• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inspiration from the Bible

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is for those who believe in the god of Abraham regardless the nature of god. (You don't have to be Christian) This is not a debate, so don't address it as such.

I mention this before but not this specific question. I'm trying to get closer to my ancestors and family, especially my grandmothers. Most of which I know are Christian (mostly Christian protestant). That is the only reason I read the Bible is for this reason.

However, how in the world (pardon my french) do you get inspiration from the Bible?​

In Buddhism, in the sutras, I love because it is all positive. It talks about things we need to overcome; and, consequences if we don't practice. However, the manner in which The Buddha expresses these things are not of "killing and sacrifice."

However, my grandmothers are not Buddhist; so....

How do you get inspiration from the Bible?​

I get an icky feeling physically just picking up the book. Sometimes in Psalms and especially Proverbs I can find something to connect with. However, mostly the Torah, I can't. The Gospels yes but Jesus is not god so, when he refers to his father, then I go straight back to the icky feeling I get from the OT since that is where he refers his teachings from. This is not debatable. I'm just saying my observations.

Can you give examples or ways you see the inspiration from verses in scripture?

Even the most commonly quoted by anti-Christians: Abraham sacrificing his son. What inspiration do you learn from that and how do you apply that to your every life as a believer of the god of Abraham?​

Remember. This isn't a debate section; so, I hope people who believe in god reply and anyone else give productive replies.

Thanks guys.

arthra

Baha'i
How do you get inspiration from the Bible?
I get an icky feeling physically just picking up the book. Sometimes in Psalms and especially Proverbs I can find something to connect with. However, mostly the Torah, I can't.

In my view the Bible is a fascinating compendium of revelations over the millenia of time. It reports on the human situation.. oppression of peoples, liberation of people and spiritual salvation. It contains in my view Divine inspiration. It reports the struggles of life in context with guidance.

Abdul-Baha said:

"God sent His Prophets into the world to teach and enlighten man, to explain to him the mystery of the Power of the Holy Spirit, to enable him to reflect the light, and so in his turn, to be the source of guidance to others. The Heavenly Books, the Bible, the Qur'án, and the other Holy Writings have been given by God as guides into the paths of Divine virtue, love, justice and peace.
Therefore I say unto you that ye should strive to follow the counsels of these Blessed Books, and so order your lives that ye may, following the examples set before you, become yourselves the saints of the Most High!"

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 61

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In my view the Bible is a fascinating compendium of revelations over the millenia of time. It reports on the human situation.. oppression of peoples, liberation of people and spiritual salvation. It contains in my view Divine inspiration. It reports the struggles of life in context with guidance.

Abdul-Baha said:

"God sent His Prophets into the world to teach and enlighten man, to explain to him the mystery of the Power of the Holy Spirit, to enable him to reflect the light, and so in his turn, to be the source of guidance to others. The Heavenly Books, the Bible, the Qur'án, and the other Holy Writings have been given by God as guides into the paths of Divine virtue, love, justice and peace.
Therefore I say unto you that ye should strive to follow the counsels of these Blessed Books, and so order your lives that ye may, following the examples set before you, become yourselves the saints of the Most High!"

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 61

Thank you for answering, first. I completely forget about threads if they havent been replied to within a three or four days at the least. Figure no one cares.

Abdul-Baha has a good possitive outlook on the holy text of different faiths. I honestly cant compare the sutras to the Bible. Some parts of the Bhagavad gita I read and the god it speaks of cant compare with Quran, Torah, and Christian scripture.

Its kind of like trying to get into the sequel of a movie when the first one you didnt care for. Yet, there were so many good reviews, it became a "seller".

I havent read Bahaullah writings, so I cant compare. But what you have is beautiful. Thank you.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I can get and often do get inspiration from various religious denominations and even non-religious sources. When I go to me wife's church, I typically get something out of it, and when she goes with me to services, ditto. I also get a lot of inspiration from my copies of Scientific American, albeit in typically different areas than the former.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I can get and often do get inspiration from various religious denominations and even non-religious sources. When I go to me wife's church, I typically get something out of it, and when she goes with me to services, ditto. I also get a lot of inspiration from my copies of Scientific American, albeit in typically different areas than the former.

