• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Innane Proverbs

Pah

Uber all member
If you give a man a fish, he will have a meal. If you teach a man to fish, he will feed his family. If you teach a man to fish, he will commercialzie and deplete the fish and everyone goes hungry.

I always thought the last line should be included.

Any others you think a little bit wacky?

-pah-

Pah

Uber all member
How about "A penny saved is a penny earned" but who can buy anything with a penny or even earn interest on it?

-pah-

linwood

How about "A penny saved is a penny earned" but who can buy anything with a penny or even earn interest on it?

In defense of this proverb a penny was worth something when it was coined.

Get it..Coined?

lololol..I slay me.

standing_on_one_foot

A journey of a thousand miles may well begin with a single step, but most of us would prefer it beginning with a single jet...

And then there's the classic Terry Pratchett: "Build a man a fire and you warm him for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for life."

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
standing_on_one_foot said:
And then there's the classic Terry Pratchett: "Build a man a fire and you warm him for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for life."

Curses, I'm not familiar with which book that comes from- but it certainly sounds like his! (Anyone else get the feeling a thread is in trouble when two posters both have signature attributed to the same author?)

Most of my other favorites come from good ol' Jack Handy and his "Deep Thoughts".

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me."

"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see."

And my favorite, edited for my particular beloved bird...

"The ravens seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."

meogi

I was always more fond of:
"Give a man a fish, and he'll be fed for a day. Teach that man to fish, and he'll stop bugging you for fish."

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
pah said:
If you give a man a fish, he will have a meal. If you teach a man to fish, he will feed his family. If you teach a man to fish, he will commercialzie and deplete the fish and everyone goes hungry.

I always thought the last line should be included.

Any others you think a little bit wacky?

-pah-
If you teach a man to fish, he will drink beer and lie in the sun all weekend.