• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #18: Proselytizing Sub-forum

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I strongly agree with the statement.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • I somewhat agree with the statement.

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I somewhat disagree with the statement.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I strongly disagree with the statement.

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
An atheist board I was on had a special forum for proselytizers: instead of banning them outright, they were restricted to that one forum where they could complain to their heart's content how they were being mistreated and other members were allowed to mock them.

That sort of forum for proselytizers has a certain appeal, but probably wouldn't be a good fit with the tone of RF.

Hmmm...can I update my religion description to match yours? It works better on a couple of levels...

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Please Note: As you might know, proselytizing is currently prohibited everywhere on the Forum. Members are prohibited from attempting to convert other members to their faiths by means of asserting that their faiths are unquestionably true.
.​

We come across people with this reasoning all the time, even accusing others of lying if they criticize the "true faith" or say that they are "blind". So it seems that this rule pretty much isn't enforced anyway and the forum has become a space for proselytising.

I strongly disagree that a proselytising section should be outrightly allowed as it would take away from the depth and intent of RF post IMO, as there would be people who only wish to proselytise. It could also be a breeding ground for unsavoury characters who wish to start their own weird, potentially harmful, groups and this could backlash on the forum. I think it would make this forum a breeding ground for indoctrination.

I think that RF's current format is best. The DIR's serve the closest we should go to proselytising. The debate forums are best to investigate the foundation of beliefs because it allows people to question statements and really scrutinise a belief, and based off those answers a person can decide whether a religion is true or not.

I see RF as a place where INTELLECTUALS from various beliefs and non beliefs can be found, which is what makes it awesome. There are many knowledgeable people on here. I think a proselytising section could also invite the anti-intellectual and RF could become as average as other forums.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I voted somewhat agree. I still find it better to allow people to proselytize within their own DIRs and not outside of them, if we are going to allow it at all.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
After reading the other posts, I have decided to do something which I'd rarely do in these polls and change my vote with the statement that I still don't dislike the idea, but recognize the issues others have brought up and consider them legitimate, and I want to try to hold out for a better proposal of this idea if possible even if it alters the original idea a bit. Since this vote is just about 50-50 right now, I really don't want my vote to be the tipping point that brings it into play. But this is all my personal opinion and stuff, and based on my own perceptions.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I would go as far as saying that it could jepodise the future of the forum.
It is a free ticket for any dangerous and hair brained sect to use RF as a legitimising platform. It could quickly destroy it's reputation as a serious place to discuss religious matters in a friendly way.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I strongly agree. As I see it, it would be a place where we can do what we try to hide but do anyway. One could promote an idea without having to restrict ones language - and one could ask someone proselytizing in an other section to move it to the new one.
Will "Evolution vs. Creationism" be moved?

Come to the Dark side, we have cookies!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I voted 'strongly agree' because any member visiting that section would be aware that they would be sold stuff. :)

They could always retreat back to the 'no-selling!' area.

My vote is impartial because I can't think of anything to sell, sadly.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I strongly agree. As I see it, it would be a place where we can do what we try to hide but do anyway. One could promote an idea without having to restrict ones language - and one could ask someone proselytizing in an other section to move it to the new one.
Will "Evolution vs. Creationism" be moved?

Come to the Dark side, we have cookies!

Even though I strongly disagree with a proselytising section, I wonder if it would be completely transparent to the community so that we can all see what is written and a general review of the beliefs in question could be had? Like a member review?

Maybe there should also be an age restriction to the site? Just in case members who want to proselytise start inviting young people to the forum in order to take advantage of them and indoctrinate them? Or will the featured thread prevent them from doing this?

We could also have a topic section maybe that stores all threads relating to debates and discussions on certain topics in order for someone else to see on the home page.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am all for opning a section for prozelyting, because if you are curioues about a part of a certain religion ør path, you can freely ask questions there without anyone can bash you or ridecule answer you will get.

Some religions and Cultivation paths do have a part where sharing wisdom/prozelye is a part of that part.

That it buggs non believers when they see others sharing of wisdom, will then be out of their path. And they do not need to visit a part of the forum dedicated to prozelyting.
It's a win win situation.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I thought a key point of RF is proselytising! (I think that was a joke).

As someone who already finds the distinction between the debate and discussion sub-forums rather too grey an area (though I'm sure it keeps the mods off the streets) I'm not personally feeling the need for another category of conversation. For me it'll probably be just another place for me to post inappropriately. :oops:

Anyhoo if enough other members are feeling the need then by all means knock yourself out. I can see members being conscripted for modding duties. :p

I voted Meh.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I wonder how many want or have requested a place to proselytize?

Regardless of the numbers, I myself do consider it, proselytization, a question to eventually crop up on a forum that is largely focused on religion. Sometimes we little guys kind of just go to General Discussions or the Jokes section, and we end up not thinking of many possibilities of how a religious site can handle the religion aspects. Or to put it in much much simpler terms, I think ideas involving religion should mostly be weighed quite often on here, even when 10-20 members aren't pitching the idea, and even if they don't put the same weight on general ideas like whether there should be a haggis with mint sauce forum.