• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Defense of Reading Young Adult Literature As a Grown-Up

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The reason I don't read fiction. :)
Well, to be fair, I think the books I read handle it rather maturely.

Even religious texts have a lot of violence, or at least a lot of them.

I think it's a matter of whether it's handled skillfully or unskillfully, like whether violence is promoted or whether the work is meant to showcase the harm from it. And I don't see any problem with reading sexuality, as long as it's handled well.

Erebus

I read quite a lot of YA fiction, children's fiction, fairy tales and trashy swords and sorcery books. Not once have I felt ashamed of that, in fact I've come to prefer YA books to more adult literature in many ways. There's no room for meandering, YA books have to be tightly written in order to keep their target audience from getting bored. This makes them very enjoyable to read and in my mind reading for pleasure is something that should absolutely be encouraged.
I'd certainly recommend the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix to anybody interested in some solid YA fantasy. Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen are all cracking reads and in my opinion are the epitome of young adult fiction done right. Of course there are plenty of naff YA books, but to be fair there are plenty of naff adult books too. Even some of the "classics" are pure rubbish and it's predominantly intellectual snobbery that keeps them alive (in my humble opinion of course).

Now I don't tend to read the "realistic" fiction that Ruth mentions, my love is for fantasy, sci-fi, the supernatural and so on. As such I can't comment on whether or not these books are simplistic or beneath adult fiction. If in fact they are, then so what? I'd hardly call South Park the cutting edge of humour, but I'll happily sit and watch a few episodes after a hard day. Similarly I'll sometimes relax with a book featuring pretty much nothing but goblin slaughter from start to finish. There's nothing wrong with finding entertainment value in books.
I will agree with her that people (teenagers and adults) absolutely should pick up books aimed at adults from time to time. I would also suggest that both teenagers and adults should pick up books aimed at children from time to time. There's so much out there that to limit yourself to books aimed only at your own age group seems a waste. On my bookshelf Peter Pan sits next to Hannibal, Sabriel sits next to Frankenstein, The Graveyard Book sits next to Charlie and the Chocolate factory and so on. Broaden your horizons and absolutely do NOT be embarrassed to read teenage or children's literature.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, to be fair, I think the books I read handle it rather maturely.

Even religious texts have a lot of violence, or at least a lot of them.

I think it's a matter of whether it's handled skillfully or unskillfully, like whether violence is promoted or whether the work is meant to showcase the harm from it. And I don't see any problem with reading sexuality, as long as it's handled well.

I don't read religious texts that have them either, (Never read Gita for instance, and certainly not any of the Abrahamic big 3) ) but mostly it's just personal taste. I just don't like violent imagery, and sexuality ... well, there's more to life.
Last long book I read was a long time ago, a Hesse book, Magister Ludi. But yeah, the book of life is always there for the read.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Link here

How do you feel about YA books?

I read the Twilight Series and some of the Harry Potter books. I enjoyed the Twilight Series but felt that they paled in comparison to Meyer's The Host, which, in my opinion, read a little more "grown up".

Harry Potter was enjoyable, but, what I disliked about it, was the lack of history and expansion on the lives of the adult characters. The movies were lovely, but, only because you have people like Alan Rickman portraying a mysterious and almost sexy Snape.

Well, Snape wasn't sexy in the books. And I felt a bit of guilt over finding a character like Snape (in film) to be someone appealing, when he was jerk in the books. My maternal instincts kicked in when reading interactions between Harry and Snape. I wanted to protect Harry, felt for him because he was someone's baby.

In short, I agree that there are a lot of great books out there, geared to people my age. Though, I'm not dissing the Twilight series or Harry Potter by any means - they are brilliant books and are the only that I have read in the past decade of the YA genre - I couldn't help but to feel like a bit like an imposter of sorts when reading them. I am too old for these books and that's the honest truth. I relate to adults more than I relate to youth and I think that's okay...

Last edited:

Nymphs

There's no such thing, it's just a marketing ploy. There is no reason writing for "young adults" would be any different to writing for "old adults" which is why a lot of books marketed as "young adult" are read by older people and lots of books that aren't are read by teenagers. A good book is a good book regardless and condemning people for reading any "class" of books just strikes me as sad.

I would very much disagree. I think there is a distinct quality for YA literature right now. Perhaps there hasn't been in the past, but a specific culture around YA has started to grow up. Books like Twilight, Warm Bodies, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, etc., all fall into this group.

I'm not condemning anyone at all for reading them, in fact, I've read many of them and enjoy them very much so. I'm just curious to get other opinions and feelings on this subject. :yes:

Nymphs

Today's children's literature? You mean like Harry Potter and Twilight? I think most of it is mostly low brow pieces of consumerist bull ****.

Hunger Games, Warm Bodies, and books like that. How do you know that in 50+ years we won't consider some of these a classic, like the ones you refer to?