'Fess up. You've been known to get inspiration from "Goodnight Moon"

Peter Newman

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. - Ephesians 4:2

god.jpg

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is for those who believe in the god of Abraham regardless the nature of god. (You don't have to be Christian) This is not a debate, so don't address it as such.

I mention this before but not this specific question. I'm trying to get closer to my ancestors and family, especially my grandmothers. Most of which I know are Christian (mostly Christian protestant). That is the only reason I read the Bible is for this reason.

However, how in the world (pardon my french) do you get inspiration from the Bible?
It is a Jewish item full of great inspiration but veiled inspiration. If I could reveal this to you in a sentence you might convert, but I can't. Its not meant to inspire everyone, but thankfully it inspires some people endlessly and for generations. It inspires hope in me. I have hope for the world and the future. Its a power wielded against ignorance that is of ancient origin. Is that not inspiring? Imagine that you are Abraham living in a era in which kings regularly kidnap and enslave. The world is about wealth, power, and being male. You are from a wealthy house in a city, but you reject your privileged life and leave to stay in the wild. You go far from civilization to live free and to reject oppression. You live in tents, but you live ten times as intensely. People are attracted to your ethic and join you, and together you stop oppression. What a life! It is inspiring. The Torah tells the rest of the story.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

However, how in the world (pardon my french) do you get inspiration from the Bible?​

In Buddhism, in the sutras, I love because it is all positive. It talks about things we need to overcome; and, consequences if we don't practice. However, the manner in which The Buddha expresses these things are not of "killing and sacrifice."

However, my grandmothers are not Buddhist; so....

How do you get inspiration from the Bible?​

I get an icky feeling physically just picking up the book. Sometimes in Psalms and especially Proverbs I can find something to connect with. However, mostly the Torah, I can't. The Gospels yes but Jesus is not god so, when he refers to his father, then I go straight back to the icky feeling I get from the OT since that is where he refers his teachings from. This is not debatable. I'm just saying my observations.

Even the most commonly quoted by anti-Christians: Abraham sacrificing his son. What inspiration do you learn from that and how do you apply that to your every life as a believer of the god of Abraham?​

Remember. This isn't a debate section; so, I hope people who believe in god reply and anyone else give productive replies.

Thanks guys.

Excellent post and excellent questions!

When you say "icky feeling", do you mean because of the killing and such in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT)?

Israel was a small nation, and had many enemies. If you read Exodus 7:10-12, esp.vs.12, you come to understand that there were invisible, intelligent forces working against God and His people. Keep this in mind, that God was protecting His people, all thruout the Torah....and God has a right to do so. -- 2 Thessalonians 1:6.

That inspires me, to think that God is protective.....and today, it's not just one nation, it's everyone who tries to do what is right! -- Acts of the Apostles 10:35.

The Psalms are comforting....they help us understand even better why Jehovah God used men to write His Word. They expressed their feelings -- even when they made mistakes -- somewhat like we do today, when we regret our actions. And, just like them, God will forgive us in that case. It's strengthening. -- Psalms 51:1-4 (note superscription); Psalms 51:16-17. Angels couldn't write this!

Here's a blessing in the Torah you might enjoy:
Numbers 6:22-27.

Hope this will help you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you for the blessings.

When you say "icky feeling", do you mean because of the killing and such in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT)?

That and the hierarchy role between god and man. I can't see myself under or over people. If I loved someone, they'd be my friend. I protect them and they protect me. Proverbs and Psalms has a lot of hierarchical verses.

The NT sacrifice gets me. I'm not comfortable with animal sacrifice but we have to eat, so.... but then a human sacrifice regardless who, when, how, and why... doesn't sit right. I could never give up my life for god. Giving my life for people or say if I had a child is different because we are not perfect and sometimes we need help. To sacrifice my life for a god who doesn't need sacrifice just boggles me. Makes me think I've wasted this life. It's not a good feeling, really. I already suffer from depression. I can't imagine how ex-christians felt when they believed in god and slowly went away from him. I never saw him as a person, being, entity, or spirit; so, to think that "he" is and he allows sacrifice just doesn't sit right.

That inspires me, to think that God is protective.....and today, it's not just one nation, it's everyone who tries to do what is right! -- Acts of the Apostles 10:35.

Interesting. Thank you. When I read the OT, it gave me more of a Hitler feeling. I can't remember how far I went in Acts but thats a good book.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Thank you for the blessings.

