• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inspiration from the Bible

PearlSeeker

In the bible it's a human sacrifice. Wouldn't the same message get across if a human wasn't used?

I'm glad you don't make human sacrifices but hypothetically speaking, God doesn't share these sentiments.
At the time human sacrifice was normal for pagans. The story of Abraham actually explains how Abraham's line diverged from this practice - replacing humans with animals.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
At the time human sacrifice was normal for pagans. The story of Abraham actually explains how Abraham's line diverged from this practice - replacing humans with animals.

Abraham was a pagan?

I'm sure there are other things of value God could have told Abraham to sacrifice than a human or choose a different form of sacrifice not death.

Your comment makes it seem God used "pagan activities" to teach Abraham rather than use a method not congruent to god's enemies.

Does God follow man's traditions?

PearlSeeker

Abraham was a pagan?

I'm sure there are other things of value God could have told Abraham to sacrifice than a human or choose a different form of sacrifice not death.

Your comment makes it seem God used "pagan activities" to teach Abraham rather than use a method not congruent to god's enemies.

Does God follow man's traditions?
Yes, Abraham was a pagan (from Ur). At the time there were only pagans. Abraham was the father of the future chosen people.

Firelight

Inactive member
Yes, Abraham was a pagan (from Ur). At the time there were only pagans.

Not true. Abraham wasn’t a pagan. His father turned to idol worship/paganism and tried to sacrifice Abraham to an idol. However, Abraham believed in and followed the true God, not idols.

PearlSeeker

Not true. Abraham wasn’t a pagan. His father turned to idol worship/paganism and tried to sacrifice Abraham to an idol. However, Abraham believed in and followed the true God, not idols.
Abraham was born in a pagan family (the chosen people didn't exist yet). At some point in his life he diverged from his roots. He became the first in the lineage of the chosen people.

Firelight

Inactive member
Even the most commonly quoted by anti-Christians: Abraham sacrificing his son. What inspiration do you learn from that and how do you apply that to your every life as a believer of the god of Abraham?

This story of Abraham used to kind of bother me until I started to look at it in a different way. I started to wonder how Abraham was willing to be obedient to God and was able to do (he didn’t know God was going to stop him) what God had asked of him. What degree of faith in and knowledge of God did Abraham possess? It seems it would need to be near perfect faith or perfect faith, I would think. He was able to pass a test that nearly all of us would find unthinkable. Abraham is a great example of how strong our faith and knowledge can become in life.

Isaac has to be considered, too. He wasn’t a little kid. Why was Isaac obedient and willing to lay on the alter to be the sacrifice for his father?

It is somewhat of a similarity to God, the Father, sacrificing His Son, Jesus Christ, who was willing to be the sacrifice for His Father and take upon Himself the sins of the world.

Watchmen

Premium Member
This story of Abraham used to kind of bother me until I started to look at it in a different way. I started to wonder how Abraham was willing to be obedient to God and was able to do (he didn’t know God was going to stop him) what God had asked of him. What degree of faith in and knowledge of God did Abraham possess? It seems it would need to be near perfect faith or perfect faith, I would think. He was able to pass a test that nearly all of us would find unthinkable. Abraham is a great example of how strong our faith and knowledge can become in life.

Isaac has to be considered, too. He wasn’t a little kid. Why was Isaac obedient and willing to lay on the alter to be the sacrifice for his father?

It is somewhat of a similarity to God, the Father, sacrificing His Son, Jesus Christ, who was willing to be the sacrifice for His Father and take upon Himself the sins of the world.
How abhorrent. How many have died throughout time because they had faith that thy were doing god’s will?