HonestJoe

I would very much disagree. I think there is a distinct quality for YA literature right now. Perhaps there hasn't been in the past, but a specific culture around YA has started to grow up. Books like Twilight, Warm Bodies, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, etc., all fall into this group.
A culture sure, as promoted by how they’re marketed. That’s distinct from their themes or writing styles though, which are not at all dissimilar to other books in the same genres but not marketed as “Young Adult”. After all, that’s why so many adults who enjoy reading books in those genres enjoy these YA books too.

I recall Terry Pratchett saying in an interview that the only real difference in his writing style for his “children’s” books is shorter chapters and even that was really an expectation of the publishers. Good writing is good writing (and bad writing bad writing for that matter). After a certain point, age is just a number.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
A culture sure, as promoted by how they’re marketed. That’s distinct from their themes or writing styles though, which are not at all dissimilar to other books in the same genres but not marketed as “Young Adult”. After all, that’s why so many adults who enjoy reading books in those genres enjoy these YA books too.

I recall Terry Pratchett saying in an interview that the only real difference in his writing style for his “children’s” books is shorter chapters and even that was really an expectation of the publishers. Good writing is good writing (and bad writing bad writing for that matter). After a certain point, age is just a number.

Stole my thunder. Good writing is good writing no matter if it's AA Milne or John Steinbeck. One usually doesn't read to identify, one reads to suspend disbelief.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
As far as YA literature, I see two things here: we have simple writing style and themes that appeal to young audiences.

So first, we have a simple writing style. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, and it takes a good writer to write simply and well. Now, not all simple writing is done well, so there's one of the potential problems. It would not be too good to get everyone used to reading simple, bad writing, IMO. We need to maintain a high standard for writers so sh***y writing does not become the norm, but this is also a problem with pure adult writing. Quality has more to do with trying to be a mainstream success or trying to write a high-quality work.

As far as themes that appeal to young audiences, I see nothing wrong with adults liking these things as well. Like Drolle said, there have been plenty of adult fantasy books which are practically the same thing. At this point, id say it's really just an issue of taste ;)
However, a potential problem comes when an adult only likes stories that are "fluffy" or teeny and has a less mature perspective on things as a result. I know people like this.

I do agree to a point that we are dumbing down the English language and it is important not to lower the standard because of a lot of people who didn't finish high school. I think it's important to maintain a standard and to educate people with a lower reading level. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with fluffy and simple books, but we certainly shouldn't give way to simple tastes and abandon more complex, thoughtful literature.

I think this is not much different than music. Popular songs are musically simple and that's why they are popular, because people don't have to think to understand them. But there are plenty of songs that are musically intelligent and complex. There will always been a demographic for people with more complex musical tastes, though it might not be popular in the mainstream.

tl;dr:

Simple, fluffy stuff can be fun for all ages and there's nothing wrong with it, but often (not all the time) falls short of being an actual enriching experience. We can't abandon enriching art for the sake of mainstream popularity; we certainly don't want everyone maintaining a immature POV on life as a result of the media they read. Good literature has been shown to help people in relating to other people and thinking deeply about the life and the world; this is so important.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I know this is an old topic, but oh well.

I remember being somewhat outraged when reading the viral "slate" article for a number of reasons.
First being the original author seemed to think that YA always had a very clean cut "happily ever after" ending. *cough* the Hunger Games *cough* I mean geez, even when I read the prologue of Harry Potter I just assumed everyone was in therapy. Second, she seemed to imply that anything written for children was beneath anyone who was an "adult" or indeed that adults shouldn't waste their time rereading an old childhood classic. I mean, I'm sorry but where's the intellectual curiosity?

I, myself, have a number of comfort reads and movies. Roald Dahl, Kenneth Grahame, Lewis Carrol, Beatrix Potter and the lovely Dr Sues. I mean isn't there something just awesome about revisiting a childhood favorite, whether that be for a warm nostalgic hug, learning/appreciating a new layer or joke you might have missed as a tot or just seeing how you've grown as a reader? As for movies, nothing beats watching any number of my favorite Aardman, Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks movies on a cold rainy day. Hell, the first ten minutes of Pixar's Up is the epitome of cinematic and visual story telling in my opinion.
And I still remember watching Wall-E in the cinemas and hearing the collective gasps of adults in awe of the space dance scene. If I am not a "proper" adult for watching and dare I say it, admiring a film geared mostly towards children, then I am proud not to be a proper adult.

But apart from all that, it was really the fact that the author said that reading should broaden one's horizons and introduce a myriad of differing experiences of love and/or life. And then eye rolls at the teenage perspective. Hypocritical much?

