• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm somewhere between an agnostic and an atheist.

lukethethird

unknown member
I know of someone that believes that gods do not exist and that all known descriptions of gods are downright ridiculous. Is there an 'ism' for that?

PureX

Veteran Member
I am an agnostic theist because as a human I cannot determine the nature or existence of the "source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is" (God). However, the question remains open to me, and then so does the possibility that the solution to that question is the best solution I could possibly imagine, ... or even better! And I find that by trusting that this IS the solution to the question of the source, sustenance, and purpose of all being (a "God' that is even better than the best I can imagine), that I become a better, happier, healthier person as a result. So I choose to trust in that as the 'solution' to the greatest existential question confronting me.

Last edited:

MikeDwight

I can't say I know for a fact whether god or gods exist. I can't say I know what to believe in regarding religion. I can say that the existence of god or gods is merely a possibility. I don't flat out deny the existence of god or gods as if I were to know their non-existence for a fact. I can say that the things Jesus Christ taught in the bible regarding human behavior and morals are true and that I believe Jesus Christ was a good person and I believe there historically was at least a mortal human named Jesus Christ. Whether Jesus Christ was the actual Son of God is questionable in my mind. The existence of an eternal heaven or hell is questionable in my mind.

I believe that any human who says he knows that
any god or gods don't exist for a fact is a flat-out liar. I also believe that any human who claims that he knows a god or gods exist for a fact MIGHT just be on the level but there is still no way for me to verify whether what he is saying is true.

I'm being honest here.
Listen, guys! That'd be me too if I didn't find Studying!
tile-42d9417e-tile-lg[1].jpg

The Trinity of studying, its business.

UAH_SSB_sq[1].jpg

Throw in some AntiDisestablishmentarianism. Salute!

istockphoto-933532060-1024x1024[1].jpg
Get into the only Accounting studygroups. Hail satan.

MikeDwight

Check out Senor buzzcut. West Virginia. Country Momma.
upload_2019-12-20_11-48-32.jpeg

Auditing pens come in more than 31 flavors.

Try this one. If three Acts of God each caused 1,000 dollars in damages to fixed plant,property, Equipment, and you debit God Expense 3,000... matching credit is what?

Another for the atheist and agnostics. 10 principles of GAAP?

Last edited:

MikeDwight

The best accounting comes in threes , like... compound entries,
Interest Expense 100
Payable Loan 900
Cash 1000

lukethethird

unknown member
I am an agnostic theist because as a human I cannot determine the nature or existence of the "source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is" (God). However, the question remains open to me, and then so does the possibility that the solution to that question is the best solution I could possibly imagine, ... or even better! And I find that by trusting that this IS the solution to the question of the source, sustenance, and purpose of all being (a "God' that is even better than the best I can imagine), that I become a better, happier, healthier person as a result. So I choose to trust in that as the 'solution' to the greatest existential question confronting me.
There is nothing to determine, the world doesn't come with a purpose. Purpose is a man made concept invented to make sense of things, and so therefore no need for theism. Sorry if I pulled the rug out from under your world view but someone had to break it to you.

PureX

Veteran Member
There is nothing to determine, the world doesn't come with a purpose. Purpose is a man made concept invented to make sense of things, and so therefore no need for theism. Sorry if I pulled the rug out from under your world view but someone had to break it to you.
You don't know anything more than anyone else does regarding the source, sustenance, or purpose of existence; which is basically nothing. So you have no ability to "pull any rugs" from under anyone else. Blindly proclaiming that human existential conceptualizations are meaningless is just childish and self-destructive materialist gibberish. And I'd shutter to think what humanity would become if it were ever foolish enough to accept such insane and inhuman nonsense en masse. We're crazy and dangerous enough as it is.

lukethethird

unknown member
You don't know anything more than anyone else does regarding the source, sustenance, or purpose of existence; which is basically nothing. So you have no ability to "pull any rugs" from under anyone else. Blindly proclaiming that human existential conceptualizations are meaningless is just childish and self-destructive materialist gibberish. And I'd shutter to think what humanity would become if it were ever foolish enough to accept such insane and inhuman nonsense en masse. We're crazy and dangerous enough as it is.
Purpose is whatever you decide it is, it's a subjective exercise, find all the purpose in the world your little heart desires, knock yourself out, but don't go about fear mongering because others are free to determine their own purpose.

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
I can't say I know for a fact whether god or gods exist. I can't say I know what to believe in regarding religion. I can say that the existence of god or gods is merely a possibility. I don't flat out deny the existence of god or gods as if I were to know their non-existence for a fact. I can say that the things Jesus Christ taught in the bible regarding human behavior and morals are true and that I believe Jesus Christ was a good person and I believe there historically was at least a mortal human named Jesus Christ. Whether Jesus Christ was the actual Son of God is questionable in my mind. The existence of an eternal heaven or hell is questionable in my mind.

I believe that any human who says he knows that
any god or gods don't exist for a fact is a flat-out liar. I also believe that any human who claims that he knows a god or gods exist for a fact MIGHT just be on the level but there is still no way for me to verify whether what he is saying is true.

I'm being honest here.
Hi Jonathan, what I’m going to say will be written several times in this and many more forums and other places but, because it will speak a truth, it will get ignored.

The Christian Scriptures, and ALL OTHER religions refer to ‘A God’ and ‘Gods’. There should be no misunderstanding that there is a God and there are Gods.

What the mainstay of people are unwilling to understand is that the word, term, or definition of ‘GOD’, is simply this and these:
  • A deity (Spirit Being OR Person) who is worshipped and revered as being:
  • Creator
  • Ruler
  • Sovereign
  • Master
  • Ultimate Judge
  • The Source of inspiration, power, and Being
all WITHIN A CONTEXTUAL SETTING.

We must always check for the CONTEXT in which we use the title or term, ‘God’. The title is in no way EXCLUSIVE to ANY BEING (real or imaginary). Indeed, we can say:
  • A Judge is GOD (context) In HIS courtroom
  • A Father (certainly in Jewish terms) is GOD (context) In HIS House
  • A Chess master is GOD (context) In HIS game
  • Money (etc!) is many people’s GOD (context) Avarice, greed, selfishness
  • [the] Satan is GOD (context) of the lie
  • (I’m sure you can think of your own ideas)
Although different tribes, pagans and heathens, believed in some kind of God that ruled over them and directed their lives, some of which were stones or wood (supposedly infused with a Spirit!!), the Christian (and Jewish and Muslim) GOD said that he was ‘GOD OF ALL WHOM ARE CALLED GODS’.

This should be fully understandable... it is simple enough... there is ONE ‘GOD’ who is ABOVE ALL OTHERS

PureX

Veteran Member
Purpose is whatever you decide it is, it's a subjective exercise, find all the purpose in the world your little heart desires, knock yourself out, but don't go about fear mongering because others are free to determine their own purpose.
Isn't that what you were doing, above? ... Declaring that there is no purpose to existence and thereby implying that those who believe there is one are deluding themselves? The truth is that you have no more idea than anyone else whether or not existence has a purpose. Yet you blindly presumed that your opinion on the subject is the reality of it, while everyone else's opinion is delusional. The very thing that you are now admonishing everyone else not to do.

PureX

Veteran Member
Everything is 'designed' by what is possible, and what is not. And that 'design' does imply intent, or purpose. Yet if there is such, it continues to elude us, apart from our own speculations.