• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you had unlimited power and authority...

If you had infinite power and authority, do you think you would do a better job than God(s)

• Yes

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Feed them a small creature that doesn't suck blood and spread limes disease.

It would be better than today because no one would be raped, everyone would know the truth, and there would be no war, famine, or Cancer

See the bold of your previous post.
I'd often do nothing to those who refused to listen. They would suffer consequences on their own however. I would sometimes restrain people to stop war or stop a child from getting raped.

Sometimes indicates that war and rape would still happen. The problem also becomes what is a child? Why not women and men? What is a war? Why not basic murder? Why not stop all crime?

You are simplifying and believing everyone is going to agree with you. You are also not understanding the vastness of the operation. You are concerned about lice and ticks but they are minor inconveniences. People need to die or the planet needs to keep getting bigger. I ask again why even make the earth? What is the point of the earth? Just create Eden or Heaven and put everyone there.

Cobol

Code Jockey
I'm an anti-theist, so i don't believe in man made delusions like deities.

If i had unlimited power and authority i wouldn't have things like:

eventual human extinction, nuclear and biological warfare, global pandemic, ecological catastrophe, terminal disease, super volcano, asteroids that hit earth, black holes, Gama ray bursts, supernovas, ice age, isis and i could go on and on and on...but wont

It wouldn't be hard to better than some fictional character.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I'm an anti-theist, so i don't believe in man made delusions like deities.

If i had unlimited power and authority i wouldn't have things like:

eventual human extinction, nuclear and biological warfare, global pandemic, ecological catastrophe, terminal disease, super volcano, asteroids that hit earth, black holes, Gama ray bursts, supernovas, ice age, isis and i could go on and on and on...but wont

It wouldn't be hard to better than some fictional character.

There is no guaranty of human extinction, more probable is human evolution. Nuclear and Biological warfare and even global pandemic are all caused by humans so good luck with that. People have to die or you have to stop new births. How do you eliminate unwanted death and only have wanted death. I think you are underestimating the vastness of the job.

Cobol

Code Jockey
The question is, if you had unlimited power would the world be a better place?

Eliminating what i stated would make the world a better place.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
See the bold of your previous post.

Sometimes indicates that war and rape would still happen. The problem also becomes what is a child? Why not women and men? What is a war? Why not basic murder? Why not stop all crime?

You are simplifying and believing everyone is going to agree with you. You are also not understanding the vastness of the operation. You are concerned about lice and ticks but they are minor inconveniences. People need to die or the planet needs to keep getting bigger. I ask again why even make the earth? What is the point of the earth? Just create Eden or Heaven and put everyone there.
why create earth? I don't know. For entertainment I suppose. Just I would have far less suffering. And there would be no atheists, because God would speak to people.

Repox

Truth Seeker
Having "unlimited power and authority" is what Satan wants. If you don't want a relationship with God, maybe you would want to be like God. Knowing about God and heaven, I see it as futile, something to do until it's all gone. If God assisted me, I would consent, otherwise, it is rebellion against God to seek power to challenge Him.

One may ask, well, you think it is all right the way it is? I would reply, no, but I don't find the world to be holy. It some ways it is like hell. Maybe, that is it. If it is hell, how do we make it better? It is all temporary until we die. I know, we need an "improvement of superstructure government project." It's an opportunity. Becoming the leader of a new world order, I could dictate wonderful changes for everyone. Well, nearly everyone. People I don't like could go to Mars to start their own world. Who would they be? Probable Democrats! :)

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Having "unlimited power and authority" is what Satan wants. If you don't want a relationship with God, maybe you would want to be like God. Knowing about God and heaven, I see it as futile, something to do until it's all gone. If God assisted me, I would consent, otherwise, it is rebellion against God to seek the power which may challenge Him.
I want a relationship with God, He just refuses to speak up and hides himself. He's the one that doesn't want relationship, not me

dust1n

Zindīq
Would the world be a better place? (in your opinion)

I'd make the Garden of Eden, but not put the Forbidden Apple Tree in it. I would put it on the other side of the planet. I'm not sure if that constitutes a better place, I guess I'll let others judge that for themselves.

Repox

Truth Seeker
I want a relationship with God, He just refuses to speak up and hides himself. He's the one that doesn't want relationship, not me
It is difficult to know. I wouldn't give up, it may happen some day. Knowing what I know, it is worth waiting for.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
why create earth? I don't know. For entertainment I suppose. Just I would have far less suffering. And there would be no atheists, because God would speak to people.

Just because God speaks to people directly doesn't mean they'll believe. See Judas:

whirlingmerc

Would the world be a better place? (in your opinion)

Because man is fallen, we need checks and balances. It isn't power that by itself corrupts, but power can lessen checks and balances and lets human nature sink under its own weight.

Now God does not have a fallen nature and so He alone can be all powerful without that problem

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Just because God speaks to people directly doesn't mean they'll believe. See Judas:
I'll listen to him and at least try to obey. I think there must be plenty of other people who would as well. Instead of thousands of denominations and Islam and all the other Religions, there would be more unity if God spoke to people and didn't hide himself. I don't see what good it does our world with God choosing to hide himself and refusing to speak clear messages to people.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I'll listen to him and at least try to obey. I think there must be plenty of other people who would as well. Instead of thousands of denominations and Islam and all the other Religions, there would be more unity if God spoke to people and didn't hide himself. I don't see what good it does our world with God choosing to hide himself and refusing to speak clear messages to people.

I don't Know
Adam and Eve didn't listen
Cain didn't listen
Jonah didn't listen at first
The people building The tower of Babylon didn't listen
Judas didn't listen
Even Peter didn't listen

Edit: Even Satan was an angel that stopped listening to God.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't Know
Adam and Eve didn't listen
Cain didn't listen
Jonah didn't listen at first
The people building The tower of Babylon didn't listen
Judas didn't listen
Even Peter didn't listen

Edit: Even Satan was an angel that stopped listening to God.

I can't say why they didn't listen, but if God appeared before me and started speaking to me, I would listen.

The belief that if you had the power to do so you would have any idea of how to make the world into some kind of utopia is a most tempting bicycle tire pump to the self-esteem. Ayn Rand thought she had a simple solution to save the world from itself, so did Karl Marx, so did Hitler and Stalin, so do those narcissistic enough to become president because they believe their "common sense," cheered on by their target audience of simulacra to whom their "common sense" sounds good, will save the world. Unfortunately, it never has worked throughout all human history.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome
I can't say why they didn't listen, but if God appeared before me and started speaking to me, I would listen.

I have thought the same thing before, but then I stop to wonder; would I even know who he is? Or would I just say "get away from me 'Charles Manson.'"

turbopro

>> If you had infinite power and authority, do you think you would do a better job than God(s)

Firstly, perhaps that's a loaded question: the assumption is that there are gods doing anything.

But, for the sake of argument, let's assume that there is some kind of god as generally defined by the philosophers: omni-*-god. If this be the case, then your two options, "Yes" or "No" may be incomplete. I should think it may be a "Push," or perhaps "I don't know," or perhaps "Who cares," or ...

If I had unlimited power, i should think i could do all and anything.

And, if I could do all and anything, then perchance the earth may mean nothing to me.

I think if I could do all and anything, then perhaps my existence would be just apathy.