• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could go anywhere in the world...

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds pretty reasonable. I hope the homeschooling works out for the best. :)

Within a few months, my son went from communicating with a picture book to speaking. So yup, we've seen benefits! We also learned a bit about his special education documents.. a neutral teacher told me they had him pegged as severely disabled, and her opinion was they simply didn't want to deal with him. He is challenging, and it was easier for them to put him in a self contained classroom, even though that's not where he should be intellectually. (They did this to my older son to an extent, and I didn't realize it until it was too late.)

On that note, I'm looking forward to one day being able to take him to do more hands on stuff out in the community. Always the best way to learn! I have had so many ideas that I can't implement because it isn't safe to do so. Even a trip to the library is 'in-out'... no puppet shows or story times...

Brinne

I would like to see Jerusalem once in my life. Or if I somehow could, Damascus before the civil war.

China would also be a place I want to see, but I feel like I could take a month trip and hardly even scratch the surface of all beautiful sites there.

Wandering Monk

...where would it be? Stumbled on this...igloo getaway hotels. :hearteyes:

MF9PgSh.jpg

Post the places that you daydream about visiting someday...

Colmar, France:

Colmar.JPG

Laika

Premium Member
Within a few months, my son went from communicating with a picture book to speaking. So yup, we've seen benefits! We also learned a bit about his special education documents.. a neutral teacher told me they had him pegged as severely disabled, and her opinion was they simply didn't want to deal with him. He is challenging, and it was easier for them to put him in a self contained classroom, even though that's not where he should be intellectually. (They did this to my older son to an extent, and I didn't realize it until it was too late.)

I'm sorry to hear that. It's probably for the best and maybe it's good the teacher was honest about what was going on if he wasn't getting the help he needs. Doing that to your older son, I assume without any diagnosis, is just flat out of line. :heart:

On that note, I'm looking forward to one day being able to take him to do more hands on stuff out in the community. Always the best way to learn! I have had so many ideas that I can't implement because it isn't safe to do so. Even a trip to the library is 'in-out'... no puppet shows or story times...

Sounds promising. I look back at much of my schooling and think that whilst it prepared me to pass exams and academic work, it didn't really do much else. So it was a mixed blessing and, although I'm not a parent, I'd be reluctant to put kids through that if I do have them.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sorry to hear that. It's probably for the best and maybe it's good the teacher was honest about what was going on if he wasn't getting the help he needs. Doing that to your older son, I assume without any diagnosis, is just flat out of line. :heart:

Sounds promising. I look back at much of my schooling and think that whilst it prepared me to pass exams and academic work, it didn't really do much else. So it was a mixed blessing and, although I'm not a parent, I'd be reluctant to put kids through that if I do have them.

My son still gets some special ed services via zoom from the instructor who caught the issue. She had prepared his lessons based on the paperwork she was given... and found it did not fit the kid. Who he was on paper verses who is actually is was vastly different, and the person who had written the goals had written them so unless he behaved, he got no credit for what he knew(and he almost never behaves). He was given preschooler's work, when he is(and functions at, other than in speech areas) a 2nd grade level.

My oldest son was given so much help he couldn't function on his own(because he wasn't allowed/expected to). Switching him to virtual was difficult because he'd never been taught how to work on his own(though he was capable of it).

Outside of the developmental years where they teach you to read, I can't say I learned much at school, either. Perhaps some social lessons. When its safe to do so, we will enlist him in the art/music/gym stuff they have at school so he can socialize. And when he gets to a middle school level, we'll probably sign him up for math at school...because I am awful at it...