• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Images of Tyr and Fenris

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Hi Heathens (and others).

Something I've noticed lately is that many of the statues and other images available out there of Tyr also feature the wolf Fenris. Unsurprisingly, usually they are based on the familiar scene from the story of Fenris' binding where Tyr places his hand in the wolf's jaws to assure him that he will be free after testing the third fetter Gleipnir. The loss of his hand during this scene is an (maybe even the) iconic moment in what we know of Tyr and is thus very commonly depicted.

My question is this: If you have/had a shrine and felt inclined to display a statue or other image of Tyr upon it, how would you feel about displaying one which depicted this scene and therefore also depicted Fenris? Would it simply be a tribute to Tyr's stalwartly nature and willingness to sacrifice for his kin, or would it be tantamount to having Fenris himself part of your shrine? What are the implications of such?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Hi Heathens (and others).

Something I've noticed lately is that many of the statues and other images available out there of Tyr also feature the wolf Fenris. Unsurprisingly, usually they are based on the familiar scene from the story of Fenris' binding where Tyr places his hand in the wolf's jaws to assure him that he will be free after testing the third fetter Gleipnir. The loss of his hand during this scene is an (maybe even the) iconic moment in what we know of Tyr and is thus very commonly depicted.

My question is this: If you have/had a shrine and felt inclined to display a statue or other image of Tyr upon it, how would you feel about displaying one which depicted this scene and therefore also depicted Fenris? Would it simply be a tribute to Tyr's stalwartly nature and willingness to sacrifice for his kin, or would it be tantamount to having Fenris himself part of your shrine? What are the implications of such?

My personal opinion is that it would be showing his bravery and self sacrifice. But that's only my opinion. I think it would be very appropriate to having that scene in a shrine