• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inherit The Wind A Great Film

I was familiar with the story and read the book as well as seeing the original film years ago. Last night I watched the latest film version with Kirk Douglas playing Matthew Brady. I got the feeling while watching that a trial such as depicted in the film could very well come about in some community today.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay after a quick Google search I’m definitely adding this to my film collection. Damn!

Jedster

I was familiar with the story and read the book as well as seeing the original film years ago. Last night I watched the latest film version with Kirk Douglas playing Matthew Brady. I got the feeling while watching that a trial such as depicted in the film could very well come about in some community today.

I remember watching the 1960 version, which really impressed me at the age of 12.
I see that the Kirk Douglas version came out in 1988.(Thanks for the tip).
There is also a 1999 version with Jack Lemon
Inherit the Wind (TV Movie 1999) - IMDb

ValdresRose

Trials such as depicted in this film have been going on for many years in the USA, the issue have been changed from Evolution to the rights of a woman to terminate her pregnancy.

As I recall, there was a court case just recently about teaching Evolution and the outcome was that both Evolution and Genesis (I've forgotten the term) could be taught.

As long as these issues can be used by Politicians to gain public office we will need to deal with them. Don't you think?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I honestly can't remember whether I've ever seen the movie, but I saw the play, which was absolutely fabulous!

danieldemol

Premium Member
As I recall, there was a court case just recently about teaching Evolution and the outcome was that both Evolution and Genesis (I've forgotten the term) could be taught.
For my knowledge could you do a little digging and find the case?
Because on the surface that sounds like a deeply unjust decision placing religious belief on a par with science in public funding.

ValdresRose

Because on the surface that sounds like a deeply unjust decision placing religious belief on a par with science in public funding.

Oh my!! We've been giving "per-pupil" payments to private schools for many years. If a student enrolls in a public school the per-pupil funds goes to that school district, if the student enrolls in a private school the fund follow the student. And I believe that includes home-schooling but I'm not sure there.

I'll look for that court ruling on Genesis vs Evolution, it has been years since I've been involved with that. Thanks for responding to that.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

It is a great film, but it is a somewhat fictionalized account of the "scopes monkey trial". What amazed me even more was that Fredric March played Matthew Harrison Brady. For some reason I did not recognize him while watching the film

ValdresRose

Here is an article in Life Science that explains this in more detail. There have been several court cases about this issue and some of them have gone to the Supreme Court. Here's the Web site for the issue: Creationism vs. Evolution: 6 Big Battles | Live Science

If you can't open that site I can copy and paste the exact URL. Interesting concept and it's right in line with what the OP was discussing. If I recall correctly Williams Jennings Bryan lost his bid for the Presidential Nomination over that court case. Their is a lot of interesting history about that court case, since there were several other States that passed the same laws against teaching Evolution, The event happened in Tennessee and shortly after that trial I think it was Arkansas that passed the same law.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Trials such as depicted in this film have been going on for many years in the USA, the issue have been changed from Evolution to the rights of a woman to terminate her pregnancy.

As long as these issues can be used by Politicians to gain public office we will need to deal with them. Don't you think?
The big recent-ish US case about evolution vs. Creationism/ID was Kitzmiller v. Dover, but the result of that case was that ID wasn't allowed to be taught as science:

Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District - Wikipedia

That case has a movie, too... though it's a documentary, not a drama: Judgement Day: Intelligent Design on Trial.

It was originally aired on PBS as a 2-hour episode of NOVA. Looks like PBS isn't offering for online streaming any more.