• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In France the Yellow Vest Movement has destroyed over half of speed cameras.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yellow vests knock out 60% of speed cameras

Speed cameras have been destroyed in France because they are seen as a tool of revenue enhancement, not one of safety. I can understand their emotion. Though it has not happened in my state Red Light Cameras tend to catch almost solely people that do not come to a complete stop when taking a right turn on red. There are not any in my community, but I would not be pleased with a such an overly legalistic approach to the law.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yellow vests knock out 60% of speed cameras

Speed cameras have been destroyed in France because they are seen as a tool of revenue enhancement, not one of safety. I can understand their emotion. Though it has not happened in my state Red Light Cameras tend to catch almost solely people that do not come to a complete stop when taking a right turn on red. There are not any in my community, but I would not be pleased with a such an overly legalistic approach to the law.
But in fact this is untrue. French driving standards have been transformed since the 1960s when I first used to visit, in part due to their draconian enforcement of speed limits. So it certainly works. I drive in France a lot nowadays and find the traffic well behaved and easy to cope with in a right-hand drive car. Though I do have to watch the speedo all the time to make sure I don't go over, by even 1kph, or I could get done by les flics. (The same applies in the Netherlands, by the way. It makes our English convention, that the cops usually won't do you unless you are about 10% over, seem ridiculous - better to know where you stand and adjust accordingly.)

I think Macron may have overdone it by bringing down the single carriageway speed limit from 90 to 80kph, though. A lot of rural people use mainly such roads, over significant distances, so it makes a difference to them. I suspect this is really behind the gilets jaunes protests.

Last edited:

Notanumber

A Free Man
This man is very good at explaining the situation.

There is a great deal more to it than speed cameras.

Globalism is not popular.

Jumi

I remember when there were people destroying those when they started becoming ubiquituous. Recently there was one guy speeding through every possible speed camera with his middle finger up as criticism of them. So people still hate them, though it makes some money.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I remember when there were people destroying those when they started becoming ubiquituous. Recently there was one guy speeding through every possible speed camera with his middle finger up as criticism of them. So people still hate them, though it makes some money.
...and saves a lot of lives...which is the point, not making money, obviously

Don't forget KE = 1/2 mv². So double the speed means 4 times the energy in a collision.

Jumi

...and saves a lot of lives...which is the point, not making money, obviously
Well not in my country at least. Speed limits existed and were followed about the same as after those came.

Don't forget KE = 1/2 mv². So double the speed means 4 times the energy in a collision.
Yep, though there is quite a difference between 6 m/s and 8 m/s already when it decelerates to ~0.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well not in my country at least. Speed limits existed and were followed about the same as after those came.

Yep, though there is quite a difference between 6 m/s and 8 m/s already when it decelerates to ~0.
Yes indeed, 8m/sec almost double the k.e. of 6m/sec.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The undercurrent against globalism has pretty deep roots and has been gaining ground for quite a few years. As much as the powers that be want to blame outside reasons and meddling (I.e. Russia) this is a completely self made situation, people are done with it in my opinion.

Notanumber

A Free Man
The undercurrent against globalism has pretty deep roots and has been gaining ground for quite a few years. As much as the powers that be want to blame outside reasons and meddling (I.e. Russia) this is a completely self made situation, people are done with it in my opinion.

This explanation makes sense.