• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Who has influenced your spiritual journey? And how did they influence you?

I would say Aaron White, the Unitarian Universalist minister of Dallas, is one of my influencers. As well as my friend @dannerz .
-They helped me understand that being in right relation works out better than being right about all my beliefs.
Baha'u'llah is an influencer, as well as @Trailblazer and @InvestigateTruth who has helped me understand his scripture to better detail.
-He taught me the value of monotheism and helped me understand the God of various religions better.
A big one would be Octavia E Butler and her character Lauren Olamina, which in effect created the religion of Earthseed, has influenced me.
-I now identity with the syntheist movement which I believe Earthseed is a part of, and Lauren and I came to the same epiphany at a young age.
Martine Rothblatt of Terasem and Guilio Prisco of Turing Church are huge influencers too.
-The Terasem movement led me to understand that there are many religious and spiritual transhumanists out there, and that I wasn't alone.
Whoever invented the idea of entire sanctification, inner divinity, exaltation or theosis has been a huge influence to me too.
-Which really began the idea of Exaltism, the belief that all people and the things around them can be exalted or have increased divinity over time.

Lastly, I would like to say that I myself am my own biggest self-influence. There are some beliefs I hold that almost nobody believes in, including any of people I know as religious influencers. My futurist Christianity beliefs, trinitarian pantheist views and the ten divine attributes are uniquely my own.

You can list religions who have influenced you, but I'm more or less looking for individual people who have influenced your spiritual journey. Who was it and how did they influence you? Let us know below. :)

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The guys at the Buddhist Path group I attended while I was able. I met those wonderful gentlemen at a time when I was at a real fork in the road. I fear if I hadn't had their positive and non judgmental influence, I would have taken the other road, and be living a very unhappy life.

A girl I watched on IPTV. The show wasn't about her, but she was shown in a clip. She was a young Hindu girl, and she proclaimed that she loved God, and she will worship in the temple, in the church, in the mosque, in the forest, it didn't matter to her, because she saw her God everywhere! That moved me.

A man at the temple. I don't know his name, or anything about him, but the way he worships shakes me. He has such devotion radiating off of him... I wish I were more like him.

Daryl Davis. I love his approach of befriending those who hate, in the hopes that they will lose their fear and hatred of him...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You can list religions who have influenced you, but I'm more or less looking for individual people who have influenced your spiritual journey. Who was it and how did they influence you? Let us know below. :)
Aloysius Ambrozic, Cardinal and Archbishop of Toronto.

In 2005, I considered myself an agnostic and was married to a Catholic. She wanted me to convert, which I was open to, but I had some intellectual obstacles to overcome.

... and then Ambrozic put out his open letter to the Prime Minister asking him to use the notwithstanding clause to keep same-sex marriage illegal in Canada despite a Charter challenge that - at the time - was about to come before the Supreme Court that everyone expected would be successful.

Until that moment, I - probably naïvely - didn't had any ethical issues withthe Catholic Church. Everyone at my then-wife's church was friendly, and the priest was aloof but fine. I knew about past abuses and atrocities by the Catholic Church, but my assumption was that these were all *past* issues.

Ambrozic didn't stop with the open letter either. A few weeks later, a guest priest - one of a handful sent around from church to church by the archbishop - came to deliver the homily - filled with the most awful, prejudiced, virulent crap I've ever heard from a religious minister - encouraging everyone present to oppose legalizing same-sex marriage.

That was the day I stopped kneeling in church. I just couldn't bring myself to kneel before an altar that was used as a platform for that kind of hate.

Looking back, this was the turning point that ended up with me rejecting Catholicism, recognizing my atheism, and divorcing my then-wife (which was definitely for the best). Along the way, it also ended up leading me here to RF in an attempt to find answers to the dilemmas I was facing.

CharmingOwl

I think that some people I met in Vietnam and other people who shared spiritual ideas with me helped influence me, as well as those who discussed with me certain ideologies relating to activism.

P.S. also the people who told me about left hand path occultism because now I can do that, but some of them were seriously impatient while I was trying to figure out stuff.