• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what sense do we have libertarian free will?

serp777

I think libertarian free will probably doesn't exist. I'm not sure what kind of free will exists, if any, but it doesn't seem to be very significant.

I've never seen any evidence that free will exists and it seems like our actions, beliefs, likes, and dislikes are determined by our previous experience, our diet, our health, some genetic factors, the current state of our social circle, etc. I mean if all of these different factors are causing our behaviors, which science frequently demonstrates, then how can we say we have free will? Maybe we have some limited form of free will, but I don't believe that we're making very many free choices.

I mean just look at the example of who you voted for. Its probably determine by your friends and family, your state, what you've read on the internet, and your presuppositions.

I don't understand where this religious idea came from that we have free will and its granted by God. The only theists that seemingly got it right are those like the Calvinists.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We have reached a point in understanding of human biology and psychology and sociology, and how this creates a bio-psychosocial sphere that effects us, influences us, determines our behaviors, our thoughts, our characteristics, to go on about this notion of "free will" is to cling onto security blanket of what feels safe and comfortable, a position for those deluded by an over-loaded belief in individualism and choice, ignoring all facets of causality, biological influence, environmental effects, and psychological conditioning.
Maybe we do make some choices, but calling it "free will" is a misnomer at best, a lie of intellectual dishonesty that so very clearly does not match up with reality.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think libertarian free will probably doesn't exist. I'm not sure what kind of free will exists, if any, but it doesn't seem to be very significant.

I've never seen any evidence that free will exists and it seems like our actions, beliefs, likes, and dislikes are determined by our previous experience, our diet, our health, some genetic factors, the current state of our social circle, etc. I mean if all of these different factors are causing our behaviors, which science frequently demonstrates, then how can we say we have free will? Maybe we have some limited form of free will, but I don't believe that we're making very many free choices.

I mean just look at the example of who you voted for. Its probably determine by your friends and family, your state, what you've read on the internet, and your presuppositions.
As a hard determinist I concluded long ago that free will doesn't exist; free will of any kind. In short, it's a bankrupt illusion.

I don't understand where this religious idea came from that we have free will and its granted by God. The only theists that seemingly got it right are those like the Calvinists.
If sin and salvation are to have any meaning it has to be assumed that free will exists. Hence, you'll find Christians of all stripes fighting for its existence.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As a hard determinist I concluded long ago that free will doesn't exist; free will of any kind. In short, it's a bankrupt illusion.

If sin and salvation are to have any meaning it has to be assumed that free will exists. Hence, you'll find Christians of all stripes fighting for its existence.

.. and some of the non-religious. Who perhaps see more benefits in having such beliefs - a bit like having religious beliefs might do so but where the free will aspect might have more truth - having some form of free will at least.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-01-belief-free-linked-happiness.html