That and the hierarchy role between god and man. I can't see myself under or over people. If I loved someone, they'd be my friend. I protect them and they protect me. Proverbs and Psalms has a lot of hierarchical verses.

The NT sacrifice gets me. I'm not comfortable with animal sacrifice but we have to eat, so.... but then a human sacrifice regardless who, when, how, and why... doesn't sit right. I could never give up my life for god. Giving my life for people or say if I had a child is different because we are not perfect and sometimes we need help. To sacrifice my life for a god who doesn't need sacrifice just boggles me. Makes me think I've wasted this life. It's not a good feeling, really. I already suffer from depression. I can't imagine how ex-christians felt when they believed in god and slowly went away from him. I never saw him as a person, being, entity, or spirit; so, to think that "he" is and he allows sacrifice just doesn't sit right.

Interesting. Thank you. When I read the OT, it gave me more of a Hitler feeling. I can't remember how far I went in Acts but thats a good book.

I appreciate your response.

If I may ask you a question: what do you think about the passage i linked in Exodus? I bet there are many people who've read that, but didn't really get the import of what it's telling us.

Just another reason why we should read the Bible in a meditative way.

I'm glad you're taking the time and reading it.

Here's another pleasant scripture that you might like:

2 Corinthians 1:3-4.

Regarding the NT sacrifice: Jesus was willing to give his life. It's not like he was against it. -- Matthew 20:28.

"What value did it have?" is another question. Can I post to you, in reply, a link to an article that will explain it better than I can?

Wishing you the best.

Last edited:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Inspiration from Scripture? Here's one of my favorites...

I Corinthians 13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. NIV

Christianity is all about the love. In fact the only OT passage that Jesus quoted was "I desire mercy and not sacrifice" (Matthew). Is sacrifice important? Self sacrifice is and Christians are called to be living sacrifices (Romans 12), but too often we keep crawling off of our spiritual alter. As for the OT and much of the NT, I see them as a blog of man searching for God. There's a huge disconnect between the God of the OT and the God of the NT. I don't believe that God has changed: we have.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank you. I'd have to find examples of why I feel what I do. I'll try to find them a bit later this evening.
Israel was a small nation, and had many enemies. If you read Exodus 7:10-12, esp.vs.12, you come to understand that there were invisible, intelligent forces working against God and His people. Keep this in mind, that God was protecting His people, all thruout the Torah....and God has a right to do so. -- 2 Thessalonians 1:6.

I read that god told the Isrealites to kill people in order to claim their promise land literally saying women and children. (I will try and find it). It's in either Lev. or Ex. could be in Gen, but I'm not sure about that.

The Psalms are comforting....they help us understand even better why Jehovah God used men to write His Word. They expressed their feelings -- even when they made mistakes -- somewhat like we do today, when we regret our actions. And, just like them, God will forgive us in that case. It's strengthening. -- Psalms 51:1-4 (note superscription); Psalms 51:16-17. Angels couldn't write this!

I was praying to my grandmother one day and opened the Bible. I'd have to find it but it mentioned god being the authority (didn't say that word) over others and the consequence of not following him. There are a lot of consequences to the Isrealites if they don't follow. Another example is Lev. and preparing the sacrifice to god. Levites can enter the tent and prepare it but Isrealites, if they do I think they turn to dust or something.

Another bigger example is Noah and the flood. Killing people who disobey god. Same as the attempt to kill Isaac, Abram's son. I'd rather disobey god then kill my son. I rather give my life for my child than be selfish and keep my life and take my son's regardless if he will be safe or not. Don't know how one can find inspiration in this either.

If I may ask you a question: what do you think about the passage i linked in Exodus? I bet there are many people who've read that, but didn't really get the import of what it's telling us.

There's a lot of hierarchy and taking lives in the Bible whether good or bad (which I don't see good in the equation), to me it's still bad. I am fine knowing the newspaper has information about things I disagree with, but a sacred book? I don't get it.

Regarding the NT sacrifice: Jesus was willing to give his life. It's not like he was against it. -- Matthew 20:28

He still was a sacrifice. I don't agree with sacrifice regardless if one is willing or not.

"What value did it have?" is another question. Can I post to you, in reply, a link to an article that will explain it better than I can?

