• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incest

Skwim

Veteran Member
No one has questioned that there is a trend of going after mates that are similar to your family. This is well known in psychology. But to actually be inscestive is not the norm and does have aversions. Nothing listed there is against what I have stated or what has been studied. The effect isn't overridden but included.
My mistake for initially misreading you.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
My mistake for initially misreading you.
That is fine. Thank you for the clarification on the basis in which we may find our siblings attractive. There are cases and I think they need to be identified and then understood before we can make educated debate over the basis of our aversion.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Without invoking a slippery slope, I find myself hesitant to support limitations on reproductive freedoms of consenting incestuous couples when we do not do the same with relationships or situations which are equally or more likely to produce disabled children. E.g. Inheritable disability, mothers who have children above 35 years old, drinking/smoking regularly during pregnancy. Though that last one is certainly a social taboo it's not illegal.

Horrorble

There are people who become separated from family members as children and end up developing an attraction to them later on in life when reunited.
I don't have a problem with this in general especially for siblings and cousins.
However I would criticise parents with offspring especially in cases when the parent abandoned/neglected their child. Then they are responsible for the attraction their son/daughter feels for them and I believe it's taking advantage. In cases like these the parent could easily manipulate their son/daughters feelings of wishing they were loved my the parent who rejected them.
But for siblings and cousins they have my empathy and I wouldn't judge them.

chevron1

Well, the Bible god was certainly tolerant of the incestuous relationship that existed between Abraham and Sarah.

Yes, in fact, the relationship between Adam and Eve has been called incestuous. God made Eve from Adam's rib, so they have the same genetic material. She is his sister. If Adam and Eve can procreate with God's blessing, it must be ok.