• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Injury from pets

Demonic Kitten

I love my dog very much, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't get so excited. He doesn't realize he is a strong 60lb dog and when he gets overly excited you can expect to get hurt in one way or another. I have been knocked flat on my butt more times than I can count and I have been headbutted on several occasions. The latest was last night. His head butt was at an angle to where it knocked my jaw out of alignment for a little while and now it is swollen to where I can't close my mouth all the way and it is very difficult to talk or eat. For the most part I'm okay (I am keeping an eye on it so if it gets any worse I'll go to the emergency room or doctor). I know he didn't mean to...but it still hurt like hell...

So have you been accidentally injured by your pet? What is your story?

A

angellous_evangellous

My 100 pound Golden has stepped on my wife's toes, sometimes drawing blood.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
My boys are only 12 and 14 pounds, so the injuries are very minor. I've had the occasional headbutt, and once or twice I've gotten scratched by teeth trying to break up a fight between them, but nothing at all serious.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
If you are going to own big dogs, it's a really good idea to learn to train them so that they know better than to roughhouse with people unless invited to do so. The training isn't hard to do; Cesar Milan is a good and easily accessible resource.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Well, I have been bitten stopping a fight once. The dog was very ashamed afterwards, but when they are fighting they are so monofocused they don't realize that you are interfering.

Sorry if the advice above sounded snippy; it's just that I have owned or been around 100lb dogs most of my life, and you learn pretty early to train them out of such behavior, for everyone's benefit. If you don't, they will roughhouse with you just like with other dogs; and most humans don't know how to tell a dog "you are being too rough" in a way that the dog will clearly understand.

It's really not hard to do, and you won't have to worry about these kinds of injuries again, especially when other people are visiting.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
My Labrador loves to push his head under your legs, or jump up on you for a cuddle, and he's rather too heavy! But, I love him, so usually put up with him :)

I have a Great Dane/Boxer mix. She is a great dog, but she doesn't know her own strength sometimes. I haven't been hurt as seriously as you (with your jaw), but she has left a bruise or scratch when we are playing.

She is really well trained and will only play with adults and if you snap and say her name she stops immediately. She did jump on us when she was younger, but if you bring your knee up and make contact with their chest as they are jumping they will learn not to do that. Not hard enough to hurt them, but just enough that they know you don't like them jumping.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
No, I haven't.
My German Shepard Dog is close to 100 lbs and knows not to jump on people. If he wants attention, he sits down next to you and noses your leg.

Demonic Kitten

I feel like I should point out that I was bent over and hugging my dog at the time that this happened. He didn't jump or anything. I should have put this in my original post because I think people have been getting the wrong impression about the situation. Sorry guys... should have said this sooner.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've had plenty of cuts and scratches from cats.
My dog is also an easily excited and jumpy dog. I've been head butted a few times, and even poked by her snout. Once she got my on my lip ring and that hurt. She is 50 lbs.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Most of my injuries come from giving Meds it are cat when the needed them, no one else would do it and I got scratched and bit.
Then there is a neighbors German Shepherd who when ever she sees me feel the need to say 'Hi' by jumping up and hitting my noise with hers, almost knocks me out.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My father's cat always cuts my feet and ankles, and sometimes makes me bleed. If she sees my bare legs, she'll attack me basically anywhere below the knee. So I usually have to wear long pants and shoes around the house when I go there, even at night when I'd prefer to wear more comfortable things.

And he has parrots too. Some of them are nice, but other ones have gotten mean from not being held enough. Over the years I've tried to make the mean ones nice again, but it hasn't worked out very well. Some of them seem to have multiple personality disorder. One day I can pet them, and then another day they'll bite me really, really hard. Sometimes it's been enough to make me cry a little because their beaks are so strong.

And I've been bitten by my old pet snake. When they shed, their eyes get cloudy and they can't see very well. And they're irritated. So it's easier to get bitten, and it's best not to handle them at all during that time.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I went to the "hospital" one time..Cuz Blue one of my Rotties stepped on my TOE!!

I LIVED!!! LOL!!1

MissAlice

Had to get some stitches on my hand between my index finger and thumb. Was assisting someone with a cat and just suddenly attacked me. Bit me so hard and wouldn't let go. Took two people to get it off me. I'd never been attacked by a cat like that in my life. My hand went swollen for 2 weeks. Not sure what happened to the cat after that.

I had another incident with a feral cat. He was rubbing across my leg and as I was walking away, he ran at me and attacked my leg. I have a mugshot of him on my facebook.

Had an incident with someone's dog. Look like pitbull mix. Anyway I was out watering my flowers when the dog got loose. The dog was running in my yard. I didn't think much about it since I knew who's dog it was. I think he was just trying to be playful. He jumped up at me and knocked me down and then started knawing at my shirt. I was very scared because the dog had a strong grip and wouldn't let go. I had to scream for help cuz the dog was strong. Finally the neighbor came out and got the dog off of me. He paid me 20 dollars not to sue him. I kept refusing the money but he insisted.

Last edited: