• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Depth Study of 'Fake News' And How It Spreads

HonestJoe

And I think you should stop excusing it as being inevitable. It's not. And it has not always been.
I’m not excusing anything, I’m simply stating the facts. How can you even start to try to address a problem without an accurate understanding of the facts behind it?

You keep making the assertion that it hasn’t always been this way yet you’ve failed to provide any basis or explanation for when and how you believe this change occurred and you’ve not address any of the examples of “fake news” from long in the past such as the ones described in the link I offered.

ecco

Veteran Member
No, it hasn't. It used to be that a lie was considered a lie. Something to be ashamed of. Now it's called 'infotainment' and sold for money. And as long as there is a profit in it, we accept it as a matter of course. Because profit is the motive that trumps all else.
Is that your understanding of why Trump lies - because as long as there is a profit in it, you accept it as a matter of course, because profit is the motive that trumps all else.

You may be correct about you and Trump.

However, I'm still old school - a lie is still something to be ashamed of and liars are known to be untrustworthy and should be despised.

ecco

Veteran Member
It doesn't negate whatsoever the fact that after the fairness Doctrine was eliminated, this kind of crap royally ramped-up to tabloid levels and journalistic integrity went out the window.
If you are going to try to sidestep and tap dance, at least try to make it believable.

fair·ness doc·trine
noun
a former federal policy in the US requiring television and radio broadcasters to present contrasting viewpoints on controversial issues of public importance.
Do you really expect anyone to believe that the thousands of online posters the article referred to fall into the category of "television and radio broadcasters"?

PureX

Veteran Member
Is that your understanding of why Trump lies - because as long as there is a profit in it, you accept it as a matter of course, because profit is the motive that trumps all else.

You may be correct about you and Trump.

However, I'm still old school - a lie is still something to be ashamed of and liars are known to be untrustworthy and should be despised.
Most Americans felt that way 50 years ago. But not so much any more. Now a 'lie' is whatever we don't want to believe is true, or don't want anyone else to believe is true. Hence, Donald Trump and all his supporters. That idiot could never have been elected 50 years ago.