• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inerrancy of the Bible and other Religious Texts

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fade said:
Lots of books mention floods. Very few(none to be precise) that mention a global flood are taken seriously.
You got that right, Fade (except what you said in your parenthesis).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
So why isn't it simply that the Bible a source that could be used to validate those other books?
I'm sorry, Feather; I didn't understand your question.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Fade, I was homeschooled. :) My mom became a Buddhist and I became a pantheist. It's not always detrimental.

So you shouldn't be allowed to ask questions about the validity of what's inside other people's heads, by that token?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
AV1611 said:
I'm sorry, Feather; I didn't understand your question.
I apologize. I wasn't very clear. :eek:

For example, if I wanted to choose "The Epic of Gilgamesh," or one of the many First Nation tales that mention a flood as my holy text. Would the Bible then be used as simply something I can point to and say "Yes, the flood happened, here's another work stating it did"?

Would this then be okay?

Ryan2065

So just ignore the errors I pointed out in the bible AV1611? I would think that to point out even one error would prove the book is not Inerrant. How bout we start small, tell me how this is not an error in the bible.

King is 32 when he comes to power. Serves 8 years. His son comes to power after him, his son is 42 when he comes to power.

How isn't this an error?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
FeathersinHair said:
Fade, I was homeschooled. :) My mom became a Buddhist and I became a pantheist. It's not always detrimental.

So you shouldn't be allowed to ask questions about the validity of what's inside other people's heads, by that token?
Well now, homeschooling from a buddhist parent can't be bad. It's one of the few religions I have any respect for. So in answer to your question...no. Anyway I was just making an observation based on an assumption so don't take me seriously :D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
I apologize. I wasn't very clear. :eek:

For example, if I wanted to choose "The Epic of Gilgamesh," or one of the many First Nation tales that mention a flood as my holy text. Would the Bible then be used as simply something I can point to and say "Yes, the flood happened, here's another work stating it did"?

Would this then be okay?
Well, here's one of my favorite sayings, Feather, and I don't mean to offend by saying it:

WHERE [whatever] DISAGREES WITH THE BIBLE, [whatever] IS WRONG.

Be it the NIV, the Bhagavad Gita, the Epic of Gilgamesh, something George Washington said, something "I" said, Science, whatever.

And I'm not just saying this arbitrarily. I've read the Bible many times, studied all its "contradictions" (to date, anyway), and done a lot of comparing.

No disrespect toward you intended.

Fascist Christ

Regarding the Exodus...
AV1611 said:
That would be easier to prove to you, wouldn't it?
Actually, I do not need to prove anything. I just need to show that there are other explanations for it without resorting to supernatural causes. I do not profess to know what exactly really happened, so I have no stance to prove.

My point is, how much faith can people reasonably put into this Moses guy? Why is he more trustworthy than me?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ryan2065 said:
So just ignore the errors I pointed out in the bible AV1611? I would think that to point out even one error would prove the book is not Inerrant. How bout we start small, tell me how this is not an error in the bible.

King is 32 when he comes to power. Serves 8 years. His son comes to power after him, his son is 42 when he comes to power.

How isn't this an error?
King who?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
Regarding the Exodus...
Actually, I do not need to prove anything. I just need to show that there are other explanations for it without resorting to supernatural causes. I do not profess to know what exactly really happened, so I have no stance to prove.

My point is, how much faith can people reasonably put into this Moses guy? Why is he more trustworthy than me?
Maybe because he was there, and you weren't?

Fascist Christ

AV1611 said:
Maybe because he was there, and you weren't?
And you know that... why? Because he said so?

Besides, I mean not whether you trust him conscerning the particular event, but rather his communications with God. Would you trust me if I said I was communicating with God?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
For the sake of accuracy, I should clarify that my mom, sister and I all 'started out' as Christians. :eek: I also meant no disrespect to Christians that homeschool.

AV1611 said:
Well, here's one of my favorite sayings, Feather, and I don't mean to offend by saying it:

WHERE [whatever] DISAGREES WITH THE BIBLE, [whatever] IS WRONG.
No offense taken. :) I will respect your beliefs and not challenge them.

*steps out of thread*

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
And you know that... why? Because he said so?

Besides, I mean not whether you trust him conscerning the particular event, but rather his communications with God. Would you trust me if I said I was communicating with God?
Look, after having read the Bible more than 10 times, and living a Christian life for more than 24 years, and having attended college, etc; I have concluded that EVERYTHING written the the King James Bible is the facts as God conveyed them to us.

When I read that Moses talked to God, I now accept that Moses talked to God.

If YOU tell me that YOU communicated to God, I would have to take your word for it, not having a) read what God said about you; b) lived with you for more than 24 years.

I would simply think that what you're telling me is that you have prayed to Him, and He has spoken to you through the Bible.

Does that make sense?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
Somehow, and in some twisted way, Deut, I feel I won't be able to --- to you that is.
Please provide testable evidence of the Exodus/Conquest and stop hiding behind implied ad hominem.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ceridwen018 said:
Zeus was "there" in all of the stories about him. Why don't you believe them?
Were the stories written by men who gave their lives believing them to be true?
Did Zeus personally inspire the men who wrote about him?
Was the most powerful empire on the face of the Earth at the time able to supress him?
Was time itself split into b.Z and a.d.
Are there churches or religious edifices erected to Zeus?
Wherever two or more are gathered in Zeus' name, is Zeus there in their midst?
Does Zeus have an empty tomb?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
Please provide testable evidence of the Exodus/Conquest and stop hiding behind implied ad hominem.
Again, Deut, NO I WON'T.

Not to you, anyway.

When you can respect my posts and the info I've already supplied to you ... and prove it to me ... then maybe you'll regain my respect back for you.

Until then, I have a feeling that no matter what I say, you are going to disagree (as you have over and over in the past).

So work on earning my respect back, then we'll talk.

Ceridwen018

Were the stories written by men who gave their lives believing them to be true?
Did Zeus personally inspire the men who wrote about him?
Wherever two or more are gathered in Zeus' name, is Zeus there in their midst?
Its all possible. Just as possible as it is for your Jesus.
Was time itself split into b.Z and a.d.
No, because Zeus always was and always will be.

Are there churches or religious edifices erected to Zeus?
Absolutely.

Was the most powerful empire on the face of the Earth at the time able to supress him?
Yes. Its called America.

Does Zeus have an empty tomb?
No, but his half human, half divine son named Hercules does. Coincidence? I think not.