conclusion, utterly based on facts, that there is no god who cares enough about what I believe or do to say what that is.
Tom

I'm with you on your first point. I sure hope your wrong on your last one.

JesusBeliever

I had a rough night last night. For some unexplainable reason I was really really scared. So much so that I struggled to go to sleep. No matter how much I thought on the Lord and prayed I couldn't shake it. And being the last thing I did when I went to bed, I wondered if I had made a mistake in starting this thread. So I got up to try and delete it, along with everything else I had written on here but discovered I couldn't. I felt better from just having tried, but there was still a touch of fear there when I returned to bed. I eventually fell asleep and awoke this morning wondering what the heck was that all about. Again I started thinking about what I had written above, and was reminded of the story of when God appeared to the children of Israel in the wilderness. They were so terrified they said to Moses,

"And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not. And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was. And the LORD said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven." Exodus 20:19-22

And I have to admit that if the fear they felt was anything like I felt last night, I too would have been standing afar off from God saying the same thing. There's a verse in the NT that says:

"And we have known and believed the love that God has in us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. In this is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment, that as He is, so also we are in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has torment. He who fears has not been perfected in love." 1 John 4:16-18

Again, if God's coming was anything like I felt last night, I definitely won't have boldness in the day of judgment. No matter how much I tried to tell myself that "God is love, God is love!" I couldn't shake the fear I felt in my heart. According to this verse, it's coz I haven't been perfected in love.

rusra02

Premium Member
Hi all,

I believe Jehovah certainly knew that Adam had sinned. His speaking to Adam was to bring the wrongdoers to justice, establish the facts, and render judgment. This God did, condemning all three for their evil deed. For the same reason Jehovah confronted the murderer Cain.

JesusBeliever

I believe Jehovah certainly knew that Adam had sinned. His speaking to Adam was to bring the wrongdoers to justice, establish the facts, and render judgment. This God did, condemning all three for their evil deed. For the same reason Jehovah confronted the murderer Cain.
Hi Rusra, please clarify are you suggesting that He had no further contact with them after rendering His judgment? If so, I find this hard to believe, seeing that He appeared to Moses after having murdered an Egyptian man.

rusra02

Premium Member
Hi Rusra, please clarify are you suggesting that He had no further contact with them after rendering His judgment? If so, I find this hard to believe, seeing that He appeared to Moses after having murdered an Egyptian man.
The Bible does not record any further communication God had with Adam or Eve. It does mention his dealings with their children Cain and Abel. Since the Bible does not reveal whether God spoke further to Adam and Eve, I don't think we can be sure either way. When Moses struck down the Egyptian, he was defending a fellow Israelite. (Exodus 2:11,12) God did not condemn Moses for this act.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Hi all,

I see it as a profound realization you are touching upon. Especially considering the idea that one is trying to hide in plain sight.

Though I don't think Genesis 3 is good for such a realization because the deity I find reason to question as even being a deity, for reasons you've brought up and for what is explicit in Genesis 2.

whirlingmerc

Death entered the world because of Adam's sin and the ground was cursed to bear thornes
and Jesus would enter death and wear a crown of thorns. Christ is in all the stories of scripture.

JesusBeliever

I see it as a profound realization you are touching upon. Especially considering the idea that one is trying to hide in plain sight.

Though I don't think Genesis 3 is good for such a realization because the deity I find reason to question as even being a deity, for reasons you've brought up and for what is explicit in Genesis 2.
Hi there, can you expand on your thoughts a bit more coz I'm not very familiar with the word deity so am unsure of what you are saying?

JesusBeliever

The Bible does not record any further communication God had with Adam or Eve. It does mention his dealings with their children Cain and Abel. Since the Bible does not reveal whether God spoke further to Adam and Eve, I don't think we can be sure either way. When Moses struck down the Egyptian, he was defending a fellow Israelite. (Exodus 2:11,12) God did not condemn Moses for this act.
Yes you're right, God didn't condemn Moses. And that's what I'm also inclined to think about Adam and Eve despite it not telling us explicitly. I agree that there were consequences for their actions as expressed through the curses. But there is something that sticks out to me now that I hadn't considered before, and that is the garments of skins that God made for them, and what they represented. As coverings for their sin. (Psalm 32:1) Personally, I think it's very possible that the Lord still walked with Adam & Eve beyond the Garden. It would explain how Abel knew that a firstling of His flock was an acceptable offering to God. The Lord's response to Cain's offering also suggests that Cain knew what God expected as well:

"If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him." Genesis 4:7

Those words jump out at me, If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? I think this reveals a lot about the Lord's attitude toward Adam & Eve and that it's likely He didn't cut them off completely as we might have all assumed.