I can't find my post to this. Can you post it for me please?

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Thank you. I'd have to find examples of why I feel what I do. I'll try to find them a bit later this evening.

I read that god told the Isrealites to kill people in order to claim their promise land literally saying women and children. (I will try and find it). It's in either Lev. or Ex. could be in Gen, but I'm not sure about that.

I was praying to my grandmother one day and opened the Bible. I'd have to find it but it mentioned god being the authority (didn't say that word) over others and the consequence of not following him. There are a lot of consequences to the Isrealites if they don't follow. Another example is Lev. and preparing the sacrifice to god. Levites can enter the tent and prepare it but Isrealites, if they do I think they turn to dust or something.

Another bigger example is Noah and the flood. Killing people who disobey god. Same as the attempt to kill Isaac, Abram's son. I'd rather disobey god then kill my son. I rather give my life for my child than be selfish and keep my life and take my son's regardless if he will be safe or not. Don't know how one can find inspiration in this either.

There's a lot of hierarchy and taking lives in the Bible whether good or bad (which I don't see good in the equation), to me it's still bad. I am fine knowing the newspaper has information about things I disagree with, but a sacred book? I don't get it.

He still was a sacrifice. I don't agree with sacrifice regardless if one is willing or not.

I can't find my post to this. Can you post it for me please?

"He still was a sacrifice. I don't agree with sacrifice regardless if one is willing or not."

I appreciate your view. If someone is willing, though, to do something to inflict hurt on himself that seems awful to us, (and he is sane - lol), then maybe there is something more to the situation that we might not understand? Keep in mind, Jesus being sent and dying for mankind is said to show God's love for us. (John 3:16).

One thing that might help is to view Jesus' sacrifice as a Ransom. (Matthew 20:28)

Anyway, enough talking. Here's the article:

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005135#h=27:0-31:796

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer them!

Take care, my cousin.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He was not a sacrifice in the sense that you've been told by Christians. I go into great depth about it in this thread. I hope it clears up your misunderstanding, and it might give you inspiration as well.

Different denomini differ. However, Ive read the bible. Whether literal or not he gave himself as a sacrifice. The bible is pretty simple to read. Im not one to quote scripture but this fact its in the bible is hard to miss.

Im headed to work so Ill read the thread later.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He was not a sacrifice in the sense that you've been told by Christians. I go into great depth about it in this thread. I hope it clears up your misunderstanding, and it might give you inspiration as well.

Reading part of the thread about atonement and ransom. When Christ said his father gave his son as a sacrifice for christians sins, he was doing so in the same manner in Exodus and Lev where the Isrealites were told to sacrifice lambs to "atone" (and it says atone. Read a loong while back) for their sins.

So since their sins are atoned for, their ransom is paid, and they are "Set free" from the anger god had on them.

So basically, god was angry at them for sinning. Put them in a spiritual prison. Said they have to 1. sacrifice a lamb (the ransom) to atone for their sins and as as result of the lamb/ransom 2. their sins were cleaned and god saw them again with pure eyes.

In the case with Jesus, god saw the Jews were not following the commandments Moses gave. So he sent his son down to speak for him as to make a representation of himself by flesh. In other words, since people didn't listen to the spirit of god, he sent his son, flesh a human, to speak for him.

He told his son he is a ransom to get people out of prison (not receive god's anger)

and how they did so was

to atone for their sins (the sacrificing itself).

Sacrifice-ransom
The actual sacrificing (verb)-the atonement

They work together.

As for it being true or false, it doesn't matter either way. It's all in the hands of the believer. Unless someone can explain how someone over 2,000 years ago can spiritually save someone by their physical death, it all seems religious interpretation personal to the believer.

PearlSeeker

Even the most commonly quoted by anti-Christians: Abraham sacrificing his son. What inspiration do you learn from that and how do you apply that to your every life as a believer of the god of Abraham?
One correction: Abraham almost sacrificing his son.

This particular verses inspire me to think about what things in my life I have to sacrifice to better follow God's will and what things I should not sacrifice.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
One correction: Abraham almost sacrificing his son.

This particular verses inspire me to think about what things in my life I have to sacrifice to better follow God's will and what things I should not sacrifice.

Wow. 2016... Why would a potential sacrifice of a human be inspiration? Maybe sacrificing something non-human can have the same affect?