I say, read whatever makes you happy. Whether that's Homer's Odyssey, Harry Potter, the Canterbury Tales or even Twilight. The majority of so called "adult fiction" (the popular ones at least) are usually no higher than the average 9th grade reading level anyway. So I don't think anyone should be embarrassed for reading a book. Any book.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Just been watching a DVD of my favourite stand-up, Stewart Lee:

"The world of publishing is in crisis: publishers sell hot titles as massive discounts to supermarkets, driving independent publishers out of business. I remember when the last Harry Potter title came out, I think it was Harry Potter and the Crock of ****. Remember that? Or Harry Potter and the Mitten of Wool? Or Harry Potter and the Stick of Wood. Or Harry Potter and the Forest of Embarrassment. Or Harry Potter and the meh meh meh. Anyway, I was in Tesco’s, and they were literally delivering the new Harry Potter books on forklift trucks, on pallets, into the supermarket. "Get your books! Pile up the books! Get a multi-pack of books! Why not take an extra book home, put it in the freezer?" You know, those Harry Potter books, you know they’re for children, don’t you? They’re aimed at children. People do that to me, "Have you read the new Harry Potter book, Stew, it’s good, have you read it?" No, I haven’t read it, because I’m a forty-year-old man. "You should read it, Stew, it’s about a wizard in a school." I’m not reading it! I’m a grown— I’m an adult! "Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?" No, I haven’t. I haven’t read it, but I have read the complete works of the romantic poet and visionary William Blake. So **** off." "

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Just been watching a DVD of my favourite stand-up, Stewart Lee:
"The world of publishing is in crisis: publishers sell hot titles as massive discounts to supermarkets, driving independent publishers out of business. I remember when the last Harry Potter title came out, I think it was Harry Potter and the Crock of ****. Remember that? Or Harry Potter and the Mitten of Wool? Or Harry Potter and the Stick of Wood. Or Harry Potter and the Forest of Embarrassment. Or Harry Potter and the meh meh meh. Anyway, I was in Tesco’s, and they were literally delivering the new Harry Potter books on forklift trucks, on pallets, into the supermarket. "Get your books! Pile up the books! Get a multi-pack of books! Why not take an extra book home, put it in the freezer?" You know, those Harry Potter books, you know they’re for children, don’t you? They’re aimed at children. People do that to me, "Have you read the new Harry Potter book, Stew, it’s good, have you read it?" No, I haven’t read it, because I’m a forty-year-old man. "You should read it, Stew, it’s about a wizard in a school." I’m not reading it! I’m a grown— I’m an adult! "Have you read Harry Potter, Stew, and the— and the Tree of Nothing?" No, I haven’t. I haven’t read it, but I have read the complete works of the romantic poet and visionary William Blake. So **** off." "

I'm a Potterhead but that was hilarious!!! Laughed for a good 10 minutes at that rant. Haha bloody genius, that bloke. XD

Having said that, I don't know. Anyone who feels the need to boast about their "sophisticated" reading choices seems a tad .........insecure to me. I personally don't see why people have the need to say "I'm an adult because I indulge my intellect with the delightfully high brow idiosyncrasies of Shakespeare and marvel at the mastery of Virgil."
Christ I didn't even realize reading "grown up authors" was some big epic achievement. If that's the case then I think I'm owed a few Adult Medals for enjoying Classics. XD

(Apologies in advance for the language.)
People seem to conveniently forget that a lot of the "grown up greats" of classic literature were actually very vulgar artists, in every sense of the word. The Greek plays have fart jokes galore, Shakes wasn't above throwing in some c**t jokes, Wilde often played with sex jokes and innuendos, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are quite dirty and Arabian Nights sometimes borders on erotica. That's just to name a few.
Not to say Harry Potter is "high art" or on the same level as something like The Gilgamesh Epic or Homer's Odyssey or whatever. But I find people who dismiss children's literature as adults to be quite snobbish, arrogant and dare I say a tad ignorant. I mean, do you know what else is found in the children's section these days? Authors/poets like Rudyard Kipling, Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain. And I pity anyone who can't find anything of worth in something like AA Milne or worse Kenneth Grahame.

Sorry for being so long winded. =) I wasn't directing this at anyone in particular, just had some random musings.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
@SomeRandom
Haha glad you enjoyed the rant and didn't take offence. I think Stewart Lee will use any and all grist for his mill.
And yes there's nothing bawdier than some of our "adult classics"!!!

HonestJoe

How do you feel about YA books?
I don't believe in them. The concept is a marketing ploy because anything categorised as being for "people like you" can help them sell. Good authors choosing to use category (or pushed in to it by their publishers) will still be good writers and their work will inevitably appeal to adults too, just as many books written for adults appeal to young adults.

I don't even think there is a vast difference between adult and young adult novels (outside the obviously adult subjects), not least because there isn't a vast difference between the average 15 and 25 year old (or often, 50 year old). I recall reading an interview with Terry Pratchett who said he didn't really do anything differently when writing his young adult books and the only real difference was chapter titles, which his publisher made him include and people of all ages enjoy both.