• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inner strength or divine intervention ??

Where does our strength come from ?

• Within ourselves

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Divine intervention

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mavrikmind

Out of curiosity I pose this question. In certain situations poeple are able to do things that they normally wouldn't be able to do ( example - lifting a car off of a family member. ) If they are a believer of some religioun they attribute the new found strength to there god. The same can be said for most religiouns. What about non beleivers? where does there strength come from? Has the strength allways been in each of us all along? Last point *chuckles. Do we depend too much on divine intervention, whereas we can do things on our own with the inner strength we allready have ? I would love to hear your thoughts on this :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
It is amazing just what we humans can do, if we HAVE To. I know it is nothing that much "out of the ordinary", but, when I was about 15, my Mother had an ulcer on her leg that refused to heal.

One day, she was lying on the settee in the lounge, my father was fretting, and I saw that my Mother was worried. I just picked up my Mum, told my Father to get his car keys, and I carried her to the car. It wasn't until later that I realized what I had actually done.

Hacker

Mavrikmind said:
What about non beleivers? where does there strength come from?
I believe that divine intervention could have an impact, but I also believe in the theory of, "mind over matter."

Has the strength allways been in each of us all along?
Yes, I believe.

Do we depend too much on divine intervention, whereas we can do things on our own with the inner strength we allready have ?
That's a good question, I'll have to get back to you on that.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
I'm somewhere between the two answers. It is a god-given strength from within ourselves. I believe the divine helps us to tap that power that we already have.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Mavrikmind said:
Out of curiosity I pose this question. In certain situations poeple are able to do things that they normally wouldn't be able to do ( example - lifting a car off of a family member. ) If they are a believer of some religioun they attribute the new found strength to there god. The same can be said for most religiouns. What about non beleivers? where does there strength come from? Has the strength allways been in each of us all along? Last point *chuckles. Do we depend too much on divine intervention, whereas we can do things on our own with the inner strength we allready have ? I would love to hear your thoughts on this :D

I think too many things are attributed to either God or Satan when it's more likey that either are just sitting back chuckling while we wallow in our own actions.

Mavrikmind

Well I'm going to express my own humble opinion. I think we all harbor our own strength. wether it be Mental aquity, physical strength, or spiritual resolve. I think we each have the ability to tap into this "innner strength" and in certain situations these strengths pour out when needed. I also think that each time we tap into this on our own we become stronger as individuals. Also I think using faith can be of help in doing this but if we don't depend on something to "Start us off" the "Inner strength" can be more readily avaiable in time. To quote Dennis Miller " It's just my opinion, I may be wrong"

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that most car-lifting in dangerous situations is possible because of adrenaline. It makes the heart beat faster and draws blood away from organs not vital to survival at that moment (like the stomach), and channels it to the muscles. It also breaks down a compound in the liver into sugar, to give an extra boost of energy.

It's not a matter of divine intervention, it's a matter of physiology.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I agree with the adrenaline arguement.

I remember Veronika Hazdizsmajlovic, who won the track at the Gimnazijada [Gimnazija = Highschool, Gimnazijada = Highschools' competition - an athletics competition between all highschools in Sarajevo] in 1994 and lost in 1997, she was 21 seconds short of her 1994 record, and she said, "I can't run as fast in peace time." :D

I think it's mostly adrenaline.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I simply don't believe in so-called "divine intervention", never did, never will. I do believe in spontaneous internal psychological/psychic/spiritual events though.

uumckk16

dbakerman76 said:
I'm somewhere between the two answers. It is a god-given strength from within ourselves. I believe the divine helps us to tap that power that we already have.
I agree with this, in a way. I don't believe in divine intervention; I believe in divine presence. And that presence is within ourselves. So, essentially, I believe in an inner strength that comes from God within us.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
uumckk16 said:
I agree with this, in a way. I don't believe in divine intervention; I believe in divine presence. And that presence is within ourselves. So, essentially, I believe in an inner strength that comes from God within us.

The way you've explained it, it makes far more sense.