• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you put your religious book away for a moment.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To not miss use Gods words, it is better to say " in my understanding" then one do not miss use Gods words

Wouldn't that be assumed by the person(s) you speak with, though?

If I ask you about god, I'd assume you're speaking from your understanding and opinion. Since god is understood differently by many people who believe in it, then it's already implied that it is your understanding or experience not everyone's and not god's. It is also logical because if god is a mystery, you can "only" speak from your understanding. It's impossible to speak for someone defined by an unknown.

I can see it as personal preference to say "from my understanding" so one doesn't feel they are talking for god. Discussion and linguistically, though, it's already implied since spirituality is relative by definition.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my understanding of what I have been told.
In my understanding of what I read in scripture.
Is there a difference between the two?
Which is better, in your opinion, and why?
I think both can be used, because one is the understanding of scripture the other is example understanding of what a spirirual teacher have said

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Wouldn't that be assumed by the person(s) you speak with, though?

If I ask you about god, I'd assume you're speaking from your understanding and opinion. Since god is understood differently by many people who believe in it, then it's already implied that it is your understanding or experience not everyone's and not god's. It is also logical because if god is a mystery, you can "only" speak from your understanding. It's impossible to speak for someone defined by an unknown.

I can see it as personal preference to say "from my understanding" so one doesn't feel they are talking for god. Discussion and linguistically, though, it's already implied since spirituality is relative by definition.
Not everyone think like that in my experience:)

Psalm23

Often in discussions, debates or other parts of RF one can experience that some people qoute from the chosen religious teaching they believe in. Whereas others often speak freely from their belief without the need of qoutes from religious teachings.

Question: How do you feel if you would not be allowed to use qoutes but only your own words and understanding to discuss a religious topic? In this kind of discussion it would be best if one used the phrase "in my understanding" before one answer the question.

Would you feel unsure about your own ability to have deep understanding of the teaching without the need for qoutes?
Or would you feel ok in a discussion without the scripture to back up your own understanding?

I would prefer to be able to use the Bible in discussions and I believe other religions should be allowed to use their sacred text as well in discussions. For me, Scripture can add to discussion but should not replace it. People often can have different understanding from the same text.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I would prefer to be able to use the Bible in discussions and I believe other religions should be allowed to use their sacred text as well in discussions. For me, Scripture can add to discussion but should not replace it. People often can have different understanding from the same text.
Yes qoutes are a good tool in discussion but i think it is also good to be able speak from once one understanding too, as long it is made clearly that it is once one understanding:)
.hope that made sense

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think both can be used, because one is the understanding of scripture the other is example understanding of what a spirirual teacher have said
None is better?
Do you believe heresay is okay? Why?
You are not saying, as long as the person does not quote the scriptures, where he might misuse God's words, it's okay for him to misrepresent God based on what he has been told? Are you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
None is better?
Do you believe heresay is okay? Why?
You are not saying, as long as the person does not quote the scriptures, where he might misuse God's words, it's okay for him to misrepresent God based on what he has been told? Are you?
I can only speak for my self, but if my teacher say something and I use his words in RF discussion i will check if his words are within sufi teaching, i do not blindly take someones word without doing my one research

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not everyone think like that in my experience:)

Rats. Did it again. Me either but then I don't get out much unless trees and rabbits count as companions of discussion.

But I'm actually serious. Since it's implied that it's in your understanding since god is unknown and spirituality by default is relative, why would that clause be necessary?

Not specific to you-it's a person's individual choice-but in general, I don't see why it would be.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I can only speak for my self, but if my teacher say something and I use his words in RF discussion i will check if his words are within sufi teaching, i do not blindly take someones word without doing my one research
I was trying to understand you.
You were saying that persons should say "In my understanding." That didn't sound like you were only speaking for yourself.
I must not understand you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was trying to understand you.
You were saying that persons should say "In my understanding." That didn't sound like you were only speaking for yourself.
I must not understand you.
I try to not say should about others, because that would indicate i see my self as better and know what they "should" do. That is not the case. In RF i only speak for my understanding and from my own practice.

Just because i believe it is for me better to say "in my understanding" it does not mean others should do as i do or say

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I try to not say should about others, because that would indicate i see my self as better and know what they "should" do. That is not the case. In RF i only speak for my understanding and from my own practice.

Just because i believe it is for me better to say "in my understanding" it does not mean others should do as i do or say

True.

The statement, though, is that since it's implied, it's not "needed."

This actually works for any subject.
If the message is implied, why emphasis it with a clause?

(Gotta tag or quote me)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
True.

The statement, though, is that since it's implied, it's not "needed."

This actually works for any subject.
If the message is implied, why emphasis it with a clause?

(Gotta tag or quote me)
@Unveiled Artist. I speak only for how i see it, if others feel it should be said or done differently, that is not a problem. The only reason the OP was started was due to seeing so many mostly answer with a qoute, and very seldom with their own words or understanding of what they believe in :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Unveiled Artist. I speak only for how i see it, if others feel it should be said or done differently, that is not a problem. The only reason the OP was started was due to seeing so many mostly answer with a qoute, and very seldom with their own words or understanding of what they believe in :)

Yeah. I was just saying its not needed in general.

I rather people speak from their own heart and in their own words. I don't know if anyone considered its redundant unless a person doesn't trust his or her own experiences (just putting it directly). I like looking more into things rather than taking the first or second answer.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Okay. Cool.
So I will correct this for you then...
Conscious thoughts said:

I [Conscious thoughts] believes that... To not miss use Gods words, it is better to say " in my understanding" then one do not miss use Gods words.
Is that okay?

I have not heard this before, but it is likely believed by others.
I believe in following Jesus' example and teachings. Him, I consider the greatest teacher to walk the earth, and one of his famous expressions was, "It is written...", and he quoted God's word.
This became a common practice among his early followers ((1 Corinthians 1:19) . . .For it is written. . .), and they often quoted the words of the prophets.

It is what his followers today believe is better, as it glorifies not self, but the author of his word, and it also gives a more solid basis for believing, to those who hold the Bible to be trustworthy.
This has been my experience. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Okay. Cool.
So I will correct this for you then...

I [Conscious thoughts] believes that... To not miss use Gods words, it is better to say " in my understanding" then one do not miss use Gods words.
Is that okay?

I have not heard this before, but it is likely believed by others.
I believe in following Jesus' example and teachings. Him, I consider the greatest teacher to walk the earth, and one of his famous expressions was, "It is written...", and he quoted God's word.
This became a common practice among his early followers ((1 Corinthians 1:19) . . .For it is written. . .), and they often quoted the words of the prophets.

It is what his followers today believe is better, as it glorifies not self, but the author of his word, and it also gives a more solid basis for believing, to those who hold the Bible to be trustworthy.
This has been my experience. :)
Yes i believe your understanding of what i said is correct. But again if others wish to say other than i do its ok.