JesusBeliever

Death entered the world because of Adam's sin and the ground was cursed to bear thornes
and Jesus would enter death and wear a crown of thorns. Christ is in all the stories of scripture.

Yes I agree with you. Christ is in all the stories of scripture and I'm learning little by little to see Him prophesied in all of the stories. That's why I mentioned the Garment of Skins in my previous post to rusra02. As they seem to represent Christ's sacrifice for our sins (Psalm 32:1)

rusra02

Premium Member
It's important to remember that Adam's sin was not the result of any imperfection or weakness, but rather a deliberate act. God condemned both humans to death, just as he said he would. Neither is there evidence of repentance on Adam's part. Instead, he sought to shift the blame to his wife and even implied God was responsible, saying; " The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit from the tree, so I ate.” Eve did likewise, blaming the serpent. For these reasons, I do not believe God forgave either, and both Adam and Eve died without hope of a resurrection, unlike their offspring.

JesusBeliever

P.S. Just finished watching the video, thanks for sharing it.
Was very inspiring!

JesusBeliever

It's important to remember that Adam's sin was not the result of any imperfection or weakness, but rather a deliberate act. God condemned both humans to death, just as he said he would. Neither is there evidence of repentance on Adam's part. Instead, he sought to shift the blame to his wife and even implied God was responsible, saying; " The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit from the tree, so I ate.” Eve did likewise, blaming the serpent. For these reasons, I do not believe God forgave either, and both Adam and Eve died without hope of a resurrection, unlike their offspring.
I've never heard this interpretation before, and honestly I'm quite surprised that you're so certain of their fate. May I ask where this interpretation comes from? I'm a big believer in the Bible proving the Bible and I can think of several verses that suggest otherwise. Take the whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 15 for example. I hope this is not starting to sound like a debate to anyone? Coz if so, we might be asked to move :) I'd like to continue this conversation if you'd like.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I find it very peculiar discussing this story as if it were a real event, rather than a fable.
it is better to approach it, as about what the story teller is trying to teach us about morality.

JesusBeliever

I find it very peculiar discussing this story as if it were a real event, rather than a fable.
it is better to approach it, as about what the story teller is trying to teach us about morality.
Hi Terry, you could possibly be right, except I'm inclined to ask what the story teller is trying to teach us about the Good News of Christ. I just finished watching this video that seems to do just that. I found it quite profound and inspiring so thought I'd share it:

Acim

Revelation all the time
Hi there, can you expand on your thoughts a bit more coz I'm not very familiar with the word deity so am unsure of what you are saying?

Deity means god.

Expanding on my thoughts could take away from yours a tad, but since you asked.....
I'll go in chronological order - to explain why I find reason to question the entity as a god

Genesis 2:4 - changes over the naming reference of the entity
Genesis 2's use of the word "good" (in this chapter about creating) is different than Chapter 1 - specifically I draw attention to "not good that man should be alone" (Gen. 2:18). Odd, to me that a Creator would see Creation as 'alone.'
Geneses 2:16 is the turning point of the chapter (and really the entire narrative from that point on). I observe a lie is told here. More in a moment.
Genesis 2:21 references a deep sleep caused upon Adam. No reference to Adam waking up after this point. In my opinion, this relates to what you are bringing up in OP and could partially explain why it is seems plausible for Adam to hide from this entity. Essentially, from this point on, 'god' is possibly a dream entity for Adam, as is Eve. Eve is not shown as receiving the commandment (deception) given to Adam in 2:16. Though it is implied, for sure.
Genesis 3:1-4 (while Eve is alone, emphasis on alone - or apart from Adam) - she encounters Snake who tells the truth to Eve and exposes the lie (as a lie) told in 2:16.

The rest picks up with what you are getting at, or is me just elaborating on semi-minor points to what I have already explained. Would just add that from Genesis 3:13 to 3:24 (end of chapter) - had the entity made all this clear in 2:16 rather than keeping it simple (and essentially lying), things could've been different, arguably. But alas, one I hope realizes what is being conveyed isn't intended to be anything other than what is being revealed about the entity.

I'm aware of alternative explanations. I find they 'add to the Word' by suggesting 'God' was testing Adam by calling to him and asking what he had done, suggesting he be forthright, which he was, and well, that didn't end 'good.'

Going from "not good that man should be alone" to "he drove out the man" (Genesis 3:24).
Did I mention there's no reference to Adam awakening from the deep sleep this entity caused? Ever.

rusra02

Premium Member
Jesus Christ believed Adam and Eve to be real people, and he should know, IMO.